ps4 xbox one specs gpu ram cpu

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 McKay

McKay

Grossly Incandescent.

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:46

I'm talking about this thread.  I only see one motivation for this thread:  the 40% number

Just look at the thread title to get that. 

Anyway, if the dev is really making use of all the resources of the ps4, its no surprise that they would choose to only develop on it if they felt they could not make adjustments for it to work on the X1.  Of course gpu is not the only hardware that makes a game perform well, but we are focusing on just the gpu in this case.

That is an interesting point, Mentlegen might I make a point, if we start discussing the already done to death subject of the 40% More powerful claim, we risk the thread being shut down, Might we direct our discussion to the game itself etc?

#17 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:49

That is an interesting point, Mentlegen might I make a point, if we start discussing the already done to death subject of the 40% More powerful claim, we risk the thread being shut down, Might we direct our discussion to the game itself etc?

I'd much rather talk about the game, but maybe that is better suited for another thread that is titled as such.

#18 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:09

why should anyone care what some no name developer has to say, especially since this is a ps4 game,and he doesnt have access to an xbox one dev kit to compare performances. oh hes so clever, he did the same math that everyone else did, but it took him a few months.

#19 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:15

why should anyone care what some no name developer has to say, especially since this is a ps4 game,and he doesnt have access to an xbox one dev kit to compare performances. oh hes so clever, he did the same math that everyone else did, but it took him a few months.

Yet if the Xbox was the topic and the PS4 was the one left out and with lower specs.. you wouldn't care right?

#20 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:22

It doesn't matter. 53mhz isn't remotely enough to make the xbox one gpu on the same level as the ps4's. And it's not enough to change the fact that devs will have to cut things back in one way or another because of that.

The thing is, between servers and the audio chip and other aspects of the design the X1 might be more capable outside of graphics.

Obviously Sony has a more powerful GPU, but if they have to use GPGPU to keep up that cuts out some of their advantage.

Personally, I'll undoubtedly be going back to PC in 2-4 years so whatever works.

#21 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:28

as both PS4 & XB1 using AMD chip,

so, why did AMD decided to design PS4 more powerful than XB1 ?

#22 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:29

You should never ever listen to dev making exclusive titles or having some sort of exclusive content deals for their titles.

Those people have a lot of reason to hype the console they are making exclusive contents for.

#23 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:30

as both PS4 & XB1 using AMD chip,

so, why did AMD decided to design PS4 more powerful than XB1 ?

AMD did not. The kinect is an expensive device. Maybe microsoft had to cut some corners even when considering the price difference.

#24 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:31

Sony has the raw spec edge, MS probably have the dev tool/OS edge ... will probably pan out much like the last generation only we're at a point now in performance that it may not make as much of a difference. Though Naughty Dog is sure to make me change my mind about that at some point :).

#25 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:34

Why would the dev of War Thunder even have any experience with the XB1, I thought this was PS4/PC game and has nothing to do with the XB1? The argument of maths is an easy one but it just seems like a pointless exercise for the dev's to just try and promote the console they have chosen to develop for, which is hardly a surprising thing.

Given that the PS3 on paper was more powerful than the 360 but IMO I never saw a game that looked miles better on one console vs the other, it would seem that power doesn't have as much to do with the quality of the game as much as some may like to think.

#26 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:35

Sony has the raw spec edge, MS probably have the dev tool/OS edge ... will probably pan out much like the last generation only we're at a point now in performance that it may not make as much of a difference. Though Naughty Dog is sure to make me change my mind about that at some point :).

There's no denying multiplatform titles will mostly look and play the same on both consoles. People who can't admit that are drinking some serious kool aid (from both sides). There will be some exclusive contents thru some deals specially in the first 2 or 3 years. Devs doing so will be paid to say this exclusive content is not possible on the other platform for this and that bull**** reason. But for the most part they will be the same specially when we will be past the first years.

#27 mrp04

mrp04

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:41

I'm just disappointed in how weak BOTH systems are. Can't even guarantee 1080p60. The 360 and PS3 were much stronger for their time than these two systems. I have both pre-ordered but I might just go with PS4 because resolution is important to me and PS4 is more likely to give me 1080p. XB1 also costs $100 more because it forces me to buy a dumb camera.

#28 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 25 August 2013 - 16:43

Given that the PS3 on paper was more powerful than the 360 but IMO I never saw a game that looked miles better on one console vs the other, it would seem that power doesn't have as much to do with the quality of the game as much as some may like to think.

Some of that is because the best looking games are optimized and exclusive to a platform. I'd have to say the best looking games, to me, were/are on the PS3. Heavenly Sword, Uncharted Series, Wipeout (could be done on XBox, just hasn't. Though I don't know it could do 60fps, 1080p). Then there's Forza and Gears which somehow look just as good, maybe a hair below. And Even Heavenly Sword for all it's beauty was not optimized and had some performance issues.

I still think Gears 1 is one of the best looking games still. Devs, particularly PC devs suffer from resolutionitis IMO. Too much emphasis on pixels and polygons and not enough on art, models, and textures.

#29 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 25 August 2013 - 17:55

Devs, particularly PC devs suffer from resolutionitis IMO. Too much emphasis on pixels and polygons and not enough on art, models, and textures.

There are technical reasons for this.  With the PC it's easier to push higher res content than more assets.

http://www.bit-tech....ll-to-directx/2

This may or may not be relevant in a few years, but I'd suspect it's holding everything back.

#30 helios01

helios01

Neowinian

Posted 25 August 2013 - 18:04

Kind of wish these developers would read performance based testing articles and post their own benchmarks to arrive at these conclusions, blanket statements like these really don't mean much. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!