49 replies to this topic

#16 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 19:33

Aww crap :\
So is there no way on god's green earth I can get my data back again? :(

You might be able to send it to a recovery service, if it is very important. Seagate themselves has a data recovery lab. It is pricey, but they do a good job. I have sent drives there before (for work, couple of users who have since learned the importance of redundant backups).

#17 OP Gautham117

Gautham117

Neowinian

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:49

Well I jus hit up my vendor. ..I didnt tell him I dropped it...i told him it stopped working. .. said they'd probably replace the drive. .. said he could 'try' to get some data out of it for a fee...he's just a computer store owner so I don't know if he's authorized to open up the drives which could void warranty. ..so what is this magic that he could perform without opening up the drive? There's about only 30gb data of the 700gb stored that i want. ..rest is expendible...so do I let him try or should I just go in for replacement?
Ps: I just learnt from a friend that he owns the very same drive I do and he's dropped it a bunch of times with no adverse effects. ....so im still pretty bent up on that 'head stuck on a platter idea'...im itching to open up the hard drive to give it a shot ..I know it sounds stupid. ..but one small fix of the read arm and my drive could be up and running again !

#18 +Zag L.

Zag L.

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64Gb

Posted 27 August 2013 - 15:47

Are you saying you want to open it up and 'fix' the read arm?

Really.....  Do you have any idea how much that isn't going to work?

#19 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 August 2013 - 15:58

Should add here...

I have 4 sources I back all important data to.

1. My 2x 320GB HDDs in RAID1

2. My NAS enclosure, has 2x 640GB HHDs in RAID1

3. My 500GB external drive. regular 500GB 3.5 HDD, IcyDock enclosure. I only use it when I am normally out and about.

4. My UbuntuOne cloud service. Only save mostly pictures on there.

Here is my Backup

Drive C which has pretty much Just Apps and crap on my desktop

Drive D Has videos and a folder called tech files which document wise is all things important

Drive F This has isos and setup files for Office / Windows and other stuff

Drive S is a nighty backup drive for all things D (Get it? haha)

Office Site Backup 1-1 / 1-2 are 3TB drives put into a sata dock once a month and rotated in a safety deposit box (The switch is done at the bank, both drives are never at my house, car or moving in the same location at 1 time, except for when I switch them out at the bx) which backs up c, d, and F and G

Carbonite, Backs up all documents, desktop and the tech files folder on Drive D

DVD copy of tech files once a month also in my safety deposit box.

Quickbooks Laptop SSD Drive - Is a laptop just for quickbooks and NOTHING else, No web Browsing , just quickbooks and Windows updates. It is accessed via Remote desktop via my main 4 Monitor workstation and my dual monitor couch computer.

The Quickbooks company file on the laptop is backed up nightly on Drive D (which is then backed up to carbonite and monthly to the 3TB backup drive and a DVD), my couch computer both over the network as well as a USB drive plugged into the laptop each one storing 14 different versions.

#20 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 August 2013 - 16:07

.im itching to open up the hard drive to give it a shot ..I know it sounds stupid. ..but one small fix of the read arm and my drive could be up and running again !

That is going to go from "Bad to Epic Fail" in about 2 seconds flat.

#21 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 17:30

".but one small fix of the read arm and my drive could be up and running again ! "

As already stated - that sounds like a really bad idea ;)

Do you have a "clean" room to open up this disk in? Do you have the correct tools perform such an operation?

If you believe the arm is just stuck - might as well just slap it a few times or drop it again.. This would be better choice then thinking you could open up the actual drive and do anything with the arm that might fix anything ;)

Now if something just broke in the external case that is causing it to fail - then as already suggested you could pull it out of the case and directly connect it to your pc or use a usb cable.. These are about 20$ or so and allow you to connect real easy any 2.5/3.5 pata or sata disk to your PC for access.. These sorts of cables are standard toolkit for any techy.

I have opened up a few disks in my day, to harvest the magnets for use on the frig to hang kids art work, etc. These magnets are freakishly powerful, unless your trained in that sort of work.. And I got my 2M (Miniature/MicroMiniature) cert for soldering in the Navy and wouldn't even attempt it. I doubt you could take it apart without damage, and even less likely to put it back together again.

Sounds like your best course of action is to return to the shop you get it from and see what they can do, if they will replace it for you. Then your a head of the game in your life lesson about backups - you might of lost your data, but your not out the cost of a new hdd.

