Sony @ Gamescom 2013

Hey, I'm all for it lol! I get a big kick out of seeing people get butthurt over nothing. Sony just dropped the mic. :p

Realistically though, I'm glad we have such strong competition this year. Microsoft has made some key changes thanks to their fan base as well as taking note of what Sony's up to. This has been a great great year for gamers I feel. :D

Definitely.

After all the fighting, all the yelling, all the trolls and fanboys, it all boils down to two great next gen consoles.

Pick your poison, find the games you like and go for it.  I've seen enough to want both.

• Like 3

Something interested that just popped into my mind.  Sony did not announce release dates for the Asian region, just Europe and NA.  I guess they are saving that for TGS, but I wonder if that will be pushed back a bit more.

Pick your poison, find the games you like and go for it.  I've seen enough to want both.

To be honest i think both launch lineups are lackluster when it comes to exclusive titles.

As for multiplatform those titles will be for the most part avalaible on PS3, 360 and PC so i'm in no hurry to buy a next gen console.

I'll probably wait spring 2014 or fall 2014 to see the full potential of both consoles as sadly i can only buy one (not that i don't have the money just i'm not the only one to decide how it is spent).

To be honest i think both launch lineups are lackluster when it comes to exclusive titles.

As for multiplatform those titles will be for the most part avalaible on PS3, 360 and PC so i'm in no hurry to buy a next gen console.

I'll probably wait spring 2014 or fall 2014 to see the full potential of both consoles as sadly i can only buy one (not that i don't have the money just i'm not the only one to decide how it is spent).

That's cool, I can understand why you wouldn't be interested in a next gen console if the launch lineups don't interest you.

I haven't bought a console on day one in a while, so this will be a first.  I see enough to warrant buying one.  The other I'll wait for at least a year for a price drop or more titles to buy.

I am still confused about PS4 exclusives at launch (even if they are on PS3/vita), is there a list somewhere?

I found the "console exclusive debut" for all indie games a bit amusing though. :laugh:

Looked like a good show.  I lol'd at the MS dig.  Still keeping my pre-order.   The game room thing looks kinda dumb.. but I don't have to use it.  Game lineup looks sick.. saving now so I can buy the ones I want at launch.

I am still confused about PS4 exclusives at launch (even if they are on PS3/vita), is there a list somewhere?

I dunno but i don't recall seeing anything worthy of my excitement at E3 in the press conference held by Sony.

The only game i though was looking cool is Knack.

[edit] That indie game by GregK looked nice too. But i might be biased since i was a mod at gamespot back when he was the editor in chief. I have huge respect for the guy so i could be totally biased.

I think it would be helpful to have an exact list of what will be available day one.  Sony didn't lay that out exactly.

Plus, it seems like all of the indie titles are not exclusives, so it doesn't offer much to the launch lineup.  I saw a few I wanted though, so cant wait to see more of them.

As far as the show, Shadow of the Beast was the only big unknown title announced, but they didn't really give me enough to get excited yet. Other than that, only the new indie titles were new games being discussed. 

Overall, the show was fine, but not as loaded with surprises as some though.  Based on this and MS' presentation earlier, I'm pretty excited for both consoles.  MS has their act together now and Sony is putting the finishing touches on their launch.  Now its all about watching the content roll in.

The presentation bored me to death, and those cameramen need to be fired, omg. I was hoping for a game that would make me keep the PS4, I guess I'll sell it for profit. I really want Second Son but it's not a launch title. I guess I'll get it later when a worthwhile title is released exclusively. 

I dunno but i don't recall seeing anything worthy of my excitement at E3 in the press conference held by Sony.

The only game i though was looking cool is Knack.

[edit] That indie game by GregK looked nice too. But i might be biased since i was a mod at gamespot back when he was the editor in chief. I have huge respect for the guy so i could be totally biased.

I am looking for something new+interesting and exclusive to PS4. I checked on Knack in last week and few youtube clips turned me off. It's not my type of game but even then it doesn't scream next gen to me like KZ or RYSE do.

None of the indies looked like "this couldn't be done on PS3" to me.

pre order numbers are the same as ps3?

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/19/1-million-ps3s-preordered/

1M does seem a bit low after all this hype but it's going to be a tough sell in this economy for a $399 console (even tougher on MS side). They probably are low balling that number for competitive reasons.

The presentation bored me to death, and those cameramen need to be fired, omg. I was hoping for a game that would make me keep the PS4, I guess I'll sell it for profit. I really want Second Son but it's not a launch title. I guess I'll get it later when a worthwhile title is released exclusively. 

Yeah, parts of it did drag on a bit, especially recapping stuff we already knew.

If you didn't see any launch titles that interest you, you get to save your money and get a better deal later.  That's what I usually do. 

Change nothing about their release date, regardless of what Sony did!?  I know they've changed things regarding policies, but the release have to be planned with vendors etc, not as easy as flipping the "no kinect" or "no 24 hour check-in" switches.

