Answered Go to the full post win8 not working dvd drive

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Galaxy S4 Plus

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:12

I am having a very annoying problem with my computer at the moment, I did find another topic on this subject but it didn't solve my problem sadly. I have recently rebuilt my PC (had to replace the m/b due to issues with the old one - well I think) and since reinstalling Windows 8 it no longer detects my DVD-RW drive (but installed off it just fine). When I go into the Device Manager it shows up under hidden devices but has an "Code 45" error message on it. However, it is detected in the BIOS and you can boot off it just fine (I'm currently running off a Ubuntu Live CD as I write this) AND if you boot the machine with a disc in the drive, it will detect the drive and work just fine without a problem until you reboot.

Capture2.PNG

I have researched this problem and tried all the suggestions to fix it;

1) Tried different SATA port on the m/b; didn't work (didn't try another SATA cable, but surely it can't be that since it's only Windows that can't see it?)

2) Adding the following registry entry:

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

Also didn't work.

3) Found a MS Knowledge Base article on it and tried the included "MS FixIt" solution; didn't work.

It's a Samsung drive but is Plug-n-Play, so has no drivers for me to install (another suggestion was to manually update the drivers). So coming up empty to what might be the problem? Explorer has become very unstable recently (freezes and crashes alot now) so not sure if that is related? however, I think not likely as this is a common Win8 issue (from what I can tell) just that none of the suggested fixes work for me.....anyone got any ideas or things I haven't tried? any help would be apreciated!

Best Answer MaxVenom , 21 September 2013 - 09:40

If all else fails. you could do a firmware update. Do this as a last resort.

http://www.tsstodd.c...mTop=0&tabIdx=1

Not sure if you have SB (Global distribution) or ID (India distribution) firmware on your drive. Not sure of the version number either.

You can find out what you have on your drive by going to device manager (like you did in your screenshot). Click 'Details Tab'. Click the drop down box and select 'Hardware lds'. It will display the type of firmware and version number in the 'value' section.

Example:

SCSI\CdRomhp______CDDVDW_SH-216BB_HE40
SCSI\CdRomhp______CDDVDW_SH-216BB_
SCSI\CdRomhp______
SCSI\hp______CDDVDW_SH-216BB_H
hp______CDDVDW_SH-216BB_H
GenCdRom

bold text = firmware type/version

Edit: Seems your PC is custom built judging from your signature. You can throw my first suggestion (Toshiba link) out the window.
Go to the full post

#2 +Mindovermaster

Mindovermaster

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC ONE V

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:39

Did you try switching it to a different drive letter? By default, it should be "D", but another device could be using it.

#3 68k

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:44

I had a similar problem with a similar (or possibly even the same) drive. I resolved the issue by deleting some entries in the registry. Follow the steps for deleting UpperFilters and LowerFilters at these links:

http://social.techne...ive-not-working

http://answers.micro...f8-281764361627

#4 OP Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:08

Did you try switching it to a different drive letter? By default, it should be "D", but another device could be using it.

I tried it just then, didn't work. The default for me is "E" as drive D is my second HDD, tried changing it to another free letter to no avail.

I had a similar problem with a similar (or possibly even the same) drive. I resolved the issue by deleting some entries in the registry. Follow the steps for deleting UpperFilters and LowerFilters at these links:

http://social.techne...ive-not-working

http://answers.micro...f8-281764361627

Already tried that, the "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" fields do not exist for my DVD drive in the registry. 

#5 redvamp128

redvamp128

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:12

This may sound like a crazy solution-  go into the device manger and remove it -- reboot and let windows find it again... I seem to remember having this issue when I tested Vista and Windows 7

#6 OP Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:16

This may sound like a crazy solution-  go into the device manger and remove it -- reboot and let windows find it again... I seem to remember having this issue when I tested Vista and Windows 7

Tried that too, it just fails to find the drive at all! To get it back, have to reboot the computer with a disc in the drive....this problem is really annoying!!

#7 68k

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:56

I tried it just then, didn't work. The default for me is "E" as drive D is my second HDD, tried changing it to another free letter to no avail.

Already tried that, the "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" fields do not exist for my DVD drive in the registry. 

You did check this path right? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

#8 OP Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:41

You did check this path right? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Yes, I made sure it was correct and the two keys I was suppose to delete were not present.

Got a bigger problem now :( the Explorer stability problem got worse and you couldn't do anything without Explorer crashing and it wouldn't restart so had to hard reset the PC to get it back (for it only to crash moments later). Went to do a System Image Recovery and it failed, corrupting both the backup HDD (now unreadable) and the primary Windows HDD (now locked)....not my day today :pinch:

#9 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:49

Yes, I made sure it was correct and the two keys I was suppose to delete were not present.

Got a bigger problem now :( the Explorer stability problem got worse and you couldn't do anything without Explorer crashing and it wouldn't restart so had to hard reset the PC to get it back (for it only to crash moments later). Went to do a System Image Recovery and it failed, corrupting both the backup HDD (now unreadable) and the primary Windows HDD (now locked)....not my day today :pinch:

Sounds like you may need a reformat, or even possibly a new hard drive.

#10 OP Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2013 - 07:51

Sounds like you may need a reformat, or even possibly a new hard drive.

Reformatting now. I hope not, it's a brand new SSD...

#11 Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:12

Brand new doesn't mean without faults. SSD's may have become more 'stable' OOB, but still can have glitches.

And what you're describing, it seems there's more going on thatn just a non-detectable DVD drive :-\

#12 OP Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:38

Brand new doesn't mean without faults. SSD's may have become more 'stable' OOB, but still can have glitches.

And what you're describing, it seems there's more going on thatn just a non-detectable DVD drive :-\

I understand that, the SSD worked flawlessly previously. However, it's sadly looking like it could be the SSD failing. I've reinstalled Windows now and it's incredibly slow. It boots as fast as it used to but once you get to Windows it just drops to a snails pace (from when you login)...

#13 Dutchie64

Dutchie64

Neowinian

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:54

That's odd. With failing SSD's it's mostly 'working now, dead after reboot'......

Are you sure it's the SSD? Any chance you can test with a 'regular' HD, to eliminate the SSD as the culprit?

#14 OP Xerxes

Xerxes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:59

That's odd. With failing SSD's it's mostly 'working now, dead after reboot'......

Are you sure it's the SSD? Any chance you can test with a 'regular' HD, to eliminate the SSD as the culprit?

I'll check the other HDD shortly, currently trying to install Windows updates....it's painfully slow (with most attempts failing).

#15 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 12 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 23 August 2013 - 09:00

I'll check the other HDD shortly, currently trying to install Windows updates....it's painfully slow

Can you try swapping the SATA cable?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!