Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
techbeck

Google Updates Play Services

7 posts in this topic

Google Play Services, the company?s client-side library for allowing Android developers to easily use Google-powered features like Maps and Google+ in their apps, got a major update today that includes a number of interesting new feature. Many of these, Google notes, are meant to provide greater power savings, but the company says it has also made a number of performance improvements.

With this update, for example, developers can now use hardware-based GPS geofencing on devices that support it (including, for example, the Nexus 4). Battery consumption is one of the banes of location-based services, but Google says this technique can results in significantly lower battery usage.

To save even more battery, Google Play Services 3.2 now also allows the selection of a low-power mode for the Fused Location Provider, which manages Play Service?s location technology in the background, and a new Snapshot feature now allows developers to just display a bitmap image of the current map instead of an interactive map to improve performance and battery life.

Besides these location features, this update also brings a new and easily integrated simplified sharing control to Play Services for developers who use Google+ sign-ins. In addition, Google says, it has ?taken the opportunity to add some butter to the Google+ sign-in animation? (a reference to Project Butter ? Google?s initiative to make Android?s animations a bit more fluid).

For developers who want to integrate Photo Sphere, Google now added a compass mode, so users can now view them by simply moving their phones.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/08/20/google-updates-play-services-with-improved-gps-google-and-photo-sphere-integrations/

It's the 3.2.25 that leaked a week or two ago btw

It's the 3.2.25 that leaked a week or two ago btw

3.2.25? That's odd.

I have 4.3.11 on mine.

3.2.25? That's odd.

I have 4.3.11 on mine.

Google Play Services, not Google Play Store.

Google Play Services, not Google Play Store.

Oh.. where can I find the version for that?

Oh.. where can I find the version for that?

Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Play Services

Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Play Services

Ah, I see now.. Thanks..

I was confused earlier when stan posted the version number.  I was like WTF.. lol.. 

I get it now.    I have same version number as stan's post. I see why I got new "recent updated" section.. which is why I wasn't notified about Play update.