MS @ Gamescom 2013

Talking about Microsofts Gamescom announcements in a "Microsoft@Gamescom" thread is derailing now?

Neowin is a special place. 

Yes, it is, if you keep on talking about Sony.

• Like 3

I can't wait to see footage of more gameplay of KI. I'm happy for the indie devs (even though I can't start devving on it...I'll wait patiently) that can get into the program. The FIFA deal is very good for MS, and I'm glad they made it a digital download. Hopefully the US region will get a game as well (Madden is what I would presume).

Hopefully the US region will get a game as well (Madden is what I would presume).

I think the FIFA bundle was a sorry from Microsoft because they are not able to release the Xbox to most European countries same time as other places.

It's that game they mentioned about bundling for free when they made the announcement, so don't think US will get it or Madden.

Actually, the countries that they named were countries that they are launching to, not the ones that they aren't if I remember correctly (someone fact check me). They are just giving it to all European regions, just not only the ones that won't be getting it at launch. I think they may still do a similar deal for the US with EA.

they have me intrigued with the new fable game however, that is not enough to make me want to buy an xbox one. even though they say it is exclusive i have a feeling it will wonder its way to PC eventually like 3 did, however, we will never get to adventure through Fable 2 (from what I hear i did not miss much)

Well I slept through the announcements, but it sounds like a lot of good news came out.

The indie dev program is probably the most important news of the day. Absolutely no cost to the dev and a free dev kit?  That's a pretty sweet deal. MS sounds like they really do get it and are now positioned to attract all of the indie devs that want to come.  The X1 easily matches the competition now as far as ease of development for small or large devs.

I like the new Fable game announced.  The idea of a co-op experience where one of the players can control the villain side of things sounds like fun.  It also seems like they are going back to their rpg roots, so I cant wait to see more about how the game works.

The Killer Instinct pricing was a nice surprise.  $20 for the full game is cheap, but the Ultra pack is tempting, we will see.  I'm glad they are committed to bringing out more character as they go along. 

I'm not a soccer fan, so the FIFA bundle doesn't do anything for me, but its clearly a very popular game in Europe, so that should go over very well there.  The other announcements about exclusive content are par for the course.  Both Sony and MS are scrambling to secure such content from 3rd parties.  I'm not a big fan of the practice, but that seems to be the way of things now. 

I like the idea of using Kinect with Project Spark to capture animations for you character and to use the mic to record dialogue for your games.  If the tech is sound, that could result in some amazingly polished and unique experiences. I hope people really dig into it.

The launch lineup was surprising.  I had no idea that Killer Instinct was coming on launch day, not to mention Crimson Dragon and some other titles.  Its nice to see a Kinect title on there, but since its a Kinect-only title, it wont be showcasing all the options of usage possible.  The info on Ryse is great to hear as well, that should make people worrying about too much QTE feel better.

It seems like MS really had a great showing, answering more questions we all had and bringing out info that we can all be happy to hear about.  They have done a nice job turning around the bad feelings around the platform.  It should make for an interesting launch.  They just need to keep pushing forward, not to mention tell us about how apps can be pushed to the X1.

I am Genuinely happy that Indies are getting the answers they are looking for.

But the moment it starts looking like Android & iOS app stores, they are gonna have to put some kind of ban hammer down.

I still have that gut feeling Live Marketplace gonna look like a junkyard. I hope thats not the case.

trooper11, on 20 Aug 2013 - 14:02, said:

I hope MS announces the release date this week, so we can see just what the rollout for both consoles is going to look like.

They probably will announce it now.  Most likely they were waiting to see what Sony was going to do.

End of October launch

/Truthfact

lol that would be pretty funny.

After all the rumors of a late October launch for the PS4, it would be ironic if the X1 filled that spot.

I think its more likely that MS also waits until November though.  It could be before the PS4, but I don't think it really matters.

lol that would be pretty funny.

After all the rumors of a late October launch for the PS4, it would be ironic if the X1 filled that spot.

I think its more likely that MS also waits until November though.  It could be before the PS4, but I don't think it really matters.

Even if they launch end of october.. it's only Two Weeks.  And I am sure during most of that time it would be people who pre-ordered getting it anyways.

I am Genuinely happy that Indies are getting the answers they are looking for.

But the moment it starts looking like Android & iOS app stores, they are gonna have to put some kind of ban hammer down.

I still have that gut feeling Live Marketplace gonna look like a junkyard. I hope thats not the case.

I think MS said that they will prefer indie devs that have released previous games on PC, console and/or phone, so there is already that filter (kinda).  

I think MS said that they will prefer indie devs that have released previous games on PC, console and/or phone, so there is already that filter (kinda).  

They said that would be their aim at first, but that seemed to be something they planned to open up more as it goes along.

Which is a good criteria IMO.

BajiRav, on 20 Aug 2013 - 14:53, said:

Not the same conference but I think Titanfall looks amazing in latest video. I didn't give it much thought at first but it may dethrone CoD in next gen.

Doesn't really take much to look better than COD.

TF does look pretty amazing.

• Like 1

Doesn't really take much to look better than COD.

TF does look pretty amazing.

I wasn't referring to graphics, mostly gameplay. :)

I wasn't referring to graphics, mostly gameplay. :)

I know this is off topic, but it looks like people will want to be online to get the best next gen experience...

I know this was posted on the front page, but I thought I would mention a specific part of it here.  I'll link to the article I'm referring to:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123043-xbox-one-ui-eyes-on-first-look-at-the-new-console-s-user-experience

The rest of the article is pretty informative, but the part I'm most interested in is regarding remote control.  As a heavy home theater user, this kind of stuff interests me:

Another new feature that uses voice commands also uses the built-in IR blaster. You can programme the Xbox One to control every AV device in your set-up and, by just saying things like ?Xbox volume up? and ?Xbox volume down? you can control your TV, amplifier or whatever else you choose. As long as the item of kit accepts infra-red controls, it can be operated through the Xbox One and Kinect ? and all while you?re playing too.

Microsoft will also be hosting a data library of IR codes ? much like the Harmony remotes ? so you just need to search for your kit and it will assign the codes automatically.

Now that is just cool.  I was wondering how they would leverage the ir tech, but this is great.  I can control all of my devices via voice commands that I setup using a database of device controls like my Harmony remote control does with the Logitech software.

It may matter little to most of you, but its this kind of stuff that home theater users like myself appreciate.  The rest of the article makes a lot of good points about how the OS is going to work.  For you social media fans, the twitter-like follower feature should be very welcome.

Doesn't take much to beat CoD as far as gameplay goes either ...

It may not but popularity says otherwise. I say that as someone who is really bad at CoD and don't like it mostly.

It may not but popularity says otherwise. I say that as someone who is really bad at CoD and don't like it mostly.

Popularity doesn't equal quality ;)

I'm not saying they are bad games. Just nothing to write home about. I would not put any of the CoDs past the original in my list of the best fps i've ever played.

Popularity doesn't equal quality ;)

I'm not saying they are bad games. Just nothing to write home about. I would not put any of the CoDs past the original in my list of the best fps i've ever played.

I never claimed they are quality games. If you recall my post - I said this might dethrone CoD. CoD reigns supreme on XBL charts. That's what I meant. The reason it does is the twitchy game mechanics that people like so much and Titanfall seems to fit the role.