Photo

Tipping in restaurants

tip tipping money restaurants service

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Tipping

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you tip at a dine-in restaurant

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If you do tip, how much do you usually tip?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 PhilTheThrill

PhilTheThrill

Neowinian Senior

• 3,883 posts
  • Phone: WP8

Posted 20 August 2013 - 15:40

Always a perennial debate. So how do you do it?

I've allowed multiple votes as people don't always just fall exclusively into one area. Not particularly scientific so if the questions suck....deal with it. Don't slag people off for their choice(s) if possible ;)

#2 +xreyuk

xreyuk

Neowinian

• 49 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 IOS 7 Beta

Posted 20 August 2013 - 16:07

My results are from the UK, where tipping is slightly different than the likes of the US. 

I usually tip 10% for 'normal' service, a little more for 'good' service, and around 15% for very good service (like in the Indian restaurant I visit regularly). I won't tip if the service has been good or very slow, or will tip less than 10% depending how bad.

As I said though, tipping here is quite different, the wages aren't low like they are in the US for example. 

#3 Richard C.

Richard C.

Neowinian Senior

• 3,647 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:10

Very rarely tip, when I do I simply round the bill up so a £17 bill becomes £20 etc etc

#4 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,460 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:13

Has a "never" option but doesn't have a matching option at the bottom..

We don't really tip in Australia. We have a minimum wage that's not a complete joke >.<

#5 Orange

Orange

Oh Yes!

• 7,341 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3/ Google Nexus 7 Tablet

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:15

Hard one really, i used to do it all the time, hardly anymore.

#6 Coagulated

Coagulated

Neowinian

• 479 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:38

I round up most of the time - it depends on the cost / cash I'm carrying as to how much I'll tip.  If it's exceptional, I'll over-tip happily.

#7 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 7,925 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:44

I always tip between $3-$5, but don't figure out any percentage. There's usually just my wife and I and sometimes the kid. No matter where we eat at, the bill is around $30-$35, so $3-$5, isn't bad, IMO.

#8 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,794 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:48

Has a "never" option but doesn't have a matching option at the bottom..

We don't really tip in Australia. We have a minimum wage that's not a complete joke >.<

Boom! We have a winner.

#9 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,460 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:01

Aww Yeah!

What do I win? :D

#10 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

• 2,867 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:12

Fact:  Tipping amount is in direct proportion to the amount of cleavage shown by the waitress.  And they know it.

#11 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,534 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:18

Depends on where I am. In the US it's so cheap to eat out compared to other places that even with a good tip, you're probably still out less money than you would eating somewhere in Europe or UK and not tipping much/at all. And more of the money goes to the actual server instead of "the establishment", as it were. Kind of balances out. But as I said, depends on where I am. In some countries it is seen as rude to tip, in others it's rude not to... so I try to find out the way a place works before I go there.

When I do tip, I tend to tip well, at least 20% usually. I grew up really poor and we occasionally had to rely on welfare or charities, so now that I'm doing well for myself, I feel like paying it forward ^_^

#12 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:20

Didn't we just have a huge thread on this? And before that another? And another? This is one of those topics that keeps coming up repeatedly and people just argue over it. :laugh:

Yes, of course I always tip in places where I'm being served. Other countries and even some parts of this country work differently, but here servers get $2 something an hour and make the rest on tips. If I couldn't afford to tip, I'd stay home and make myself a sandwich rather than stiffing the person and making them pay to serve me.

#13 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,851 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:20

I do not always tip and I never tip a standard amount, i tip based on the service i received, if you did your job correctly you are rewarded for it, if you did your job exceptionally and went above and beyond you are exceedingly rewarded for it.

#14 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• 8,040 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 14:28

I usually tip between 15-20% depending on how the waiter/waitress's attitude is.  As long as they're happy and smile, I'll tip the 20%.  But there have been a few times where they don't seem interested and have a sour attitude, so I don't feel that they deserve a good tip.  I personally don't care if something gets messed up or takes a long time.  It happens, and it always gets resolved in the end.

I bartended when I was in high school, so I know what it feels like to be shafted on a tip.

#15 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 15:06

I very rarely not tip. I base my tip on service. If I get good service I tip well and for poor service I tip poorly. I have not tipped at all to show my displeasure over non-service.