Will Any Old RAM Do?

I am a bit confused with RAM.

I have just build a system which takes 240 pin ram.

I plan on using 1333Mhz, DDR3.

Can I just buy any old memory to put in it that is 240 (1333Mhz, DDR3)?  I see some sellers on ebay are saying things like "please make sure this is the right module" but I didn't think there was a particular difference so long as it has the right number of pins.

Also noticed prices vary wildly.

Thanks

RAM confuses me a bit as well. The one piece of advice I tend to generally stick with is, "get more of the RAM that you already have rather than mixing things up." Perhaps that is less relevant today than in the past, but to me it's always seemed like a good piece of common sense.

I'm sure one of the other guys here will have much more precise information though. I look forward to reading about their thoughts.

Yeah, I plan on getting 8Gb instead of my current 4 so it's all the same.  I won't need the 8 but just in case.

Will use all four slots too as I read 4x2Gb would work better than 1x8Gb as you have more channels.

Here's a good example of the price differences:

Kingston KVR1333D3S8N9/2G

1x2Gb  /  DDR3  /  1333Mhz  /  ?17.43

Kingston KTH9600BS/2G

1x2Gb  /  DDR3  /  1333Mhz  /  ?10.00

Yes they have different model numbers but surely an extra ?7 for the "value" ram is a bit inflated?

Although the bottom link is supposed to be for HP machines.

Also found a website that says the bottom ram is "2GB 1333MHz Single Rank Module" - is that because it's only one physical unit?  If so, just to clear up:  One physical stick of ram = single module.  Two sticks of ram sold together is called a dual module?

Yes, any DDR3 RAM will work fine, just make sure you get something the same speed or higher or else it will down clock to the lowest clock rate stick you have.

I would really suggest you check on what ram works on the MB you have.. Generally speaking, yes any ole ram that meets your spec should work type and speed should work

DDR3 PC3-10600, 12800, etc..

But have different voltages, 1.5, 1.65 - different timings CL, tRCD, tRP

Your MB might have a limit of 4GB, maybe 2x4G will not work. How many slots do you have, etc. etc. etc..

You should check with maker of your MB for what memory is best suited/compatible with your mother board. Or sure just slap in what you have laying around and see it boots :rolleyes: Another idea if the pins don't line up quite right -- use a dremel tool and just make your own slots in the memory so it fits ;)

My motherboard says:

DDR3 1333 MHz support RAM Socket * 4, Dual channels support up to 32 GB total (8GB*4)

So I guess any old 1333Mhz ram up to 8Gb per module will work.

Will get some and see I think.

i highly suggest you dont go for the cheapest RAM, or any of that Kingston 'value' stuff. also, dont use ebay to buy your parts.

at the very bottom of that Memory Support List you'll see some 8GB sticks listed. I'd recommend either the Corsair or the G.Skill.

in the end, however, any DDR3 RAM will do, but since they have a convenient support list, why not?

• 2 weeks later...

you could fill up all 4 slots with no problem, as long as you stick to filling it in 2's for example dont have 2 slots + 1 slot all 4 slots need to be filled really if your upping it to 8GB with extra 2x 2GB sticks. any old 1333Mhz ddr3 will be good but try to get at least 1 better than value ram. The dual channel controllers on CPU's just means it needs 2 channels, per time to run effienctly so 2x dual channels works fine

DDR3 wont really get any cheaper than it is now as its pretty much as low as itll go, maybe when DDR4 comes out and gets mainstream itll start getting cheaper to clear inventory but dont bank on it being ??'s for 8GB or anything :D

I normally like to pick up something a little above the standard "value ram" (say some G.Skill) as you get a little better quality, for only a few dollars extra. Having said that, this is my preference...the performance is basically the same, and you really won't notice much difference.

I normally like to pick up something a little above the standard "value ram" (say some G.Skill) as you get a little better quality, for only a few dollars extra. Having said that, this is my preference...the performance is basically the same, and you really won't notice much difference.

I always get Corsair unless there's a killer deal on one of the other also good brands... like OCZ when it was having the "no-longer making any RAM sale"

I always got G.Skill Ripjaws series. Just got good performance out of them. Looks cool, too. :P