Photo

Huge hissing cat roaming Detroit streets, no more ...

michigan feral cat rescue unafraid african savannah humane society

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 00:20

Looks like a bobcat mix to me.

http://a-z-animals.c...370/bobcat1.jpg

I agree. We call them panthers in my neck of the woods. :)

#17 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,252 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 23:07

Savannah Cat Killed and Thrown in the Garbage :/

A 25-pound Savannah cat named Chum that escaped from his family’s open window on the east side of Detroit, was found killed and thrown in a trash can.

A Savannah is a cross between an African serval and a domestic cat. Chum was 3-years old and had lived with his family since he was 4 months. He was about 2 feet tall from floor to head when sitting.

Chum made headlines last week when alarmed residents began spotting him walking through the neighborhood.

"It wasn't normal," Paul Hatley told USA Today. "It didn't run away like a normal cat. It just stared at you. ... It was scary."

Detroit Animal Control and the Detroit Humane Society were called, but neighbors said they couldn’t get them to respond.

Reports that the cat was as large as 4 feet tall and sensational headlines might have sealed Chum’s fate. Acting on a tip, a rescue group looking for the large feline found his body in a garbage can after he was shot to death by a resident of the neighborhood.

"I think people can't just go around shooting things they don't understand," Laura Wilhelm-Bruzek of Paws for the Cause, the feral cat rescue group that found Chum, told USA Today in a follow up story this week. "I think we need to be a little bit more respectful of the animals and human beings around us. I'd love to see someone look into it and investigate it. But I'm not holding out a lot of hope. This whole thing from the beginning has just been a mess."

Chum, like many Savannah cats was spotted like a leopard. "I don't think it was the size as much as the coloration that scared people," Wilhelm-Bruzek said.

Savannah cats are considered an exotic breed and were introduced in the U.S. in 1997. They’re sold for thousands of dollars.

Chum’s family is devastated by his death.

more

#18 Xerino

Xerino

The Mouth

• 2,736 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:53

OMG, I knew OCP dropped the ball somewhere, must be a "Robocop-cat" prototype

#19 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 4,043 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:36

The guy talking in the video is annoying as hell. what is it with idiots anymore using that stupid doofus voice?

Almost as bad as those people who misuse "anymore".

#20 Albert

Albert

Neowinian Senior

• 1,530 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:29

where the frag is robocop.

edit: damn. someone beat me to it.

#21 Athlonite

Athlonite

Neowinian Senior

• 1,982 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:59

"I think people can't just go around shooting things they don't understand," Laura Wilhelm-Bruzek of Paws for the Cause,

Erm yes they can it's the American way 

#22 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 63,252 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 14:10

"I think people can't just go around shooting things they don't understand,"

No wonder Aliens are so careful. ;)

#23 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,877 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 09 September 2013 - 14:28

Reports that the cat was as large as 4 feet tall and sensational headlines might have sealed Chum’s fate. Acting on a tip, a rescue group looking for the large feline found his body in a garbage can after he was shot to death by a resident of the neighborhood.

"I think people can't just go around shooting things they don't understand," Laura Wilhelm-Bruzek of Paws for the Cause, the feral cat rescue group that found Chum, told USA Today in a follow up story this week. "I think we need to be a little bit more respectful of the animals and human beings around us. I'd love to see someone look into it and investigate it. But I'm not holding out a lot of hope. This whole thing from the beginning has just been a mess."

Humans have a hard enough time in Detroit, so expecting animals to be safe just isn't realistic. If ever there was a use for nuclear weapons it would be to level Detroit.

#24 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,617 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 14:40

This story really makes me sad. We have a F1 Bengal and I fear if he ever got lost, someone would indeed think he's a wild animal and maybe hurt him. Luckily we haven't ever had an accident like that.

11291_4578351349208_717417573_n.jpg