• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31 ncoday

ncoday

Neowinian

• 1,194 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 13:53

Not really.

More than 10 books a week is kind of crazy. He basically just read and do nothing else probably. I would not want my daughter to be addicted like that.

How do you know that?

He could be a fast/speed reader with excellent comprehension & memory. These books are also probably not 300-400 page novels more than likely.

#32 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 14:00

How do you know that?

He could be a fast/speed reader with excellent comprehension & memory. These books are also probably not 300-400 page novels more than likely.

This. I read about 150 pages in an hour at that age. Read a book for 2 hours or play video games... Some how I think a child "having no life" because the read sounds better than a child having no life because of video games.

#33 Paul Austin

Paul Austin

Neowinian

• 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 14:01

sounds like this scene from "Baron Munchausen"

208235377_small.jpg

Sting has a small cameo as a soldier who has the highest number of kills and thus is lowering everyone morale, he is taken out and shot to increase morale

#34 McCordRm

McCordRm

http://richardmccord.com

• 3,236 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 14:14

These stories drive me nuts. Teaching our kids, "How dare your hard work pay off!" is

setting everyone up for failure. One day, we'll be dead and our kids will be too lazy

to help themselves... let alone run a country.

#35 Sadelwo

Sadelwo

Neowinian

• 1,090 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 820

Posted 20 August 2013 - 14:39

Not really.

More than 10 books a week is kind of crazy. He basically just read and do nothing else probably. I would not want my daughter to be addicted like that.

I rather my kid be addicted to books instead of another passive zombie perpetually glued to facebook/iphone/xbox.

#36 majortom1981

majortom1981

The crazy one

• 5,376 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 14:54

I work in a library (IT). Libraries get their money from peoples taxes via a budget vote,. if one child keeps winning the whole time the other parents are more likely to never visit the library again and vote no on the next budget. It has to upset one kid and his family to keep the rest of the parents happy so that the library can continue to get its funding.

#37 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,932 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 15:00

So kid does well at reading club gets noted for it library asks for it to stop because others don't want to put the work in...

That, unfortunately, is the world we live in.  Rather than rewarding achievement, they want "everyone" to be a winner...

And this is also why the employment pool is so unsatisfactory.

#38 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,920 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 20 August 2013 - 15:19

Pretty damn sad

#39 Mugwump00

Mugwump00

Neowinian

• 826 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 15:23

Treating books like track hurdles, swimming-pool lengths or, in the US, hot-dogs.  What Genius!

#40 briangw

briangw

The best damn band in the land!!!

• 3,486 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 20 August 2013 - 15:33

I would change the contest to have different categories and only one winner per category. While I applaud the kid for loving to read (when I was his age, I started reading all of Stephen King's novels and would finish two to three in a couple of weeks), the concerning thing here is that everyone else is giving up and no one can keep up to what he's doing. We don't know if this kid's a genius or banned from doing anything else at home but read. Having multiple categories at least gives a shot to others who might not be as gifted or even have time like this kid does. 

On the other hand, I really think we should also cut out the "Everyone gets a trophy" phase for just participating. We're doing nothing here to prepare our youth for failure in the future. 

#41 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,932 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 15:35

I would change the contest to have different categories and only one winner per category. While I applaud the kid for loving to read (when I was his age, I started reading all of Stephen King's novels and would finish two to three in a couple of weeks), the concerning thing here is that everyone else is giving up and no one can keep up to what he's doing. We don't know if this kid's a genius or banned from doing anything else at home but read. Having multiple categories at least gives a shot to others who might not be as gifted or even have time like this kid does. 

On the other hand, I really think we should also cut out the "Everyone gets a trophy" phase for just participating. We're doing nothing here to prepare our youth for failure in the future. 

I agree with the latter bit absolutely.  THAT I think has more to do with this than anything else.

#42 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,364 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 15:36

This is a tricky one.  One the one hand, you have people who are just lazy and do the bare minimum to get something at the end.  On the other hand, you have others who bust their asses to do well but just cannot keep up with other kids.  Some kids are exceptional and no matter how hard you try, they cannot be beaten.  Personally, there should be a minimum number of times you can win in a row to give the people who want to work for it, a chance to win.  Its not hard to tell the difference between the lazy ones, and the hard working ones.

yea, they should do this with sports too, baseball, football, soccer...  and the olympics!    sorry, you had the best time/highest score but the other team just worked SOOO hard, they win!    /s

#43 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,467 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 15:39

Right -- let's just cut to the chase -- tell the youth they are born failures. :p

#44 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 15:45

Right -- let's just cut to the chase -- tell the youth they are born failures. :p

No, go back to telling them the truth. They are what they make themselves to be. If they want to be a winner, do the work.

#45 Kreuger

Kreuger

Neowin's Local Grouch

• 5,874 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 16:05

And that child's world comes crashing down. Wonderful.