I meant, I wonder when their release date is or when they are going to tell us. But, point of fact, now that Sony has gone public with the PS4 release we will never know whether Microsoft changed the Xbox One's in response or not.

sony blew their wad way too early. in fact they went a little too far,and even revealed pre order numbers. there are still 3 months to go. from specs,ui,games,price,release data and pre orders. what we saw today was mostly rehashed e3 stuff.

my question is,what happens if Microsoft drops a bomb on them? we still don't know a lot of details of xbox one,some of its most important features. take the media and tv stuff for example. that was supposed to be a tv box on its own(according to WSJ). this isn't something they slapped together to use as a bullet point in the features list. we still don't know much about Kinect. a lot of of the 100 million wii users who abandoned Nintendo have shown they are willing to drop money for motion controls. the 24 million Kinect purchasers have shown they want this kind of tech. hell the ps move sold 15 million as well. Microsoft is so confident with Kinect,that they are bundling it even if it means its an extra $100. Anyone remember the ridicule the wii received by the "hardcore" crowd? until they were forced to respect it. Also app/game development. They can do this right. We all know how app crazy people are with phones/tablets.

TruckWEB, on 20 Aug 2013 - 15:03, said:

PS Vita already is $199 at FutureShop here.  But the memory card are still at the same crazy price.  $59 for 16GB and $99 for 32Gb...

$179 actually.

Mem cards are still a joke though.

sony blew their wad way too early. in fact they went a little too far,and even revealed pre order numbers. there are still 3 months to go. from specs,ui,games,price,release data and pre orders. what we saw today was mostly rehashed e3 stuff.

You're assuming Sony revealed everything they intend to reveal. The whole tv thing with Xbox won't be nearly as good as what Sony could potentially be doing. The fact you need another box to connect to Xbox in order to enjoy their features is pretty bad. Whereas Sony is rumoured to be making a deal for internet tv. Sony has the advantage in the multimedia field and I wouldn't doubt the rumours are true.

You're assuming Sony revealed everything they intend to reveal. The whole tv thing with Xbox won't be nearly as good as what Sony could potentially be doing. The fact you need another box to connect to Xbox in order to enjoy their features is pretty bad. Whereas Sony is rumoured to be making a deal for internet tv. Sony has the advantage in the multimedia field and I wouldn't doubt the rumours are true.

But that is not MS' 'whole tv thing'

I think most people just haven't seen the various reports on this, but MS' tv plans revolve around offering tv content via an a la cart or maybe subscription service.  We know very little about the details right now other than MS has confirmed two major tv productions, Halo and a Blake 7 remake.  We also know they have an entire division being run by an ex-CBS ceo which is pushing to make content deals with existing tv content creators and to create original content.

The whole tv box via hdmi amounts to a legacy feature that they must have thought would be a useful stopgap until they secured all the content they needed.  I'm guessing it wasn't expensive to add the feature and it allows them to attract people that already have cable service.  It's not their long term plan. 

Sony's plan seems to be to offer a more cable like subscription where you get whole channels, not individual shows. Again, we know fairly little about the details, so not much to go on.  All we know is that there was some info possibly leaked that Sony had reached a deal with some content providers to do this. 

Bottom line is that we really don't know MS' or Sony's plans regarding this stuff, we just happen to know more about MS since they decided to announce the Guide and hdmi-out feature.

For anyone looking for a list of launch titles for the PS4, look here:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/20/4641180/ps4-to-get-33-games-by-the-end-of-December

The only issue I have with this list is that its not day one games, but any game coming out before the end of the year. If I'm going to preorder, I want to know what games will be there day one.

So looking at that list, it appears that Sony is relying heavily on the indie games to carry them through the end of the year.  I have to be honest, the launch lineup is lacking compared to the X1 for my tastes.  I appreciate all the indie games, but most of those indie games are only debuting first on the ps4, they aren't exclusive.  At the very least I'll be playing them on my pc.  That leaves the 15 or so retail games and Knack is the only one that interests me out of the exclusives. 

I've said before that I'm not a big fps fan, so KZ isn't exciting to me.  Its obvious though that KZ is the anchor for Sony's lineup at launch.  At this point, there are more X1 exclusives at launch I would want to play than on the PS4, but I'm waiting to see gameplay footage for a lot of this stuff to see if I feel the same way.

my question is,what happens if Microsoft drops a bomb on them? ...

If? We've only been waiting for them to do just that since Sony's lackluster console reveal. They made a snarky comment about Sony's reveal, flopped on their own, didn't take the opportunity presented to them with E3, apparently didn't worry themselves over Gamescom... If they have any cards up their sleeve, it's either a massive card or they've got nothing. I'm more willing to believe the latter seeing how they appear to be on the defensive as of late.

Of course, there's no defense like a good offense. We'll see, but seeing as we're already approaching September, I won't hold my breath. :ermm:

If? We've only been waiting for them to do just that since Sony's lackluster console reveal. They made a snarky comment about Sony's reveal, flopped on their own, didn't take the opportunity presented to them with E3, apparently didn't worry themselves over Gamescom... If they have any cards up their sleeve, it's either a massive card or they've got nothing. I'm more willing to believe the latter seeing how they appear to be on the defensive as of late.

Of course, there's no defense like a good offense. We'll see, but seeing as we're already approaching September, I won't hold my breath. :ermm:

First of all, how about if we want to talk about MS, we move it to the MS Gamescom thread.

Secondly, what was wrong with MS' event at Gamescom? They seem to have done just as well as Sony in this regard. 

You guys are so eager for 'bombs'.  I grew up getting all excited for the 'bombs' to be dropped at each E3.  Lately, I've seen more and more disappointment at these shows from people expecting such things. What I see are people that will overreact before the facts come out.  It has happened over and over regarding both consoles.