A 20-year-old man was arrested in Boulder, Colorado, over the weekend on suspicion of stealing a car after the car's owner allegedly saw him stopped at a crosswalk behind the wheel of her vehicle.

Alex Walden reported her black Jetta stolen early Saturday from a street near the University of Colorado campus. Minutes later, Walden and her boyfriend were crossing a street in the neighborhood when she realized the car that had stopped to let them cross was hers. Walden then confronted the driver and a woman in the passenger seat.

"'What are you doing?' I asked him," Walden told ABC's Denver affiliate. "And he said, 'Uh, I'm trying to let you cross the street.' He didn't put two-and-two together that I was the owner of the car he just stole."

Walden said she had her hand on the car door as it began to drive away. Her boyfriend, Ryan Tippetts, jumped through the window.

"I just jumped in through the passenger window and landed on his girlfriend's lap," Tippetts said. "He started driving away. My feet were hanging out the window. He started screaming at me, 'I'm going to shoot you, I'm going to shoot you. I'm going to kill you. Get out of my car.'

"I had my hand on the steering wheel and my hand on his right hand, and so then he just started wailing on me with punches," Tippetts continued.

The driver, Davien Payne, eventually stopped and took off running, police say. He was later arrested, charged with aggravated motor vehicle theft, second-degree assault, resisting arrest, obstruction of a peace officer and trespassing.

Police say Payne told them he had been picked up by the woman witnesses say was in the passenger seat. But the woman told police Payne was driving and picked her up in the Jetta. When she got into the car, police say, she noticed items that appeared to belong to a woman.

Tippetts was taken to the hospital and treated for a broken larynx, ABC said.

source