22 replies to this topic

#1 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:46

The Vita is too expensive.

Should I grab a PSP1000, PSP2000, PSP3000 or a Go? (and why? :D)

I hope to run some homebrew, if that helps.

#2 dimz

dimz

Neowinian

• Phone: Sony Xperia SP 4G (Android 4.3)

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:19

It pretty much depends if you want to play UMD games or not. PSPs 1000 through 3000 came with a UMD drive, PSP Go comes with internal flash instead and can use memory sticks like the previous models.

#3 Blaze_Zewi

Blaze_Zewi

Neowinian

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:28

Get the PSP-3000. :)

The Go has a smaller screen and the sliding mechanism will give you issue in the future.

I also recomeded you get one those Dual Micro-SD to MS PRO Duo adaptor to expland your storage.
Amazon have a few of them listed.

I bought one of those adaptor, added my 2x 32GB Micro-SD and boost my storage to 64GB :D

#4 Studio384

Studio384

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8.1 Update

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:37

PSP Go is a good one if you do not have UMDs, (but if you have, it actualy is still a god choise), I've moved from a PSP 2004 to the PSP N1004, and I was happy (I'm now on PSVita). I used to use my PSPgo very much and it still works perfectly. Since the screen is a little bit smaller, it has also a charper screen (higher DPI).

#5 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:34

The PSP1000 or PSP2000 are easier to permanently modify to allow homebrew to run, however you should be able to get emulators and such running on any PSP revision.

With the later models the hack isn't permanent, in the sense that if you power the PSP off you need to run an app to enable homebrew again, which isn't a big thing tbh.

I still have my PSP1000 i got at the UK launch in 2005, i've been perfectly happy with that. The later models are a bit lighter, some support TV out and have a bit more ram. But other than that I think all pretty much do the same with the exception of the PSP Go which has no UMD drive.

Things might have changed since then, however that was the case at the end of 2011 when i last updated my PSP. Here is a tutorial i made to hack any PSP on 6.39 or lower back in 2011: Install or use custom firmware on any 6.39 PSP [PSP, PSP Slim, PSP 3000, PSP Go]

#6 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:46

The PSP1000 or PSP2000 are easier to permanently modify to allow homebrew to run, however you should be able to get emulators and such running on any PSP revision.

With the later models the hack isn't permanent, in the sense that if you power the PSP off you need to run an app to enable homebrew again, which isn't a big thing tbh.

I still have my PSP1000 i got at the UK launch in 2005, i've been perfectly happy with that. The later models are a bit lighter, some support TV out and have a bit more ram. But other than that I think all pretty much do the same with the exception of the PSP Go which has no UMD drive.

Things might have changed since then, however that was the case at the end of 2011 when i last updated my PSP. Here is a tutorial i made to hack any PSP on 6.39 or lower back in 2011: Install or use custom firmware on any 6.39 PSP [PSP, PSP Slim, PSP 3000, PSP Go]

I have my original PSP From Canada Launch.  It was the version that could be downgraded from 2.01 to 1.50 when Dark Alex came out with that (I was one of the first to successfully downgrade with it).  I have a very old CFW one of the early M33 ones.  I think it's like 2.6 or something along those lines.  Is it possible to go from old CFW to newer ones?

#7 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:00

I have my original PSP From Canada Launch.  It was the version that could be downgraded from 2.01 to 1.50 when Dark Alex came out with that (I was one of the first to successfully downgrade with it).  I have a very old CFW one of the early M33 ones.  I think it's like 2.6 or something along those lines.  Is it possible to go from old CFW to newer ones?

You have done the same as me then, i downgraded from 2.00 to 1.50 then gradually upgraded through the custom firmwares over the years.

Yes you can upgrade from a custom firmware fine, i did so myself. You have to first upgrade to the official 6.39 firmware as explained in the guide i liked to above.

From what i remember that will probably probably give you an error at the end saying your settings are corrupt, however just press X or O and the PSP will delete your settings from the custom firmware and re start.

