• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vetJohn Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

Posted 23 August 2013 - 16:47

Microsoft's Ryse for Xbox One to include real money options for multiplayer
by John Callaham

One of the biggest launch titles for the Xbox One is Ryse: Son of Rome, the action-brawler from developer Crytek and publisher Microsoft. The game's multiplayer features were first reveled this week at Gamescom and, naturally, they will pit players in an ancient Roman coliseum as they battle others with swords, shields and by wearing armor.

It was also revealed this week that players will be able to use real money to purchase amour packs for Ryse's multiplayer mode. The microtransactions have caused some people to suggest that Ryse will be a "pay to win" game, where players will be able to simply purchase all the content they need.

Eurogamer spoke with Microsoft producer Justin Robey and he indicated that was not the case. He said:

Microtransactions are merely there as a convenience thing for people. It's completely optional and is not required in any way shape or form for gameplay. All content is accessible without using it.

The game lets players gain both experience and gold as they progress through Ryse. Gold can be used to pay for amour packs which can be earned through playing the game or by using real world money. The key difference is that players must also play through different tiers in order to gain access to those armor packs, whether they have real money or the in-game currency. In other words, Ryse players won't be able to purchase all the armor packs at once.

Robey added:

You're probably going to progress to the next tier before you have everything in the lower tier. They might be like, I don't want to grind for this, so I'm willing to buy the lower tiers if I can. But in terms of what the perk is for buying stuff ahead of time, it's actually really slim. It's literally a convenience thing. That's it. That's the only reason it's in there.

In fact, the article claims that Ryse's focus testers said they would like to be able to access in-game items without the usual grinding and that led to Crytek and Microsoft putting in the microtransactions.

Source: Eurogamer

#2 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:45

From a moral standpoint, this video pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject:

http://www.escapistm...7811-Fee-to-Pay

Yes, it's an optional thing in a co-op only multiplayer mode, but it still rubs me the wrong way. These micro-transaction systems in fully priced retail games are becoming more common, and it's pretty damn disappointing. We simply don't know what kind of affect they have on the final game. For example, how do we know that these games are not artificially inflating "grinding" time to unlock stuff for free just to make the paid option more appealing?

It's a shady practice that I hope dies quickly. Unfortunately, there seemed to be enough idiots who bought into the ME 3 and Dead Space 3 systems to make it worth the while for publishers. So it's not going to go away, and most likely will get worse.

Aside for the moral perspective, if you're the kind of player that can't be bothered to unlock stuff the normal way, why bother even playing? You're basically paying more money for the game to play itself. /boggle

#3 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:49

Eh, to each his own I guess.  You won't see me buying into any of it, but I guess it's for some people.

#4 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900 / Oneplus One

Posted 23 August 2013 - 18:52

Aside for the moral perspective, if you're the kind of player that can't be bothered to unlock stuff the normal way, why bother even playing? You're basically paying more money for the game to play itself. /boggle

Because the people who usually do it suck at the game and think that if they spend money they'll get better. It doesn't work like that in most games, sorry.

I mean look at League of Legends and how many people spend hundreds of dollars to buy heroes and skins. Or look at WoW and how much gets spent on power leveling / gold farming.

#5 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:10

So you can bribe the devs to let you cheat.

I hate this crap. If you want a certain item in a game you should HAVE to earn it.

#6 Earthworm Jimmy

Earthworm Jimmy

Oh yeah, that's right.

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 24 August 2013 - 13:34

Shady.  For a full price game to include such thing.