Ballmer to Retire

ballmer msft

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 menifred

menifred

Conquérant de la lumière

• 248 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 1020 Black (8.10.14147.180)

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:09

REDMOND, Wash. Aug. 23, 2013 — Microsoft Corp. today announced that Chief Executive Officer Steve Ballmer has decided to retire as CEO within the next 12 months, upon the completion of a process to choose his successor. In the meantime, Ballmer will continue as CEO and will lead Microsoft through the next steps of its transformation to a devices and services company that empowers people for the activities they value most.

“There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time,” Ballmer said. “We have embarked on a new strategy with a new organization and we have an amazing Senior Leadership Team. My original thoughts on timing would have had my retirement happen in the middle of our company’s transformation to a devices and services company. We need a CEO who will be here longer term for this new direction.”

The Board of Directors has appointed a special committee to direct the process. This committee is chaired by John Thompson, the board’s lead independent director, and includes Chairman of the Board Bill Gates, Chairman of the Audit Committee Chuck Noski and Chairman of the Compensation Committee Steve Luczo. The special committee is working with Heidrick & Struggles International Inc., a leading executive recruiting firm, and will consider both external and internal candidates.

“The board is committed to the effective transformation of Microsoft to a successful devices and services company,” Thompson said. “As this work continues, we are focused on selecting a new CEO to work with the company’s senior leadership team to chart the company’s course and execute on it in a highly competitive industry.”

“As a member of the succession planning committee, I’ll work closely with the other members of the board to identify a great new CEO,” said Gates. “We’re fortunate to have Steve in his role until the new CEO assumes these duties.”

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

Note to editors: For more information, news and perspectives from Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft News Center at http://www.microsoft.com/news. Web links, telephone numbers and titles were correct at time of publication, but may have changed. For additional assistance, journalists and analysts may contact Microsoft’s Rapid Response Team or other appropriate contacts listed at http://www.microsoft.com/news/contactpr.mspx.

http://www.microsoft...uncementPR.aspx

http://www.nasdaq.co...-20130823-00190

#2 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,600 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:09

Microsoft has just announced that CEO Steve Ballmer will retire within the next 12 months.

Developing...

http://mobile.thever...s-microsoft-ceo

#3 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,932 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:10

now, who the Hipster that would replace him?

#4 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• 11,518 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:11

<Topics merged>

#5 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• 3,200 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:12

Got a feeling he was pushed out by the board.

#6 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:12

Bill must come back and save Microsoft! /lonewandererchicken

#7 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,600 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:13

This isn't those trolls that bought a stake in Microsoft, is it?

#8 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• 3,200 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:14

Bill must come back and save Microsoft! /lonewandererchicken

No, please don't bring back Gates. He's doing too much great work and actually is making a difference to this world.

#9 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,411 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:16

Bring back Steven Sinofsky.

#10 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,714 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:20

HAL 9000 should replace him.

th?id=H.4686867027394776&pid=15.1&H=142&

#11 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,124 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:24

Got a feeling he was pushed out by the board.

Translation: I've read the bickering and uninformed comments on forums and drawn a conclusion I would like to see.

now, who the Hipster that would replace him?

Translation: OMG! I will rage against whoever it is in an attempt to look cool (which I was doing way before it was cool).

Basically, this has been a long time coming, and I don't see it as negative against Ballmer i he is retiring (though that may have been a way of strategising his departure without making it look like part of the restructure).  Whoever takes it on has an awesome job ahead after the restructuring :)

#12 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,600 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:34

Ballmer was one of the good guys...

#13 +Jack Unterweger

Jack Unterweger

devoted fan of the us-armed forces

• 2,858 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:36

Awesome! I never was convinced of ballmer contrary to many members in here. My ms Stocks looking good now :-D

#14 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• 3,200 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:37

Translation: I've read the bickering and uninformed comments on forums and drawn a conclusion I would like to see.

Well that was uncalled for... I never said that's what I want to happen. It's just that you wouldn't leave as the head of a successful major tech company at the ripe age of 57 on your own decision. I'm imagining that simply some board members didn't like the direction the company was moving in, so stepped in.

#15 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 10,600 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:44

But Microsoft was successful in switching directions. Sure, they're off to a slow start, but still successful, none the less.