Tipping in restaurants

Tipping   120 votes

1. 1. Do you tip at a dine-in restaurant

• Yes, always
    • Yes, but only if the service is good or great
    • Very rarely
    • Never
    • Depends on the "fanciness" of the restaurant or who I'm with
  2. 2. If you do tip, how much do you usually tip?

• 1-5%
    • 6-10%
    • 11-15%
    • 16-20%
    • 21-25%
    • More than 25%
    • I usually tip a set dollar/euro/pound etc amount and don't pay attention to the percentage
    • How much varies a lot depending on different factors

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

Posted

Probably because your server had to work the same amount whether you had a coupon or not. They didn't do the work that a

Posted

i always tip based on some average percentage and how good the waiter is. however, i think that Americans tip way too much for way too many services.

custom says youre supposed to tip your mailman and garbage man. why? theyre doing their job. i dont even like to tip a bartender. again, their job is to sling drinks. why do i even tip the woman that cuts my hair? that's her job - cutting hair.

Posted

i always tip based on some average percentage and how good the waiter is. however, i think that Americans tip way too much for way too many services.

custom says youre supposed to tip your mailman and garbage man. why? theyre doing their job. i dont even like to tip a bartender. again, their job is to sling drinks. why do i even tip the woman that cuts my hair? that's her job - cutting hair.

I've never tipped a mail or garbage man.  I've tipped my barber before though.  I almost always tip my bartender.  Why?  Because I want to get what I pay for with my next drink.  Bartenders can and will be a dick to you if you don't tip.  Especially if the bar is crowded.  You don't tip, when you return for another drink you will be ignored (unless its a male bartender and you have a nice set of cans, hate to say).  If I'm just drinking beers, however, I may or may not tip depending on the service and if I'm feeling generous.

Posted

In the UK or Australia I've always tipped between 5-10% depending on the service. Not being American means it's not a requirement or expected

Posted

I usually tip (unless the service is horrid). No fixed percentage though, instead I'll round up - e.g. at lunch today the bill was

Posted

I always tip at dine-in restaurants.  The amount is USUALLY around 20% however I round so that that total bill is an even dollar amount (after taxes, tip, etc.).  If I round up or down depends on the quality of the service.  If service is REALLY bad I may go lower but that's unusual.  If it was exceptionally good I may round up to the nearest $5 increment.

Posted

They usually end up tipping me for being so awesome.

Posted

TIPS = To Insure Prompt Service

If I get it, I tip if not then I don't and rarely no more than 10% unless the server has done something extra ordinary to improve my dining experience.

I don't get tips in my service job. So the servers should be lucky I even tip 10%, oh I when I go to Buffets or Self Serve places I never tip even if they have a server that brings me drinks.