16 posts in this topic

Posted

As fast as banks are trying to outwit online hackers, the hackers are revising their strategies to evade the new security measures.

Banks have started to send one-time codes via SMS text messages to customers to use in addition to passwords for logging in to their accounts. So hackers have devised insidious software to steal the texted codes in real time.

Researchers at software security maker McAfee even found a pair of new malware programs that afflict users of Google

Posted

that's why you use a 2-factor app that generates it locally.

Posted

I don't know why people use their phones for banking services because I've always thought a phone, due to the fact it can be stolen or lost more easily, is less secure and hence I don't really use it for sensitive stuff. I do use facebook on my phone, but again, I've been careful what I add on facebook, at least I've tried to anyway. 

2 people like this

Posted

I don't know why people use their phones for banking services because I've always thought a phone, due to the fact it can be stolen or lost more easily, is less secure and hence I don't really use it for sensitive stuff. I do use facebook on my phone, but again, I've been careful what I add on facebook, at least I've tried to anyway. 

Bingo. I do the same as well.

I do the banking on my wired laptop or go the bank for up to date balance.

Posted

Most of the action is in Asia, where customers are far more likely to use unofficial app stores that cater to their native language.

Don't do this. Stick with the official Play Store and you'll be fine.

1 person likes this

Posted

I stick to the official Play store, and even then, I don't do online banking through my phone.  There's no guarantee some toerag won't steal it, after all!  I keep nothing sensitive on my phone at all and IMO, anyone that does is just asking for trouble.

1 person likes this

Posted

that's why you use a 2-factor app that generates it locally.

That wont help what so ever. Since your data must be switched on it can still send the "local" code to them anyway.

But Im also one of the people who dont use online banking with my phone. Hell, I havent even entered my credit card detail to the store trough my phone, no thanks.

Posted

I stick to the official Play store, and even then, I don't do online banking through my phone.  There's no guarantee some toerag won't steal it, after all!  I keep nothing sensitive on my phone at all and IMO, anyone that does is just asking for trouble.

I remember not too long ago Cnet was recommending using a Linux LiveCD to do your online banking.

Posted

^ You may as well just go to the bank, instead.

Posted

What's implicit here is that the problem is Android. Even Play gets a lot of malware published in it. Not pushing updates to all phones makes it even worse.

Apple and Microsoft restrictions do work in making their phones safer.

Posted

What's implicit here is that the problem is Android. Even Play gets a lot of malware published in it. 

How much is a lot? I've never gotten anything and I've use the Store all the time.

Posted

What's implicit here is that the problem is Android. Even Play gets a lot of malware published in it. Not pushing updates to all phones makes it even worse.

Apple and Microsoft restrictions do work in making their phones safer.

You are definitely correct. I mean, to be fair, android's fragmentation has advantages but this is one of the disadvantages. Maybe developers can put security apps built into their ROMs as an added bonus? For those that don't want any bundled apps, they can be removed but for others, its there in the background. 

Posted

Not even the Play Store is safe. That's the problem.

Posted

Not even the Play Store is safe. That's the problem.

Neither is the Apple Store.

Posted

And how are these apps getting onto people's phones in the first place?

Posted

for my sms banking stuff, i use non-smart phone, and use a strong chain on it to prevent pickpocketing.