ballmer msft

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#16 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• 4,473 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:48

great news. He had 2 less then stellar Windows releases under his tenure. Unlike Bill. only real tragic windows he was at the helm for the release of was Windows ME <shudders> :pinch:

#17 Torolol

Torolol

• 3,178 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:50

but still successful

like a 'sucessful' write off of Surface RT ?

#18 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,546 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6+, iOS 8.1

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:56

Im glad hes gone. 
Now Windows 9 looks promising again. 

#19 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,390 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 13:59

Well that was uncalled for... I never said that's what I want to happen. It's just that you wouldn't leave as the head of a successful major tech company at the ripe age of 57 on your own decision. I'm imagining that simply some board members didn't like the direction the company was moving in, so stepped in.

I'm being tongue in cheek - it didn't come across.  However:

you wouldn't leave as the head of a successful major tech company at the ripe age of 57 on your own decision

My father did at the age of 38, and then again at 53.  He took 2 companies to a point where they were reaching a point where the next stage of success was requiring more commitment than he would have time for - so he sold them.  It's not uncommon for someone who has such influence within a company and wants it to succeed to put the company first and let someone else step in.

Off topic: All these armchair pundits in this thread do make me laugh...

#20 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:01

Im glad hes gone.

How do you know? Windows 9 has even started yet... Win9 isn't bringing back old things, if that's what you're hoping for. Microsoft has set a new course, it's not endi g here.

#21 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,546 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:02

My father did at the age of 38, and then again at 53. ...

WUT? O.O
Your father is Jesus?

#22 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,546 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:03

How do you know? Windows 9 has even started yet...

I have high hopes.
Anything has to be better than Windows 8. Even your reply to this.

#23 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• 11,730 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:05

I have high hopes.
Anything has to be better than Windows 8. Even your reply to this.

Windows 9 is only going to carry on with what's in Windows 8.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,245 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:07

MS has never beenasbig, successfull, sold as much or had as much innovation as under Ballmer, so a replacement will have some pretty big and impressive shoes to fill.

I don't think sinofsk could do it, he was let go because he doesn't listen to anyone else, doesn't want to cooperate and wanted his department to be everything. Not good for a leader.

It'll be interesting to see who takes over and how he/she does.

But I think MS without Ballmer might suffer, if the stock market where to run MS it would have gone det a long time ago. Ballmer didn't care about the stock market and concentrated on the products.

And I have yet to see anyone who wanted Ballmer gone provide an actual good and valid reason for it. Is always he's anti FOSS or he's a idiot on stage. None of it has anything to do with with actual ability to run MS of course.

While they're looking inside and out, I suspect the next leader will have to come from inside, you pretty much need to have been working at MS for a while to understand the company and run it.

#25 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• 5,546 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:07

XD You didnt let me down. "Quindows" lol :)
Anyway, I reckon Nik should be CEO. This dude is like me, straight to the point. 

#26 Euphoria

Euphoria

--- eüphorïå ---

• 2,353 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:08

Way overdue... the only reason he stayed for so long is because of his relationship with Gates.

He drove the company into the ground.... Mistake after mistake... Millions of dollars wasted...

Glad to see him go

#27 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,245 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:11

Im glad hes gone.

Sinofsky is the one you want to blame, Ballmer is the one who forced he out and forced the to add back in the start button and such in 8.1.

I any case, Win9 isn't going to return windows to the 90, times are moving forward,going back to the old pure desktop and star menu would be the sure death of both windows and MS

#28 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• 34,390 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:13

WUT? O.O
Your father is Jesus?

Eh??? LOL

How do you know? Windows 9 has even started yet...

Windows 9 started the second windows 8 was started, was started the second windows 7 was started.

It's not like they start a whole new code base.  Moreover, the planning for Win9 will be on the roadmap for the development of Win8.

MS has never beenasbig, successfull, sold as much or had as much innovation as under Ballmer, so a replacement will have some pretty big and impressive shoes to fill.

Spot on!

I don't think sinofsk could do it, he was let go because he doesn't listen to anyone else, doesn't want to cooperate and wanted his department to be everything. Not good for a leader.

Again, spot on!

And I have yet to see anyone who wanted Ballmer gone provide an actual good and valid reason for it. Is always he's anti FOSS or he's a idiot on stage. None of it has anything to do with with actual ability to run MS of course.

3rd time's a charm!

While they're looking inside and out, I suspect the next leader will have to come from inside

That 4 for 4!

#29 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• 5,512 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:13

Can't say I'm too surprised. I was a big defender of Ballmer for a long time. As much as people complained, MS was doing well. The software they were producing was great. Windows 7 is probably one of the best OSes ever built. He  really helped do a lot of great work with MS and helped them grow considerably. Then came the recent change in direction. Don't tell Neowin, but there's a lot of negative feeling towards MS recently. Sales have been poor less than stellar, they've shot themselves in the foot multiple times with Windows, Xbox, and mobile, three of their biggest products, and all around they've just lost their spark. I can't think of a time in as long as I've used computers that the overall feel for MS that I've seen from people around me is so low. It's time to change it up. Ballmer is old enough and far rich enough to retire and do something different. MS is ready for a new perspective.

#30 +fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• 3,931 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 23 August 2013 - 14:14

Awesome.. Maybe I will start liking MS again if they hire someone to make better consumer products that I like...