Lenovo preloading all new PCs with Pokki suite

Source: http://allthingsd.com/20130822/full-pokki-suite-will-be-preloaded-on-all-lenovo-pcs-with-native-windows-app-support-in-store/?reflink=ATD_yahoo_ticker

Lenovo has agreed to preload onto all of its new PCs the full range of SweetLabs? Pokki software, which tweaks the Windows operating system, the companies announced today.

The deal is the second major OEM partnership this summer for Pokki, which runs a platform for installing and using Windows apps, making the desktop experience feel more like a mobile one. Back in June, Acer began preloading a Pokki-powered game ?arcade? onto all of its new PCs.

Today?s announcement is broader than that, though. Under the Pokki brand, SweetLabs makes the games launcher, a custom Start menu that launches apps via a mobile-esque interface, and an app store for discovering new apps. All of those products will be bundled together in the Lenovo deal.

Well, guess I shan't be buying a Lenovo laptop then, which is a shame as they are rock solid.  I could bear this IF it came with user discounts.

You don't format and create your own install when you get a new machine?

Just curious.. I don't know any techies who keep the original software. When ordering online I request a blank hard drive if possible.

actually since Windows 95 release, MSFT actively forbade OEM to includes/bundling of non-microsoft shell replacements/tweakers.

I guess the Metro UI/Desktop hybrid outlooks is sooo bad that OEM began to disregard that.

actually since Windows 95 release, MSFT actively forbade OEM to includes/bundling of non-microsoft shell replacements/tweakers.

I guess the Metro UI/Desktop hybrid outlooks is sooo bad that OEM began to disregard that.

its not a shell replacement.its a taskbar shortcut that opens a start menu looking window. this is kind of like the samsung s menu.

of course they cant put this in the bottom left corner in windows 8.1,and thats probably why microsoft put the button back in in the first place.

its not a shell replacement.its a taskbar shortcut that opens a start menu looking window. this is kind of like the samsung s menu.

of course they cant put this in the bottom left corner in windows 8.1,and thats probably why microsoft put the button back in in the first place.

Semi-untrue.  If the fake start menu was placed over top of the one MS is adding it.. it is possible.   I remember back when I thought coding viruses and RAT tools was the cool thing to do, I would create an invisible window overtop of the users start button.  This prevented them from clicking start. 

Semi-untrue.  If the fake start menu was placed over top of the one MS is adding it.. it is possible.   I remember back when I thought coding viruses and RAT tools was the cool thing to do, I would create an invisible window overtop of the users start button.  This prevented them from clicking start. 

of course its possible to do,but blocking the start button is probably not allowed in the oem windows license agreement. the current solution of using a shortcut in the taskbar and running an application is perfectly legit,as it is just like any other applications.

This is why as soon as a new pc arrives, we wipe it and reload a clean image onto it.  Who actually uses the preloaded garbage?

Mr & Mrs Average Joe, 95% of the consumer base for these sort of machines, don't have a bloody clue how to do any of that.

I expect this to only be on their consumer line (Idea range), and not their business line (think range).

It will help 95% who are moving up from xp/vista/7 who are accustomed to having a start menu.