8 posts in this topic

Posted

I recently had a discussion with my mobile provider on their download speeds; they're advertising with 14.4MB down but the effective download speeds - also according to speediests - is around 5 MB on 3G.

When I do a speedtest with my landline ISP (150 MB down) I get a 150 MB down effectively.

So, why is there - apparantly - a difference in speeds on mobile and landline? And why are mobile operators allowed to advertise with speeds they cannot accomplish?

Posted

Are you sure it doesn't say "upto"?

Posted

In both cases it's up to the max speed.

However mobile companies advertise with 14.4 MB (and deliver around 5 MB), whereas regular ISPs advertise the max speed and deliver the max speed.

I think mobile companies are in a way misleading on this... why not advertise with 5 MB down and deliver it?

Or will th

Posted

However mobile companies advertise with 14.4 MB (and deliver around 5 MB), whereas regular ISPs advertise the max speed and deliver the max speed.

As Nashy said,

Don't they usually advertise "speeds up-to *insert speed here*"

Posted

I think mobile companies are in a way misleading on this... why not advertise with 5 MB down and deliver it?

Or will th

Posted

I pay for 25mbit at home but usually hover at around 20mbit, which is pretty good considering necessary overhead.

Posted

Contention? Environmental factors? Just because a speedtest doesn't show you what you "should be" getting doesn't mean your not. What about the hops between your network and the speed test servers. Signal strength on 3G? Its best effort at the best of times. Saying that I get good speeds on my 3g mobile already.