You are then on the stock 6.39 and can follow my guide. Its probably worth mentioning the final firmware for the PSP is 6.60, i dont know if a custom 6.60 firmware exists as ive used my PSP very little over the last two years, however i believe only one game requires 6.60 to run anyway.

Also some info I posted in a past Neowin thread in regards to emulators on the PSP: http://www.neowin.ne.../?pid=594169334

#8 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:32

What does a custom firmware allow you to do?

Can you still access Sony's online services with a custom firmware?

#9 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:44

I Don't know how cheap you may have found PSP/Go but Zavvi have Vita's pretty cheap.

http://www.zavvi.com...d/10475744.html

If you could save up a little more it may be worth holding out for.

#10 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:48

Essentially run unsigned applications such as emulators, homebrew apps e.g. PSP radio which will play internet streams.

You can also rip all your games and play them from the PSP's memory stick, with the added benefit of reduced loading times and not having to carry UMD's about with you.

Another thing you can do is convert your old PS1 games and play them on the PSP, if you have a PSP its so much more useful when hacked (in my opinion anyway).

As for accessing Sony services when I last tried I could access the Sony store, I couldn't honestly say if CFW users have since been blocked.

#11 OP Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:52

I Don't know how cheap you may have found PSP/Go but Zavvi have Vita's pretty cheap.

http://www.zavvi.com...d/10475744.html

If you could save up a little more it may be worth holding out for.

£144 is too much, when even a new PSP-3000 is £70 from Amazon.

I'd love a Vita in theory but £144 + no running of backups or homebrew is a no-no for me.

#12 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 August 2013 - 13:00

Ah didn't realise a PSP was so cheap.

#13 firey

firey

Posted 27 August 2013 - 13:03

You have done the same as me then, i downgraded from 2.00 to 1.50 then gradually upgraded through the custom firmwares over the years.

Yes you can upgrade from a custom firmware fine, i did so myself. You have to first upgrade to the official 6.39 firmware as explained in the guide i liked to above.

From what i remember that will probably probably give you an error at the end saying your settings are corrupt, however just press X or O and the PSP will delete your settings from the custom firmware and re start.

You are then on the stock 6.39 and can follow my guide. Its probably worth mentioning the final firmware for the PSP is 6.60, i dont know if a custom 6.60 firmware exists as ive used my PSP very little over the last two years, however i believe only one game requires 6.60 to run anyway.

Also some info I posted in a past Neowin thread in regards to emulators on the PSP: http://www.neowin.ne.../?pid=594169334

I haven't touched my psp in a few years.  Need to find it.  So basically update to latest OFW then the CFW can patch it?  I remember having to have the ofw eboot then the cfw one would install it/use it but it was always an unwritten rule don't install the OFW without using the CFW installer.

#14 firey

firey

Posted 27 August 2013 - 13:05

Essentailly it unlocks the device.  Can run ISO/CSO Backups. Can run any PSX backup/game including ones NOT on the PSN.   Can use all services, can run homebrew.  There was at one time a fully custom firmware, but it never got off the ground.  It was missing UMD support, memory card support, and wifi support.

*Please note* I said backups.. so mods don't come after me saying I am promoting piracy.

#15 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 August 2013 - 13:38

I haven't touched my psp in a few years.  Need to find it.  So basically update to latest OFW then the CFW can patch it?  I remember having to have the ofw eboot then the cfw one would install it/use it but it was always an unwritten rule don't install the OFW without using the CFW installer.

Yup, you appear to be able to patch 6.60 from what ive found with a quick Google, my link is for 6.39 and includes that firmware. I might update my PSP to 6.60, however ive not used it for ages.

You did used to need the ofw eboot, however when the PS3 was hacked the keys for the PSP were also discovered in the PS3 (just goes to show how big that hack was). So since then people have just been signing CFW installers / enablers to run on the official firmware. You can only make the update permanent though on the older PSP's though. On the newer models its hacked until the battery dies or you fully turn the PSP fully off, then you just have to run an app to enable the CFW features again.