win7 win8 vista

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

#1 martin88

martin88

Neowinian

• Phone: Windows Phone 8

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:51

Everyone knows Vista is the OS that everyone loves to hate. When it was launched computers were too slow and crappy for it, but I like it better than Windows 7, and 8 on modern hardware. Here's why:

1. Windows Movie Maker and Windows Mail are integrated and they're better than the Live versions, available for Win 7.
2. Windows Vista lets me use a small bmp as a desktop wallpaper, while Win 7 blurs it.
3. Two extra games for Vista Ultimate (Win 7 Ultimate has no such extras).
4. I prefer Vista's default theme and wallpaper to the Win 7 ones.
5. Vista with SP1 and SP2 is just as fast on my PC as Windows 7.

The only drawbacks of Vista I can think of are:
1. No native DVD writer
2. Cannot switch between wallpapers automatically
3. Unlike Win XP and 7, I have to click "Ok" after safely removing hardware.

Apart from those Win 7 and Vista are pretty much very similar, so I don't see the need to upgrade. And I like Windows 8 for tablets and the Windows Phone 8 OS is nice, but I don't like it on a laptop or a PC.
I don't care about Jump lists, Aero Peek, Libraries and the bigger taskbar. And Aero Shake and Aero Snap are annoying imo. I also find the HomeGroup annoying and useless and I don't like its icon that always appears in Windows 7 Explorer.

I hope that when I buy my new laptop with Win 8 I'll be able to dowgrade to Vista. Am I the 0only one that's sticking with Vista? :)

#2 NateB1

NateB1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:58

Um... O_O.

Yeah, good luck with downgrading to an OS released 7 years ago...

#3 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:58

Be prepared for an onslaught of hate.

I liked Vista from day 1, but personally I see no reason to use it these days. It's in its Extended lifecycle (meaning it won't get any new features), and I find 7 and 8 to be better, but unlike many around here, I always liked Vista.

#4 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:04

Be prepared for an onslaught of hate.

I liked Vista from day 1, but personally I see no reason to use it these days. It's in its Extended lifecycle (meaning it won't get any new features), and I find 7 and 8 to be better, but unlike many around here, I always liked Vista.

I would think most people don't care about personal preference that much, even if we might find the reasons a bit lacking.

#5 Gladiatorus

Gladiatorus

Neowinian

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:08

Am I the 0only one that's sticking with Vista? :)

Probably.

#6 +cyoung1616

cyoung1616

12 Year Veteran. 2001-2013

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:09

Just use what you like, that way you are happy and comfortable...

Cody

#7 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:30

I liked vista.. but 7 is a clear upgrade.. so is 8 in technical terms... i'll wait to see 8.1 if the interface has improved as much as I've hoped.

#8 XerXis

XerXis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:32

I liked vista, but in my opinion windows 7 is a lot better

#9 OP martin88

martin88

Neowinian

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:33

Um... O_O.

Yeah, good luck with downgrading to an OS released 7 years ago...

Tell that to the 30% still using XP.

#10 trek

trek

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:45

My main peeve with Vista was that it took a century to shut down.

#11 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:46

martin88, on 26 Aug 2013 - 02:33, said:

Tell that to the 30% still using XP.

how many of those are corporate users who are still relying on code that only works on XP... or worse; IE6

#12 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:56

I never had an issue with Vista and was always happy to use it. However, 7 and 8 crapped all over it in my opinion and i wouldn't go back to it.

#13 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:02

I migrated from XP x64 to Vista and I, too, loved it.  I got Vista for free from a Microsoft promotion and I was actually grateful for it.  I was already running the beta at the time, so I knew there were no issues with it (aside from having to disable UAC because it was more of a pain in the ass than a useful tool at that point in its development) and I was appalled by the bad reputation it quickly received.  Yes, there were some driver issues for some people, but most of those were ironed out pretty quickly when developers finally realized that yes, they did have to get off their ass and write new drivers, or else people would quit buying their hardware.  It's unfortunate that most developers were lazy during the beta; it wasn't Microsoft's fault.  I didn't see Windows 7 as anything more than a service pack for Vista and was outraged that I'd have to pay so much for something that was more of an update than an upgrade.  But I did upgrade, because in comparison to 7, Vista isn't as good.  I saved money by getting a technet subscription, and was able to update several computers for a reasonable price.  When 8 came out it was pretty obvious that it wasn't much of an improvement over 7, either, but it was an improvement, so I paid my $15 to upgrade (only my primary computer this time).  I look forward to 8.1.  I don't expect 9 to be much of a leap from 8.x, either, but I do expect it'll be an improvement in some way and I will find the cheapest upgrade option available and take it.  Vista was great, in its time.  Good riddance to the XP that it replaced.  However, Vista is dead now and should stay in its coffin.  I suppose some people just don't have the means to upgrade, but I really can't understand why anybody would still be using Vista when 7 is available.  It's 8 years old now, and it shows.

#14 ZeroSeven

ZeroSeven

NeoDevil

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:05

I too always liked Vista and never had any serious issues with it. To be honest I think a lot of the Vista hate stems largely from media hyperbole and word of mouth from people who had heard it wasnt very good and thus decided to preach that as fact. Microsoft made some very clear (and huge) mistakes with Vista's launch which irreparably damaged its reputation, but the OS itself from a technical standpoint was actually quite good and paved the way for a much leaner and cleaner OS. For those interested in the technical stuff, I suggest reading the Windows Internals 5th Edition book which details at length the changes made under the hood to Vista and thus all subsequent versions of Windows.

#15 OP martin88

martin88

Neowinian

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:07

I really can't understand why anybody would still be using Vista when 7 is available.  It's 8 years old now, and it shows.

I paid for it (got the Win 7 upgrade dvd but reverted back to Vista) and it just looks better imo. I know I can use third-party themes that make 7 look like Vista, but last time I did that I had to reinstall because the desktop couldn't load.