Fastest fanless video card?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

I was hoping someone would surprise me with a "there is a fanless GeForce 760" or something like that :P

there should be a discrete solution for a mainstream one.

Else you can install an after market fanless solution, I think there was a thread here with an old 8800 ultra, that bought a fanless heat dissipator and replaced it himself., don't remeber the name of the thread though

There are both a fanless 7850 and a GT 640 on Newegg.

When in question, always check there first :p

Ah, nice :)

I am at work, so I can't do too much research. The brief research I did on Ebuyer seemed to suggest the fastest fanless:

• AMD card is the Sapphire HD 6670 (?67) or Sapphire HD 7750 (?88)
  • NVIDIA card is the Asus GT 620 (?49)

I only searched for "silent", though (although it searches product descriptions, too).

I am probably stating the obvious but fan less cards are not any lower quality but they will nearly always be slower because higher clock speeds generate more heat.

If you are going to use a card especially for even the slightest gaming make sure your rig has plenty of cooling fans because it will heat up every component because they he will not be dispersed.

They are okay for a system that doesn't work hard in a nice cool room.

I have a watercooled system, but have tried a few top end cards with fans they are a lot quieter nowadays and you can turn the fan speed down to next to nothing nearly inaudible.

The fastest fanless card that you bear some chance of finding is the Sapphire Ultimate HD 7750. It's not very fast.

The problem with these cards is that they promise silence through lack of fans, but you'll need superior case airflow to keep them cool. It just moves the noise elsewhere IMO. I'd rather get a card that has silent fans itself.

Actually I found that even with the low end fan cards, you can unplug the fans and they still work fine.

For the nay-sayers : Yes, I successfully ran a card like this for 2 years in my SFF desktop at work. ;)

• Like 1

Actually I found that even with the low end fan cards, you can unplug the fans and they still work fine.

For the nay-sayers : Yes, I successfully ran a card like this for 2 years in my SFF desktop at work. ;)

Yeah, if you never use them. :laugh:

Fanless cards replace the fan with some sort of finned metal block to dissapate heat off of the card and into the case's general airflow. If you load up a card with a fan on it, it will transfer the heat off the card into the (most likely) plastic fan and just well up there until the thermal paste burns off.

Just for general desktop use, yeah, you probably don't need fans. You probably don't even need a GPU for that.

The problem with these cards is that they promise silence through lack of fans, but you'll need superior case airflow to keep them cool. It just moves the noise elsewhere IMO. I'd rather get a card that has silent fans itself.

Except that in my experience, every time a friend asks me "why is my PC emitting strange noises?" it's almost always the graphics card fan dying. And replacing them can be a pain. I'd rather have fanless cards, and slapping on some quiet case fans. At least they're easier to replace :P

Yeah, if you never use them. :laugh:

I successfully ran a variety of 3D games for long periods in that 2 years as well.

Can't deny the card got hot, but didn't cook it, even the card is still it's original color (reads: not burnt). Something you'll find even WITH fan-cooled cards!

For those wondering? It was a GeForce GT210. Not a powerhouse, but enough to do what's needed.

Except that in my experience, every time a friend asks me "why is my PC emitting strange noises?" it's almost always the graphics card fan dying. And replacing them can be a pain. I'd rather have fanless cards, and slapping on some quiet case fans. At least they're easier to replace :p

Hm, I replace my graphics cards too often for that to be an issue I guess :P

This one stays cool even if you're playing Doom.

Are you kidding? Put your finger on the processor chip of those cards and you're going to know what hot means. :P

Depends what you want to do with it.

I got this for my server http://uk.msi.com/product/vga/N520GT-MD1GD3H-LP.html

I wanted something that was low noise/low power (server is on 24/7) but not so slow as to affect system performance.

I did some testing to make sure it was fully functional, got 50-60 fps in WoW with 'good' settings.

BTW Nvidia 520 was rebranded to 610.