123 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,168 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:42

Bradley Manning: I want to live as a woman

Bradley Manning, the Army private sentenced to military prison for leaking classified documents, revealed he intends to live out the remainder of his life as a woman.

“I am Chelsea Manning. I am female,” the Army private wrote in a statement read on TODAY Thursday by his attorney. “Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible. I hope that you will support me in this transition.”

Manning, 25, was sentenced to 35 years in prison on Wednesday after having been found guilty of 20 charges ranging from espionage to theft for leaking more than 700,000 documents to the WikiLeaks website while working in Iraq in 2010.

“I also request that, starting today, you refer to me by my new name and use the feminine pronoun (except in official mail to the confinement facility),” he continued in the statement. “I look forward to receiving letters from supporters and having the opportunity to write back.”

Manning signed the letter “Chelsea E. Manning.”

During his trial, Manning’s defense team suggested his struggles with gender identity as a gay soldier were a factor in his decision to leak. His attorneys presented an email to a former supervisor from April 2010 in which he said he was transgender and joined the Army to “get rid of it.” The email, which had the subject line “My Problem,” also included a photo of Manning in which he is wearing a blonde wig and lipstick. During Manning’s nine-month detainment at the Marine Corps brig in Quantico, Va., following his arrest in 2010, he sent two letters to his counselor using the name “Breanna,’’ Master Sgt. Craig Blenis testified at his trial.

In the statement read on TODAY, Manning thanked his supporters. “I want to thank everybody who has supported me over the last three years,” he wrote. “Throughout this long ordeal, your letters of support and encouragement have helped keep me strong.l I am forever indebted to those who wrote to me, made a donation to my defense fund, or came to watch a portion of the trial. I would especially like to thank Courage to Resist and the Bradley Manning Support Network for their tireless efforts in raising awareness for my case and providing for my legal representation.”

Manning will likely serve his sentence at Fort Leavenworth, the only military prison for service members sentenced to 10 or more years, a Military District of Washington spokesperson told The Associated Press. The facility does not provide hormone therapy or sex-reassignment surgery for gender identity issues but does provide psychiatric care, a Fort Leavenworth spokeswoman told Courthouse News.

In the U.S. prison system, transgender prisoners who have not had genital surgery are generally assigned to live with their birth-sex peers, but the military policy is unclear. 

Source: Today.com

#2 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 8,952 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:44

I want to live as a cat.

#3 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,368 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:47

Well if you're going to make a huge change in your life, why not throw a gender change in there as well?

#4 Syanide

Syanide

From here to infirmary.

• 4,149 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:48

Is this fo real?

#5 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,168 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:52

Is this fo real?

Yes.

#6 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,007 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:56

Please don't judge me for asking this:

Has it been mentioned whether he suffers aspergers or is on the autism spectrum at all?

#7 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

• 15,393 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:00

Please don't judge me for asking this:

Has it been mentioned whether he suffers aspergers or is on the autism spectrum at all?

Wouldn't surprise me... Apparently, his mum was a drunk whilst pregnant, as it's long known that can damage the baby in all sorts of ways.

All in all, I think he's a pretty confused guy and probably needs quite a lot of counselling.  Hopefully, whilst he's incarcerated, he can get some.

#8 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,141 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:55

Me too :blush:

#9 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 22 August 2013 - 13:08

Me too :blush:

I thought you already did :/

#10 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 2,920 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 13:10

Does he get to be in the women's prison? I take back anything negative I've said about him. This guy is brilliant!

_69428384_2bc927f3-06cb-4039-b1ef-8854a0

#11 tmorris1

tmorris1

Neowinian

• 167 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 13:17

I'm sure the taxpayers will be on the hook to get his banana peeled and hormone therapy while he is in prison.  .22 shells are a nickle and would fix the problem.

#12 +timster

timster

Neowinian Senior

• 2,605 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4 7.1.2 jb/ul

Posted 22 August 2013 - 13:43

#13 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,544 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 13:49

Anybody else suspect he's just doing this out of spite to cost taxpayers more money, since he was caught and sent to prison?

#14 fusi0n

fusi0n

The Crazy One

• 3,595 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S 64GB

Posted 22 August 2013 - 13:53

Kinda smart TBH.. If I was going away for 35 years.. I would want to be around a bunch of chicks than dudes.. 

#15 bguy_1986

bguy_1986

Neowinian

• 1,456 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 13:54

I was a little worried... I thought I was going to come in here and see a bunch of people standing up for his right to live some fairy tale and he can be a woman if he wants to.  My faith in humanity has been restored....... for at least the next 30 seconds....