Photo

Tipping in restaurants

tip tipping money restaurants service

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: Tipping

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Do you tip at a dine-in restaurant

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If you do tip, how much do you usually tip?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Bertch

Bertch

Neowinian

• 435 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 15:23

At lower end dine-in places where the bill is lower ($10-$30) I will usually just round up or leave a couple bucks.  At higher end places where you end up with larger bills I usually do a percentage between 10% and 20% depending on service.  As Astra.Extreme said if something is messed up or slow and they actually try to resolve it, or it's not the servers fault then I'll still tip.  Also having worked in the food service industry for a few years during high school and having a better job now I like to "pay it forward" as Charisma said.

#17 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,335 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 15:23

In the US you basically have to tip.  If you don't tip, you will get the reputation at the restaurants you frequent as a non-tipper and your service when you return there will be practically non-existent.  The services in restaurants lives off of customer tips.  They only make like $2.50/hour from their employer.  That being said, a good waiter/waitress at a well-to-do restaurant can make a LOT of money off tips.

I tip anywhere from 15 - 25% depending on the service.  If the service was bad I may tip as low as 10%.  If the service was just terrible I don't leave a tip and never come back.

#18 abecedarian paradoxious

abecedarian paradoxious

cell tech

• 1,289 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 15:39

How much I tip depends on how long the glass of iced tea I order sets empty before the server asks if I want, and brings, a refill. And If I have to ask for a refill, the tip is $0, or maybe the change rounded up to the next dollar. I do also, though, consider how busy the server is and adjust accordingly... as in if the server is the only one, or one of few working and is doing the best they can I do tip more.

I try to be considerate and not demanding. I used to deliver pizzas so I know what it's like, but I also know what to expect from customer service.

#19 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,815 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:37

Hello,

Has a "never" option but doesn't have a matching option at the bottom..

We don't really tip in Australia. We have a minimum wage that's not a complete joke >.<

Correct. There isnt a never option on the bottom so I cannot vote.

#20 +DConnell

DConnell

Madman with a blue box

• 2,193 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1520 running Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 10 October 2013 - 11:53

I use 20% as a starting point. Exceptional service (or my favorite waitress) gets higher. Poor service gets less. One girl only took the orders for half the table once.  I didn't want to tip her anything, but was overridden.

#21 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,675 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:18

I always tip because wait staff wages are primarily based on tips, so it's kind a dick move to not tip them. I start at 20% and it goes up or down from there based on the service. The lowest I have ever tipped is 10%. I have never had such poor service as to not tip at all.

#22 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,367 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:33

Ugh this again?

Look, there's no definite answer because customs change around the world.  In the US you have a culture of underpaying staff which is made-up with tips - hence tipping is more "assumed" than elsewhere.  In the UK, we tip dependent upon service, but at a general rate of 10%.

#23 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• 10,415 posts
  • Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 10 October 2013 - 13:34

I had baaaad service at one diner chain and I put her tip in the glass with the left over pepsi. Her tip--->20c. She was apathetic and rude and was too fixated on this one visitor of hers. 

I had reaaallyy good service at a steak chain and the waitress got a 10 dollar tip on a 20 dollar meal. Was extremely attentive, very personable, funny and she even loved my phone wall paper I made and my bracelets. She even got me a free coffee. 

#24 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,815 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 10 October 2013 - 13:40

Hello,

I had baaaad service at one diner chain and I put her tip in the glass with the left over pepsi. Her tip--->20c. She was apathetic and rude and was too fixated on this one visitor of hers.

When that happens, I observe the other tables and waitresses. If in the diner chain, they are forced to also cleanup their table and I get bad service, I make a complete wreck of the table after I paid my meal: Extra napkins, ketchup spilled, my drink spilled, everything. If not (if other people clean the table), I just get up and leave.

I had reaaallyy good service at a steak chain and the waitress got a 10 dollar tip on a 20 dollar meal. Was extremely attentive, very personable, funny and she even loved my phone wall paper I made and my bracelets. She even got me a free coffee.

Im not too sure she was trying to be a good waitress........just a good catch, if you know what I mean ;)

#25 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,367 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 13:48

Was at a restaurant the other day and my GF had a Groupon thing, so we'd already paid.  But drinks, etc on top, brought a £18 bill.  10% of that is £1.80.  I rounded it up to £20.  Fair, right?  That's a small tip, but percentage it makes sense.  The guy who took the payment mockingly said "Very generous sir".  Twunt!

#26 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

.NET Developer

• 3,040 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 13:59

Probably because your server had to work the same amount whether you had a coupon or not. They didn't do the work that a £2.00 tip gives.

If I have a coupon, I typically leave some of that savings to the server.

I am in the US though and know how ###### it is to be paid so little an hour for the job.

#27 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• 12,180 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 14:01

i always tip based on some average percentage and how good the waiter is. however, i think that Americans tip way too much for way too many services.

custom says youre supposed to tip your mailman and garbage man. why? theyre doing their job. i dont even like to tip a bartender. again, their job is to sling drinks. why do i even tip the woman that cuts my hair? that's her job - cutting hair.

#28 Shadrack

Shadrack

Neowinian Senior

• 15,335 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 14:54

i always tip based on some average percentage and how good the waiter is. however, i think that Americans tip way too much for way too many services.

custom says youre supposed to tip your mailman and garbage man. why? theyre doing their job. i dont even like to tip a bartender. again, their job is to sling drinks. why do i even tip the woman that cuts my hair? that's her job - cutting hair.

I've never tipped a mail or garbage man.  I've tipped my barber before though.  I almost always tip my bartender.  Why?  Because I want to get what I pay for with my next drink.  Bartenders can and will be a dick to you if you don't tip.  Especially if the bar is crowded.  You don't tip, when you return for another drink you will be ignored (unless its a male bartender and you have a nice set of cans, hate to say).  If I'm just drinking beers, however, I may or may not tip depending on the service and if I'm feeling generous.

#29 +-T-

-T-

Trapmaster

• 2,645 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 15:04

In the UK or Australia I've always tipped between 5-10% depending on the service. Not being American means it's not a requirement or expected

#30 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 24,229 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 10 October 2013 - 16:28

I usually tip (unless the service is horrid). No fixed percentage though, instead I'll round up - e.g. at lunch today the bill was €10.20, which I rounded up to €11.