Steve Ballmer’s ‘failure’ illustrated in a single chart

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#61 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• 5,936 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:00

Sales aren't generally weak, just sales of Windows products. Android smartphones, Android tablets, and Apple tablets are selling very strongly. People can make all the excuses they want, I say people are interested in tablets just not Windows 8 tablets.

As for desktop PCs... Sales have been declining for a while but I've yet to meet a single member of joe public that's brought a Windows 8 computer or laptop and not absolutely hated it. The Microsoft apologists can make all the excuses they want, the evidence I see is that the public just doesn't like the direction Microsoft are taking with Windows.

#62 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,345 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:22

Sales aren't generally weak, just sales of Windows products. Android smartphones, Android tablets, and Apple tablets are selling very strongly. People can make all the excuses they want, I say people are interested in tablets just not Windows 8 tablets.

As for desktop PCs... Sales have been declining for a while but I've yet to meet a single member of joe public that's brought a Windows 8 computer or laptop and not absolutely hated it. The Microsoft apologists can make all the excuses they want, the evidence I see is that the public just doesn't like the direction Microsoft are taking with Windows.

Key statement right there.

I've heard both sides.

#63 Javik

Javik

• 5,936 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:34

So have I, I just go with objective evidence. Numbers don't lie, nor do the opinions on tech sites with a less biased spread of users, nor do ordinary people. I work for a computer refurbishment charity and we have had a fair few customers complain about Windows 8.

Neowin is an exception, not a rule. On Neowin you'd probably find people prepared to buy poop in a bag if it had a Microsoft logo on it.

#64 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,345 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:42

So have I, I just go with objective evidence. Numbers don't lie, nor do the opinions on tech sites with a less biased spread of users, nor do ordinary people. I work for a computer refurbishment charity and we have had a fair few customers complain about Windows 8.

Neowin is an exception, not a rule. On Neowin you'd probably find people prepared to buy poop in a bag if it had a Microsoft logo on it.

You assumed I heard both sides...on Neowin.

If PC sales are down, Windows 8 sales are down.  However, Windows 8 sales are not what brought the PC sales down.  Enterprise sales of Windows 8 won't factor into for at least another year.  A lot of businesses have only switched to Windows 7 recently.

I work for a software developer.  Half of the PCs we use are Windows 8.  There is a Windows Server 2012 box behind me.

At the end of the day, a start screen vs. menu isn't going to scare off everyone.

#65 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 22:36

At the end of the day, a start screen vs. menu isn't going to scare off everyone.

But it does. That's one of the things that people who hate Windows 8 hate about it. What else is there to hate?

#66 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,345 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 22:39

But it does. That's one of the things that people who hate Windows 8 hate about it. What else is there to hate?

It does for you, maybe.

And it does for others.  But read what I said.  You are not everyone.  You and I are not everyone.

Windows 8 can take some blame for slow sales, sure.  However it is more to blame on a slow PC market.

#67 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,807 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 28 August 2013 - 22:51

I'm not going to use the word hate, but in our enterprise, many, many people miss the Start Menu. Being able to type at the Start Page is OK, but they see it as more work. They're not going to do a lot of Start Page customization. Other than that, there's not a whole lot of complaint so far. The Surface Pros are really doing well and endearing people to 8. There's just nothing for them to do with the Modern UI at the moment.

We're still completing Windows 7 rollout, which is slowed by not purchasing new PCs and moving to VDI instead. Hope to have 1/3 on VDI in next 12 months.

8.1 will help, and even just having the Start Button back will as well.

#68 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,748 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 22:55

However, you left out sales of Macs.  Macs alone (portable and otherwise) buck the picture you are trying to paint - in fact, sales of Macs are suffering from a larger decline in terms of percentages than sales of PCs running Windows.

Then there is the decline in sales of iPads post-launch of RT - that's real.  I'm not saying that all of the decline is due to RT; however, almost certainly some of it IS due to RT - RT sales came out of someone's hide.

And nobody (not even those of us that like and use Windows 8 without difficulty) is saying that there wouldn't be consternation over the Start menu being gone - most of us, in fact, have stipulated it.  However, as has been the case with MOST objections to major change - in anything - the reasons for the consternation are subjective - NOT objective.

And that is, in fact, your REAL issue with Windows 8 - you can't get past that major change and have no interest in actually trying.

#69 Lezard

Lezard

Some Call It God, I Call It Foolish.

• 1,092 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 23:08

Balmer has always been an idiot when it comes to what the consumer wants. Noone wants metro ui on their pc's, other than ms fans here who constantly defend that pos.

The new "smart" bar is so convoluted and confusing that it takes time to learn and most of the people I know, would rather learn something else and stick to windows 7.

Change is the ugly part of windows 8, its how it made everything that was easier to do with the start menu, more cumbersome and tedious. Windows 8 would had been an awesome os, if everyone had touch screen displays on their pc's.

But sadly very few do, thus that os failed and will keep failing.

#70 Javik

Javik

• 5,936 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 23:22

And that is, in fact, your REAL issue with Windows 8 - you can't get past that major change and have no interest in actually trying.

No, my real reason is that it's utterly crap. I'm perfectly capable of adapting to changes when I actually consider them useful to me, however as I've repeatedly pointed out change for the sake of change does not imply improvement.

#71 das reich wolf

das reich wolf

Neowinian

• 29 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 23:53

Not really. People dislike Windows 8. Sure, tablets and mobile are becoming big, but Microsoft has that space covered....with Windows 8. People aren't buying it. I would never, ever use it and I have a few friends that run it at work and they curse it constantly. They ask me how to do things and I just laugh at them. Windows 8 just ain't cutting it.

You sound like a great person to work with. Someone comes to you with an issue and you laugh at them with no help. What a tool.

As for people not buying Windows 8 .. In my house of 4 people, we have 1 Server 2012, 4 laptops running Windows 8 Pro, Surface Pro running Windows 8.1, Samsung Ativ tablet running windows 8 and HP TouchPad running WebOS and JellyBean. I have recently upgraded a school environment to Windows 8 (from XP) for a client.

Normal people are adapting to Windows 8 well enough when talked through some of the quirks. Sure, there have been questions, and some things are not as well liked as before, but overall the level of support has actually lessened, which means it is easier to use for the lay person.

#72 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,854 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 00:21

Who said sit down?

I got four words for ya: I ****ed this company. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

#73 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:30

It does for you, maybe.

And it does for others.  But read what I said.  You are not everyone.  You and I are not everyone.

I don't think you got what I typed in full so I will emphasize it:

That's one of the things that people who hate Windows 8 hate about it.

Of course that doesn't apply to everyone.:)

#74 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:37

You sound like a great person to work with. Someone comes to you with an issue and you laugh at them with no help. What a tool.

I usually don't find such posts worth an answer, but I will make this one exception and hope I don't live to regret it. We run a mix of Windows XP and 7 at work. 8 is way too new for us but if the boss said roll it out, I would roll it out. I would probably recommend a third party start menu and no one would really know they were even on Windows 8. I use Access and Excel at work heavily as we are a Windows shop. And of course I am suppose to be a Word genius too since our secretary always needs some help. Thank god for Google. :D

At home I am a Linux guy. :)

#75 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,807 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 29 August 2013 - 13:25

I hope investors realize Microsoft is mature. You're not going to see startup/visionary type returns anymore. Long term, steady, reliable growth.