Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KingCracker

Hagel: Obama asks for Syria military options

16 posts in this topic

The Pentagon is moving naval forces closer to Syria in preparation for a possible decision by President Barack Obama to order military strikes, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel suggested on Friday.

Hagel declined to describe any specific movements of U.S. forces. He said Obama asked that the Pentagon to prepare military options for Syria and that some of those options "requires positioning our forces."

U.S. Navy ships are capable of a variety of military action, including launching Tomahawk cruise missiles, as they did against Libya in 2011 as part of an international action that led to the overthrow of the Libyan government.

"The Defense Department has a responsibility to provide the president with options for contingencies, and that requires positioning our forces, positioning our assets, to be able to carry out different options ? whatever options the president might choose," Hagel said.

He said the U.S. is coordinating with the international community to determine "what exactly did happen" in the reported use by the Syrian government of chemical weapons against civilians earlier this week.

http://news.yahoo.com/hagel-obama-asks-syria-military-options-013754560.html

I don't think this is a very good idea.

Whatever the US decides to do, something needs to be done to stop the Syrian govt. Innocent civilians are being killed with chemical weapons and the Syrian government is out of control! I don't think we should get involved over, but if we can save civilians, its worth it

Whatever the US decides to do, something needs to be done to stop the Syrian govt. Innocent civilians are being killed with chemical weapons and the Syrian government is out of control! I don't think we should get involved over, but if we can save civilians, its worth it

The rebels are slaughtering Christians and shias and Assad supporters., They slaughtered over 450 Kurds last week, and these new allegation have not been proven either way. Remember that last time they said chemical weapons were used, the UN determined it was most likley the rebels. Also, the rebels have access to Chemical weapons and proved it with you tube posts.

See here.

2 people like this

We also forget about Russia. they have boots on the ground there.. 

"America, stay out of the Middle East!".

"America, stop standing idly by, go invade the Middle East!".

1 person likes this

Kobayashi Maru

We also forget about Russia. they have boots on the ground there.. 

Got a source?

1 person likes this

Why does it always have to be the US? How about another country step up and take the lead on this one? US is damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Have you tried reading your own link?

Russia has withdrawn all military personnel from its naval base in Syria and replaced them with civilian workers, the Defense Ministry said Thursday.

Thanks anyways. You've saved me some time.

Have you tried reading your own link?

...their Navy ships are still there and I would bet they are not being manned by civilians (just the base support ops are).

additionally...from the same article...

Moscow, however, also has an unknown number of military advisers in Syria who help its military operate and maintain Soviet- and Russian-built weapons that make up the core of its arsenals.

Why not Google yourself instead of getting an attitude?

^^ thanks for saving me the trouble of correcting him. Russian military involvement in Syria is news so establishe it has tap roots.

'very little doubt' Assad used chemical weapons

A top Obama administration official says there is "very little doubt" the Syrian government last week used a chemical weapon on civilians, killing at least 100 people.

The official said Sunday that U.S. intelligence officials made the assessment based on "the reported number of victims, reported symptoms of those who were killed or injured and witness accounts."

The official said the White House also thinks Syrian President Bashar Assad and his forces are denying United Nations investigators immediate access to the site of the reported chemical weapons attack Wednesday in the Damascus suburbs to give the evidence time to degrade.

The Syrian government reportedly said Sunday it will allow U.N. inspectors to visit the site. However, U.S. officials think any evidence of an attack has already been too degraded.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/08/25/administration-now-says-very-little-doubt-assad-used-chemical-weapon-on-syrian/#ixzz2czg5xhM8

...their Navy ships are still there and I would bet they are not being manned by civilians (just the base support ops are).

additionally...from the same article...

Why not Google yourself instead of getting an attitude?

So you don't have a source saying Russia has boots on the ground (which was the original argument), do you? Gotcha!

^^ thanks for saving me the trouble of correcting him. Russian military involvement in Syria is news so establishe it has tap roots.

Oh really?