Photo

Huge hissing cat roaming Detroit streets, no more ...

michigan feral cat rescue unafraid african savannah humane society

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,084 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 23:46

Residents of a northeast Detroit neighborhood have been cautious when venturing out on their local streets because a huge hissing cat has been spotted roaming the area for a month. Resident, Reginique Williams described the cat to WJBK Fox 2 news, “It’s tall. It has long arms, a very long tail, and a small head.”

Witnesses in the area around Joann Street south of 8 mile say it is as tall as 4 feet and the extra large 30-pound feline walks around unafraid of humans. Another young resident said, “I was just looking at it and that’s when it looked like an evil thing. So I just, I just ran.”

However experts from Paws for the Cause Feral Cat Rescue, who are trying to trap and save the cat, say the feline is likely more afraid of humans than the neighbors are of it. Matt Bruzek, Director of the organization, identified the breed saying, “It’s a Savannah cat. They’re bred with an African Serval and a domestic cat and depending on how far down the breeding chain they are they can be fairly wild.” Laura Wilhelm-Bruzek added, “My guess is someone had it that wasn’t familiar with the breed. Thought it was a really cool thing to have. Decided it wasn’t for whatever reason, and threw it outside.”

Vondell Boyer, vice president of the Greenbrier Council neighborhood association where the cat was seen, echoed concern of the residents and is worried that once the large cat runs out of prey like squirrels, rabbits and small animals, it may target children.

Reportedly Detroit Police and Animal Control were called but allegedly did not respond. Recently, the Michigan Humane Society said they would investigate. Tom McPhee of Ann Arbor’s World Animal Awareness Society said that there are 10-20 stray cats in Detroit for every stray dog.

McPhee added that the recent reports of 50,000 stray dogs in the city were over estimations. However the number of felines still amounts to a substantial figure, and has not been helped by budget constraints of nearby Oakland County, which has forced the discontinuation of programs to round up stray cats.

source & video

Attached Images

• cat_big.jpg

#2 +xreyuk

xreyuk

Neowinian

• 49 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5 IOS 7 Beta

Posted 26 August 2013 - 23:51

You Americans are crazy.

#3 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,084 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 23:52

I want, as a pet.

#4 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,750 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 27 August 2013 - 00:09

Only in Detroit, lol.

#5 ZakO

ZakO

Neowinian

• 1,016 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 00:13

Residents of a northeast Detroit neighborhood have been cautious when venturing out on their local streets

Standard practice for Detroit anyway.

#6 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,084 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 00:17

Residents of a northeast Detroit neighborhood have been cautious when venturing out on their local streets ...

Maybe the criminals will stay off the streets. ;)

#7 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• 3,699 posts
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 27 August 2013 - 00:19

The cat is must have mutated and grown from the radiation in the Detroit wasteland!

#8 Buttus

Buttus

Neowinian Senior

• 3,270 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 00:39

Yes, catch it to breed with other big cats!  have house cat tigers!   hahah

#9 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 00:50

That ain't nothing to be afraid of. What would these people do if they ran into a panther in the woods?

#10 Phantom Helix

Phantom Helix

um......

• 2,524 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:13

IF it is a Savannah and one generation from the Serval It is very possible that it will be very afraid of people, Full Blown Servals if kept as pets are usually given to their owners as close to birth as possible as the cats make a very strong  life long bond with the owners, so much so that they can not been given to other people after the bond has been made and as a result never take to kindly to other people.

I really want a full serval, but they are not legal in Minnesota and i don't have enough land, but a huge cat with the attitude and personality of a dog that makes such a strong bond with the Owner, that sounds like the perfect pet to me

#11 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 8,943 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:17

You have some of the most laughable gun control laws in the western world, and you can't shoot a cat?  God help us.

#12 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• 25,919 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:25

That's one big god damn ######!

#13 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,949 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:43

These run just 30 lbs, about the same weight as a Maine Coon, a standard pet breed.. We had a big male Maine Coon when I was a kid - damned thing acted more like a dog. OTOH, there are truely wild bobcats throughout Michigan and big males can run 40-45 lbs.

#14 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,084 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:39

I would hate to clean his litter box ....

#15 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:48

Looks like a bobcat mix to me.

http://a-z-animals.c...370/bobcat1.jpg