SierraSonic

SierraSonic

Posted 21 August 2013 - 19:13

I hope illumiroom comes to PC.

#3 KSib

KSib

Wut

Posted 21 August 2013 - 19:21

That would be cool... but don't you think you would want to advertise a cool feature like that? Oh wait, they are so bad at marketing that they wouldn't do that.

I'd rather just take $100 off the sticker price and if a game comes out that I need it for, then I could buy it -- like Just Dance.

#4 Houtei

Houtei

Neowinian

Posted 21 August 2013 - 19:45

If kinect is not bundled with xbox one there will be no games you need to buy it for cause no developer is going to waste the money on something only half the xbox one owners have.

To me Kinect is a PART of the xbox one.  I mean if we are going to sell the kinect separately lets just knock off another 50 bucks and remove the damn bluray drive and sell it separately cause hey some people dont need it or want it like me that plan on going all digital.  Hell lets take take the hdd out except for just waht is needed for the OS and some apps to run.  I mean some of us don't need that crap we can just go buy MS external hdd sold separately if we really need it. This goes for ps4 as well.  Alright now we should be more around $299.  Oh yeah I almost forgot let take that pesky wifi out cause I dont need or want that because I use wired.  Now we are talking $249.99 YEAH

#5 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 21 August 2013 - 20:10

I really don't know what the discussion serves anymore

We don't know MS' plans or reasons for bundling exactly.

If you want to look at the leaked info about what MS (and Sony by the way) are researching, you can see that both are pursuing various alternative control options, including motion controls, voice controls, augmented reality , vr, etc.

MS has been researching the Illumiroom tech along with augmented reality glasses (something like google glass) and a full on vr headset like Oculus Rift. Sony is also heavily investing in vr tech.

Kinect, or some form of motion and voice control can certainly be a big part of a vr experience, so it wouldn't be shocking if this was a long term goal. 

Regardless, none of this changes how people feel about it.  You either want it as it is now or not. 

#6 Pupik

Pupik

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 August 2013 - 20:14

I hope illumiroom comes to PC.

Going to be a waste. You sit too close to the monitor to make use of the features of the IllumiRoom.

#7 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 August 2013 - 20:23

The reason they're bundling the kinect in the XB1, is to encourage developers into including it in their games as they know they'll have access to 100% of the XB1 market.

Microsoft made the mistake with the 360 by not having a hard drive on every system, which caused a lot of trouble later down the line.

#8 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 August 2013 - 20:39

It will definitely use the Kinect for that, but no, that's not why it's bundled. It wasn't a question why it was bundled though, they've said from the start it's so developers KNOW you have a Kinect and can develop accordingly.

#9 FunkyMike

FunkyMike

Neowinian OldSkooler

Posted 21 August 2013 - 20:48

I really don't know what the discussion serves anymore

We don't know MS' plans or reasons for bundling exactly.

If you want to look at the leaked info about what MS (and Sony by the way) are researching, you can see that both are pursuing various alternative control options, including motion controls, voice controls, augmented reality , vr, etc.

MS has been researching the Illumiroom tech along with augmented reality glasses (something like google glass) and a full on vr headset like Oculus Rift. Sony is also heavily investing in vr tech.

Kinect, or some form of motion and voice control can certainly be a big part of a vr experience, so it wouldn't be shocking if this was a long term goal. 

Regardless, none of this changes how people feel about it.  You either want it as it is now or not. 

I am also curious if that rumour for mid term refresh + VR/AUG still holds true.

#10 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 21 August 2013 - 20:53

Illumiroom... an even bigger and much more expensive gimmick than kinect.

The reason they're bundling the kinect in the XB1, is to encourage developers into including it in their games as they know they'll have access to 100% of the XB1 market.

Microsoft made the mistake with the 360 by not having a hard drive on every system, which caused a lot of trouble later down the line.

The lack of a proper optical drive for this gen also became an issue down the line.

#11 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 21 August 2013 - 20:55

I was surprised we did not see more about Illumiroom either at E3 or GamesCom as they have not really given any information except for the teaser. No concept hardware for the projector or anything.

#12 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 August 2013 - 21:06

If we want to discuss the larger implications of all off this stuff like illumiroom, vr, etc, it would seem to me that Both Sony and MS intend to bring new tech to these consoles at some point during its life.

It make sense from their perspective.  If they want a console that is going to be around for 10 years, then if they can upgrade them somehow during that time, they can keep demand higher for longer.  They can't upgrade the internal hardware, so why not add a new interface.  MS found out that you can have some success with that strategy when they introduced Kinect.  It bolstered sales for a while, but a lack of content support meant that it didn't have a long life. 

I wouldn't be shocked at all if we see a vr headset similar to the oculus rift released for both consoles at some point during the next gen.

#13 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 21 August 2013 - 21:26

One word: advertisements. (Or should that be NUADs).
Kinect bundled with every Xbox is Microsofts chance to steal googles advertising revenue through people searching through their Xbox.

#14 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 August 2013 - 21:53

I'm not sure how Kinect makes them more money in advertising then putting ads all over the dashboard, but I guess anything is possible.

If that really is the reason they are bundling it, it sure is an expensive and risky way to push ads.  I could think of cheaper and more effective manners.

#15 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 21 August 2013 - 22:07

I'm not sure how Kinect makes them more money in advertising then putting ads all over the dashboard, but I guess anything is possible.

If that really is the reason they are bundling it, it sure is an expensive and risky way to push ads. I could think of cheaper and more effective manners.

Targeted advertising makes a lot more money. The examples in the demos Microsoft have given show people interacting with the ads, placing orders through the Xbox etc. Of course there are all the ads for the services too like music and videos. Once you get people hooked into an eco system and build a profile on their likes/dislikes (which kinects emotion tracking will even be able to help with) then it is a dream for advertisers giving them a window into the living room. Its actually quite impressive.