Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Time magazine: Don

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Posted

One of the local papers there is reporting it was a gang initiation. Apparently ghey've been "recruiting" youngsters and the previous batch is done "training" and ready to make their bones.

Posted

One of the local papers there is reporting it was a gang initiation. Apparently ghey've been "recruiting" youngsters and the previous batch is done "training" and ready to make their bones.

Which paper is that because both the Lawton and Duncan paper said nothing of the sort.

Posted

Its a cultural crisis for many, not just for 'African-americans'.  How can you give up bad cultural 'norms' that don't mesh well, and not give up a sense of your own identity as well?

That's why I have an issue that we've gotten away from the melting pot and settled on a stew.  All cultures, even 'european' ones must submit to the new synthesis.

@OP

(From that sites comments)

"The rule, however, applies equally in both directions - to both white racism and black lawlessness.  Time readers are mainly white, and my concern is that many of them will turn the principle on its head.  Rather than conclude that they too, like blacks, must look within, they will react to your piece by thinking "McWhorter confirms what I've always thought - it's all their fault.  They have to change.  I don't have to."  Unfortunately, many of the comments here appear to substantiate this impression, which I doubt you intended.  I don't think you're sending "the wrong message", but I'm afraid you're sending it to the wrong audience.."

Posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xQtryE1stw

this is where it has started. one group martin luther king sought equality through peaceful means. 

Black Panthers want it through war and violence... and..ignorance

Posted

So it wasn't racially motivated, it was motivated by a gang initiating members.

Posted

Question.  Is it really normal in the US for the race issue to come into every criminal case?

Over here, race almost never gets mentioned (except by a few bigot groups who everyone ignores anyway, like UKIP), so it strikes me as weird that I see the issue mentioned frequently with criminal cases that get posted here...

Posted

Race is sometimes factored into or assumed to be part of a crime when it isn't. Here in Aus there were some attacks/robberies on some Indian students and everyone assumed that all of the robberies were racially motivated. Turns out that generally students are out later at night, at places like train stations, where unfortunately muggings are common. Students also take part time jobs like driving taxis which also expose them to risk.

There are some problems with racism here, especially with some bigots on public transport, but it seems to me to be entirely irresponsible for the media and even victims to jump to the conclusion that an individual was victimised because of race as opposed to simple opportunism of thugs/addicts/jerks etc.

There is also another consequence of assuming racist crimes exist where they don't: after those student attacks were heavily publicised here 2 crimes involving Indian Australians occured; One was a small boy who went missing and was found dead and another of a persons car being stolen and blown up. As one could imagine after the "racist attacks" on Indian students occured, the story of a small Indian boy going missing created the Idea racism in Aus was so bad now even children were being targeted, and the case with the car being stolen and burnt out was blamed on racists who car-jacked the owner.

The facts were the boys uncle was responsible for the boys death, and the car was blown up by its owner for insurance. 

Treat crimes where racism actually exists very seriously, don't try to find racism in crime if it simply isn't there.

1 person likes this