Electric cars are garbage except for saving the environment. They take forever to charge. And when new technology comes along to change that, there's still the fact that the more and faster you charge a battery, the more you decrease longevity. It's a nice idea but it's failing miserably. That said, the Tesla S is a pretty slick looking ride. I don't know if I'd agree with this list either.

Well they aren't exactly saving the environment since the batteries will be destructive when they need to be thrown out.

Also, sure they don't use gas, but charging them pulls extra load from a power plant (which are 40+% coal in the world), leading to more pollution.

We'd be in big big trouble if electric cars were to become widespread.  The power grids would have to be massively upgraded.

There needs to be huge gains in battery technology for these cars to be technically "economical".

Electric cars are garbage except for saving the environment. They take forever to charge. And when new technology comes along to change that, there's still the fact that the more and faster you charge a battery, the more you decrease longevity. It's a nice idea but it's failing miserably. That said, the Tesla S is a pretty slick looking ride. I don't know if I'd agree with this list either.

It is probably a wash on how much they help the environment when you factor in how "ungreen" it was to build them.

Well they aren't exactly saving the environment since the batteries will be destructive when they need to be thrown out.

Also, sure they don't use gas, but charging them pulls extra load from a power plant (which are 40+% coal in the world), leading to more pollution.

We'd be in big big trouble if electric cars were to become widespread.  The power grids would have to be massively upgraded.

There needs to be huge gains in battery technology for these cars to be technically "economical".

You raise an interesting point. This is where I would ask about hydrogen powered cars, like the Honda Clarity. I don't like the car itself but the concept seems reasonable.

You raise an interesting point. This is where I would ask about hydrogen powered cars, like the Honda Clarity. I don't like the car itself but the concept seems reasonable.

Yeah I've always thought Hydrogen would become a heavily developed tech.  I think the major problem would be that the gas tank would double as a pretty powerful bomb (since it's super pressurized), but otherwise hydrogen could be an extremely cheap and limitless energy source.

Yeah I've always thought Hydrogen would become a heavily developed tech.  I think the major problem would be that the gas tank would double as a pretty powerful bomb (since it's super pressurized), but otherwise hydrogen could be an extremely cheap and limitless energy source.

^ Where will you get the hydrogen, other than splitting water by electricity ?

Good point