#22 daorbed9

daorbed9

Neowinian

Posted 27 August 2013 - 17:40

Well I jus hit up my vendor. ..I didnt tell him I dropped it...i told him it stopped working. .. said they'd probably replace the drive. .. said he could 'try' to get some data out of it for a fee...he's just a computer store owner so I don't know if he's authorized to open up the drives which could void warranty. ..so what is this magic that he could perform without opening up the drive? There's about only 30gb data of the 700gb stored that i want. ..rest is expendible...so do I let him try or should I just go in for replacement?
Ps: I just learnt from a friend that he owns the very same drive I do and he's dropped it a bunch of times with no adverse effects. ....so im still pretty bent up on that 'head stuck on a platter idea'...im itching to open up the hard drive to give it a shot ..I know it sounds stupid. ..but one small fix of the read arm and my drive could be up and running again !

Kinda smells like a troll at this point.

#23 OP Gautham117

Gautham117

Neowinian

Posted 27 August 2013 - 18:14

Guys guys ! It works. ..I did open it and like I guessed the read arm was still on the platter. .thats what stopped the disk from running ...and no nothing was broken inside. ..all I did was gently rotate the disk through the Centre clockwise (not touching the magnetic area) till the arm was off the platter and back into the original position. ..and when I sealed it up and connected I could use the disk whirring again and the hard drive works. ..oh and as for the dust...I guess lil specks don't count for a disk spinning at 7200 rpm!...well it works but I don't know if its still stable as before. ..I got my crucial data back so thats all that counts now
And youtube's gotta couple of arm on platter issue solutions too...clean room isnt exactly neccesary as long as no physical contact is made with that disk (finger prints or sweat in my case :p)
It was a big gamble but it did pay off :D
Ps:I could add pictures if you guys want

#24 OP Gautham117

Gautham117

Neowinian

Posted 27 August 2013 - 18:18

Oh it didn't need much tools really. ..4 normal screws. ..a sticker thingy 7 torx(really small star shaped ones..is it what they're called) screws and I was in the belly of the beast

#25 OP Gautham117

Gautham117

Neowinian

Posted 27 August 2013 - 18:26

Are you saying you want to open it up and 'fix' the read arm?

Really.....  Do you have any idea how much that isn't going to work?

Dude nooo! I have no idea how to fix the arm. ..but I do have basic knowledge of how a hard drive functions on the inside. ..thats what put the idea in my head in the first place. ..the arm was intact and perfect. ..the only thing wrong was it was still on the disk instead of its resting position outside (caused due to the jerk of being dropped) so all I did was get the arm back. ..im afraid getting the arm back may have made a lil mark on the disk but it did work and the data I wanted was still there. ..the disk works (for now) but im guessing there has to be a catch for opening it. ..so im not trusting it any further

#26 OP Gautham117

Gautham117

Neowinian

Posted 27 August 2013 - 18:27

Kinda smells like a troll at this point.

Bro im no troll. ..I guarantee you

#27 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 August 2013 - 18:33

im guessing there has to be a catch for opening it. ..so im not trusting it any further

Indeed.  Get your data off of it ASAP, and dispose of it.  If you think a single spec of dust will have no effect...All I'm gonna say is don't push your luck twice.

#28 OP Gautham117

Gautham117

Neowinian

Posted 27 August 2013 - 18:48

Indeed.  Get your data off of it ASAP, and dispose of it.  If you think a single spec of dust will have no effect...All I'm gonna say is don't push your luck twice.

Yeah. ..I got all the data I wanted out of it. ..but I really am considering getting a new one
Definitely not Seagate though....I was thinking of WD my passport ultra....any suggestions?

#29 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 106
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 27 August 2013 - 19:01

"Yeah. ..I got all the data I wanted out of it"

Well that is great news, and I agree I would not trust the drive with any sort of anything after you opened it. Be it was dropped or not.

As to not using seagate in the future because you dropped it and it failed, that is just nuts. Like saying not going to drink brand X of milk any more because you left in the car for 2 days while parked in the sun in death valley and now it smells and tastes bad even after you chilled it.

I would suggest you buy whatever external drive you find where the price and tech specs meet your requirements. Just be careful with it, they are not meant to be dribbled across the floor like a basketball ;)

Also keep in mind to keep your critical files in more than 1 location at all times. Be it your pc internal drive and the external, etc.. "Critical" files should always and forever have copies in more than 1 location always!

#30 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 16
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 27 August 2013 - 19:16

Yeah. ..I got all the data I wanted out of it. ..but I really am considering getting a new one
Definitely not Seagate though....I was thinking of WD my passport ultra....any suggestions?

here's the thing, Seagate has a bad rep with their internal hard-drives but they have top notch externals, I have 4 (all different generations of model) and they still work great. and it's the exact opposite with WD, they have great internal hard-drives but their externals can be a bit shotty depending on the model you get