My Seagate expansion's fudged up! please help! :(

help seagate hdd external

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 28 August 2013 - 15:45

Guys guys ! It works. ..I did open it and like I guessed the read arm was still on the platter. .thats what stopped the disk from running ...and no nothing was broken inside. ..all I did was gently rotate the disk through the Centre clockwise (not touching the magnetic area) till the arm was off the platter and back into the original position. ..and when I sealed it up and connected I could use the disk whirring again and the hard drive works. ..oh and as for the dust...I guess lil specks don't count for a disk spinning at 7200 rpm!...well it works but I don't know if its still stable as before. ..I got my crucial data back so thats all that counts now
And youtube's gotta couple of arm on platter issue solutions too...clean room isnt exactly neccesary as long as no physical contact is made with that disk (finger prints or sweat in my case :p)
It was a big gamble but it did pay off :D
Ps:I could add pictures if you guys want

Awesome man! Congratulations getting it working again! That must be a huge relief!

#47 OP Gautham117

Gautham117

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:43

Awesome man! Congratulations getting it working again! That must be a huge relief!

Yes indeed! It took a helluva lot of guts to open it up especially since I was working on just a hunch :p

#48 OP Gautham117

Gautham117

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:49

"at is a 2tb usb powered (no external power needed) hard drive."Do you really need a 2TB external? This is for backup and transport.. What is your other storage equal? Are you transporting 2TB of data at a time?You spending money for the sake of spending money on space you have no need for? Do you have 2TB worth of data that needs to be backed up?So maybe you should look to something like this since you like to play catch with yours and dribble them..http://www.lacie.com...ct.htm?id=10599Its SSD so fast, it can handle drops from 4 Feet in the spec, etc.Here you gohttps://iosafe.com/p...rtable-overviewThe ioSafe Rugged Portable is the safest way to move data. Whether you need to protect data from drops during your commute or protect it from the most extreme environments on the planet, the Go-Anywhere ioSafe Rugged Portable Hard Drive is up to the job. Learn more >Crush protection up to 5,000 lbs.Drop protection up to 20'Immersion protection up to 30' for 3 daysUSB 3.0 and USB 2.0, FireWire 800Data Recovery Service up to $5,000World's best warrantyWorks with Macs and PCs

Well yes I do have a huge need for space ...all my pc has is 250gb amd I rely on the western external to store my huge movie collection (I had 700gb as of the previous Seagate drive :p)
As for personal photos and videos ive taken your advice and have two backups now
And regarding the ultra rugged drive you mentioned. ..well my drive isn't prone to much accidents really jus that one fateful one...I dont usually take it long...jus maybe to a friend's place or safely tucked in my bag during travel. ..so spending big bucks on rugged drives isn't rrally my thing....tge wd my passport 2tb does seem like a good deal to me

#49 OP Gautham117

Gautham117

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:54

Conflicting indeed.  Make of it what you will.  Over the years, I've read enough horror stories concerning Seagate drives, and have experienced my own enough times, that I'm simply not willing to take further chances for either my own use, or recommend them to others.  All three Seagate drives that have come into my possession have died, whereas out of the 30+ other drives I've owned over the years (a mixture of brands, but mostly WD), only one had to be sent back for replacement.  While I'm personally working, statistically, with an insignificantly small sample size, there's no denying it looks pretty bad for Seagate.

I'm not buying into the idea that a larger hard drive is more likely to fail.  Some might suggest that the more data you have on a large drive, the more data it is you're going to lose when it does fail, but then this was already the case back when a 40MB drive was considered incredibly large.  That's why backing up isn't going out of style.

What I would avoid is using enclosures that actually use a pair of drives not as a mirror, but a striped set (ie, having two 2TB drives presenting themselves as one 4TB drive), as one dead drive means the data on the second is useless.
Regarding the mirrored drives you mentioned. .aren't almost all two tb drives

[Edit]
I forgot about that self-powered drive part you mentioned at the very end.  Sounds fishy.  There's a reason most drive enclosures have an external power supply.  Unless the enclosure's power cable actually splits into two USB connectors, I wouldn't trust it--otherwise I'd expect to have the drive disappear/reappear on its own...something you definitely do NOT want for a hard drive.

Conflicting indeed.  Make of it what you will.  Over the years, I've read enough horror stories concerning Seagate drives, and have experienced my own enough times, that I'm simply not willing to take further chances for either my own use, or recommend them to others.  All three Seagate drives that have come into my possession have died, whereas out of the 30+ other drives I've owned over the years (a mixture of brands, but mostly WD), only one had to be sent back for replacement.  While I'm personally working, statistically, with an insignificantly small sample size, there's no denying it looks pretty bad for Seagate.

I'm not buying into the idea that a larger hard drive is more likely to fail.  Some might suggest that the more data you have on a large drive, the more data it is you're going to lose when it does fail, but then this was already the case back when a 40MB drive was considered incredibly large.  That's why backing up isn't going out of style.

What I would avoid is using enclosures that actually use a pair of drives not as a mirror, but a striped set (ie, having two 2TB drives presenting themselves as one 4TB drive), as one dead drive means the data on the second is useless.

[Edit]
I forgot about that self-powered drive part you mentioned at the very end.  Sounds fishy.  There's a reason most drive enclosures have an external power supply.  Unless the enclosure's power cable actually splits into two USB connectors, I wouldn't trust it--otherwise I'd expect to have the drive disappear/reappear on its own...something you definitely do NOT want for a hard drive.

Regarding the mirrored drives you mentioned. ...aren't all 2tb+ drives that way? Like you know 1tbx2 or 500gb*4 (as in wd my passport iltra 2tb)
So that's rally bad news? :/

#50 _dandy_

_dandy_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:19

Regarding the mirrored drives you mentioned. ...aren't all 2tb+ drives that way? Like you know 1tbx2 or 500gb*4 (as in wd my passport iltra 2tb)
So that's rally bad news? :/

"All"?  No.  I have an HP-SomethingOrOther enclosure that has a single 2TB drive.  I have a WD My Book that contains a single 4TB drive.  It's easy enough to tell just by the size of the enclosure itself.

That being said, I'd still avoid enclosures that pair up smaller drives and presents them to the OS as a single drive.