20 posts in this topic

Posted

[size=6]Microsoft: 'Age of Empires Online to end'; no comment on Games For Windows Live[/size]
by John Callaham

On Monday, we reported that a support page for Microsoft's free to play game "Age of Empires Online" revealed that the Games For Windows Live service would end on July 1, 2014, and with it comes the end of the game as well. The support page later removed that message so Neowin contacted Microsoft to get a confirmation.

We received a response from a Microsoft spokesperson on that topic today but unfortunately, the response was vague as to the fate of Games For Windows Live:

Yesterday, an Age of Empires support web page communicated that the free to play Age of Empires Online will be discontinued on July 1, 2014. We believe in Windows/PC gaming and have long-term plans to grow our support. We expect there to be transitions as we build out new investments, but we remain committed to bringing first party gaming services and games to Windows for years to come. We will share more details in the future.

As you can see, the statement mentions the shutdown of "Age of Empires Online" but not of Games For Windows Live. When asked for clarification, the Microsoft spokesperson said that the company will be offering no further comment at this time.

Image via Microsoft

Posted

They need to get rid of GFWL as well. Very badly.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yorak, on 20 Aug 2013 - 23:16, said:

They need to get rid of GFWL as well. Very badly.

That's fine as long as the people who bought GFWL enabled games are not left without a way to play their games. E.g. Batman Arkham Asylum, FlatOut Total Carnage, Fable III, Arkham City.

2 people like this

Posted

I never did like the fact I had to use GfWL to play GTA4 on PC. Now would be a good time to properly integrate games like it into Steam.

Posted

Wait does this mean that my GTA4 suddenly becomes useless? Or am I misreading it.

Posted

Wait does this mean that my GTA4 suddenly becomes useless? Or am I misreading it.

We don't know yet.

Posted

That's fine as long as the people who bought GFWL enabled games are not left without a way to play their games. E.g. Batman Arkham Asylum, FlatOut Total Carnage, Fable III, Arkham City.

I agree. I do not want people to be unable to play those games. There has to be something minimal coded that works and is not a nuisance. For the past few years I have completely refused to purchase a game if it used GFWL. Microsoft can do better, I believe.

Posted

Or I dunno... DARK SOULS, DARK SOULS, DARK SOULS.

:no:

1 person likes this

Posted

Bioshock 2... the list of GFWL games is extensive.

Maybe that's what Microsoft means when they say "transition period"? :/

Posted

Yes, lets shut down all other systems and give Steam a monopoly on PC multiplayer game matchmaking... that's sounds like an awesome idea ;)

Posted

Yes, lets shut down all other systems and give Steam a monopoly on PC multiplayer game matchmaking... that's sounds like an awesome idea ;)

Well there is also Origin and last I checked Impulse was still around.  There are a few other choices as well I believe.

Posted

Hopefully we can still play our games. The few I own that come to mind that have GFWL in them are GTA4, Fallout 3 (and all the dlc), Batman Arkham Asylum, Dark Souls, and all the Warhammer rts games.

I'll be one extremely unhappy customer if my games suddenly go bye bye.

Posted

I bought Age of Empires 3 for 1

Posted

how about integrating GFWL or something into Windows blue?

=> less things to maintain separately 

Posted

This really annoys me with MS.  I know they can't keep everything online forever if they wish to stay relevant but they're a huge company, they could keep this service online for at least ten years without even noticing it - let it gradually fade out.  MS always do this, they create something and we join it - then the wind changes and they abandon it and everyone that trusted them with their custom.

I could understand a small company doing this, but then I would never have put my faith in a small company.  They have officially lost me, not that it bothers them at all.

Posted

Oh please, EA is doing a better job at being competitive than Microsoft is in this arena. :sleep2:

1 person likes this

Posted

GFWL is a terrible gaming platform.  It's a hassle to use and is a characteristic of cheap/bad ports by developers.  I'm glad Microsoft is finally giving up on it and turning to other distribution platforms like the Windows Store and Steam.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Sigh... I got the $99 season pass :(

Posted

I bought Age of Empires 3 for 1

Posted

HawkMan, on 21 Aug 2013 - 09:22, said:

pretty much Steam/Origin and (am I really gonna say this!) U-play are a better ecosystem than GFWL ever was. Horrible horrible execution of a good idea..I miss the MSN Gaming Zone. Even that was better than GFWL client.

1 person likes this