War Thunder dev: PS4 GPU is 40% more powerful than Xbox One

As cool as it seems at first sight, this could go either way

Sonyfanboy: My console is 40% more powerful

XBoxfanboy: True, but my console can do more, deliver the same performance yadda yadda yadda, at 40% less power usage etc...

As cool as it seems at first sight, this could go either way

Sonyfanboy: My console is 40% more powerful

XBoxfanboy: True, but my console can do more, deliver the same performance yadda yadda yadda, at 40% less power usage etc...

Well, if looks are anything to go by, I doubt that last part lol! Huge box with a big power supply, while they claim it's a "watercooler" of sorts. At least, I'd be pleasantly surprised if it were true!

(yes, I realize you're joking)

PS4-and-Xbox-One-GPU.jpg

Not even true. The Xbox One's GPU operates at 853 MHz, not 800 MHz. The difference in clock speed also changes the TFLOPS calculation.

• Like 3

Not even true. The Xbox One's GPU operates at 853 MHz, not 800 MHz. The difference in clock speed also changes the TFLOPS calculation.

This is correct the extra 53MHz on the Xbox One now outputs 1.33 TFLOPS rather than the original 1.23 TFLOPS.

• Like 2

If I remember correctly, the PS3 had excellent specs and didn't start becoming a major option for gaming until around 4 or 5 years after release, because of the insane price matched with the lack of good games to back it up. This gen, I'm going with the PS4 based on value. I couldn't care less which one has MOARGFX.

It doesn't matter. 53mhz isn't remotely enough to make the xbox one gpu on the same level as the ps4's. And it's not enough to change the fact that devs will have to cut things back in one way or another because of that.

And this game is going to Maximise the PS4 and push it to its limits? Riiiiiight, if it maxes out the PS4 then thats some pretty sloppy coding. Lots of devs come out and claim "We've maxed out the 360/PS3" etc, Im sure they have, but then the sequel comes out and it's even better looking and even more impressive etc.

Why is this thread worthy?

This was already well known was it not?

The point was argued to death with settling around an 40% difference in raw gpu power in the ps4. Was there some reason to question this or is this just meant to 'remind' people :laugh: ?

Regardless, the only people that care about this are those arguing in the 'console wars'.  The rest of us usually buy consoles based on the content we want.  You guys want to argue over console specs in the face of pc gaming?  Please, give me a break.  Notice how the X1 is listed as entry level and the PS4 listed as midrange?  Yeah, these consoles are fairly outclassed by pcs, so I wouldn't be so eager to tout these specs.

Why is this thread worthy?

This was already well known was it not?

The thread was to show that the Game Developer is leaving out the Xbox, of course they had to list the reason why, or the entire thread would be people asking why.

The thread was to show that the Game Developer is leaving out the Xbox, of course they had to list the reason why, or the entire thread would be people asking why.

I'm talking about this thread.  I only see one motivation for this thread:  the 40% number

Just look at the thread title to get that. 

Anyway, if the dev is really making use of all the resources of the ps4, its no surprise that they would choose to only develop on it if they felt they could not make adjustments for it to work on the X1.  Of course gpu is not the only hardware that makes a game perform well, but we are focusing on just the gpu in this case.

Something else about the linked article, I wish someone would clarify the ram bit that was mentioned:

?It depends what you?re doing. GPU, like 40 per cent more powerful. DDR5 is basically 50 per cent more powerful than DDR3, but the memory write is bigger on Xbox One so it depends on what you?re doing.?

First of all, aren't the memory systems of the ps4 and X1 different?  its not just gddr5 (oh and its gddr5, not ddr 5 as they say) vs ddr3.  Since MS added in the sdram and a custom configuration, its far from standard.  Also, they say that the memory write is bigger on the X1 (Is that referring to addressable space or something else?),  I'm not sure what that means.

Basically, it seems like the developer is trying to say that the way they are building their game takes advantage of the ps4's hardware strengths and not the X1's  (again, they seem to point out an advantage/disadvantage for both),

It doesn't matter. 53mhz isn't remotely enough to make the xbox one gpu on the same level as the ps4's. And it's not enough to change the fact that devs will have to cut things back in one way or another because of that.

I agree.  Anything that requires that extra bit of gpu will perform better on the ps4.  I guess the other question is if that difference in raw power can be overcome via other hardware development methods.  I only say that because this reminds me a lot of this gen where the ps3 was considered to have the stronger cpu and the 360 considered to have the stronger gpu and yet there are exclusive games on the ps3 that people will point to as superior to anything on the 360. 

I'm talking about this thread.  I only see one motivation for this thread:  the 40% number

Just look at the thread title to get that. 

Anyway, if the dev is really making use of all the resources of the ps4, its no surprise that they would choose to only develop on it if they felt they could not make adjustments for it to work on the X1.  Of course gpu is not the only hardware that makes a game perform well, but we are focusing on just the gpu in this case.

That is an interesting point, Mentlegen might I make a point, if we start discussing the already done to death subject of the 40% More powerful claim, we risk the thread being shut down, Might we direct our discussion to the game itself etc?

That is an interesting point, Mentlegen might I make a point, if we start discussing the already done to death subject of the 40% More powerful claim, we risk the thread being shut down, Might we direct our discussion to the game itself etc?

I'd much rather talk about the game, but maybe that is better suited for another thread that is titled as such.

why should anyone care what some no name developer has to say, especially since this is a ps4 game,and he doesnt have access to an xbox one dev kit to compare performances. oh hes so clever, he did the same math that everyone else did, but it took him a few months.

why should anyone care what some no name developer has to say, especially since this is a ps4 game,and he doesnt have access to an xbox one dev kit to compare performances. oh hes so clever, he did the same math that everyone else did, but it took him a few months.

Yet if the Xbox was the topic and the PS4 was the one left out and with lower specs.. you wouldn't care right?

The thing is, between servers and the audio chip and other aspects of the design the X1 might be more capable outside of graphics.

Obviously Sony has a more powerful GPU, but if they have to use GPGPU to keep up that cuts out some of their advantage.

Personally, I'll undoubtedly be going back to PC in 2-4 years so whatever works.

You should never ever listen to dev making exclusive titles or having some sort of exclusive content deals for their titles.

Those people have a lot of reason to hype the console they are making exclusive contents for.

as both PS4 & XB1 using AMD chip,

so, why did AMD decided to design PS4 more powerful than XB1 ?

AMD did not. The kinect is an expensive device. Maybe microsoft had to cut some corners even when considering the price difference.

Sony has the raw spec edge, MS probably have the dev tool/OS edge ... will probably pan out much like the last generation only we're at a point now in performance that it may not make as much of a difference. Though Naughty Dog is sure to make me change my mind about that at some point :).

Why would the dev of War Thunder even have any experience with the XB1, I thought this was PS4/PC game and has nothing to do with the XB1? The argument of maths is an easy one but it just seems like a pointless exercise for the dev's to just try and promote the console they have chosen to develop for, which is hardly a surprising thing.

Given that the PS3 on paper was more powerful than the 360 but IMO I never saw a game that looked miles better on one console vs the other, it would seem that power doesn't have as much to do with the quality of the game as much as some may like to think.