PSP or Go?

The Vita is too expensive.

Should I grab a PSP1000, PSP2000, PSP3000 or a Go? (and why? :D)

I hope to run some homebrew, if that helps.

It pretty much depends if you want to play UMD games or not. PSPs 1000 through 3000 came with a UMD drive, PSP Go comes with internal flash instead and can use memory sticks like the previous models.

Get the PSP-3000. :)

The Go has a smaller screen and the sliding mechanism will give you issue in the future.

I also recomeded you get one those Dual Micro-SD to MS PRO Duo adaptor to expland your storage.

Amazon have a few of them listed.

I bought one of those adaptor, added my 2x 32GB Micro-SD and boost my storage to 64GB :D

PSP Go is a good one if you do not have UMDs, (but if you have, it actualy is still a god choise), I've moved from a PSP 2004 to the PSP N1004, and I was happy (I'm now on PSVita). I used to use my PSPgo very much and it still works perfectly. Since the screen is a little bit smaller, it has also a charper screen (higher DPI).

The PSP1000 or PSP2000 are easier to permanently modify to allow homebrew to run, however you should be able to get emulators and such running on any PSP revision.

With the later models the hack isn't permanent, in the sense that if you power the PSP off you need to run an app to enable homebrew again, which isn't a big thing tbh.

I still have my PSP1000 i got at the UK launch in 2005, i've been perfectly happy with that. The later models are a bit lighter, some support TV out and have a bit more ram. But other than that I think all pretty much do the same with the exception of the PSP Go which has no UMD drive.

Things might have changed since then, however that was the case at the end of 2011 when i last updated my PSP. Here is a tutorial i made to hack any PSP on 6.39 or lower back in 2011: Install or use custom firmware on any 6.39 PSP [PSP, PSP Slim, PSP 3000, PSP Go]

The PSP1000 or PSP2000 are easier to permanently modify to allow homebrew to run, however you should be able to get emulators and such running on any PSP revision.

With the later models the hack isn't permanent, in the sense that if you power the PSP off you need to run an app to enable homebrew again, which isn't a big thing tbh.

I still have my PSP1000 i got at the UK launch in 2005, i've been perfectly happy with that. The later models are a bit lighter, some support TV out and have a bit more ram. But other than that I think all pretty much do the same with the exception of the PSP Go which has no UMD drive.

Things might have changed since then, however that was the case at the end of 2011 when i last updated my PSP. Here is a tutorial i made to hack any PSP on 6.39 or lower back in 2011: Install or use custom firmware on any 6.39 PSP [PSP, PSP Slim, PSP 3000, PSP Go]

I have my original PSP From Canada Launch.  It was the version that could be downgraded from 2.01 to 1.50 when Dark Alex came out with that (I was one of the first to successfully downgrade with it).  I have a very old CFW one of the early M33 ones.  I think it's like 2.6 or something along those lines.  Is it possible to go from old CFW to newer ones?

I have my original PSP From Canada Launch.  It was the version that could be downgraded from 2.01 to 1.50 when Dark Alex came out with that (I was one of the first to successfully downgrade with it).  I have a very old CFW one of the early M33 ones.  I think it's like 2.6 or something along those lines.  Is it possible to go from old CFW to newer ones?

You have done the same as me then, i downgraded from 2.00 to 1.50 then gradually upgraded through the custom firmwares over the years.

Yes you can upgrade from a custom firmware fine, i did so myself. You have to first upgrade to the official 6.39 firmware as explained in the guide i liked to above.

From what i remember that will probably probably give you an error at the end saying your settings are corrupt, however just press X or O and the PSP will delete your settings from the custom firmware and re start.

You are then on the stock 6.39 and can follow my guide. Its probably worth mentioning the final firmware for the PSP is 6.60, i dont know if a custom 6.60 firmware exists as ive used my PSP very little over the last two years, however i believe only one game requires 6.60 to run anyway.

Also some info I posted in a past Neowin thread in regards to emulators on the PSP: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1012978-just-got-psp-what-can-i-do-with-this/?pid=594169334

What does a custom firmware allow you to do?

Can you still access Sony's online services with a custom firmware?

Essentially run unsigned applications such as emulators, homebrew apps e.g. PSP radio which will play internet streams.

You can also rip all your games and play them from the PSP's memory stick, with the added benefit of reduced loading times and not having to carry UMD's about with you.

Another thing you can do is convert your old PS1 games and play them on the PSP, if you have a PSP its so much more useful when hacked (in my opinion anyway).

As for accessing Sony services when I last tried I could access the Sony store, I couldn't honestly say if CFW users have since been blocked.

I Don't know how cheap you may have found PSP/Go but Zavvi have Vita's pretty cheap.

http://www.zavvi.com/ps-vita-hardware/ps-vita-wi-fi-enabled/10475744.html

If you could save up a little more it may be worth holding out for.

?144 is too much, when even a new PSP-3000 is ?70 from Amazon.

I'd love a Vita in theory but ?144 + no running of backups or homebrew is a no-no for me.

You have done the same as me then, i downgraded from 2.00 to 1.50 then gradually upgraded through the custom firmwares over the years.

Yes you can upgrade from a custom firmware fine, i did so myself. You have to first upgrade to the official 6.39 firmware as explained in the guide i liked to above.

From what i remember that will probably probably give you an error at the end saying your settings are corrupt, however just press X or O and the PSP will delete your settings from the custom firmware and re start.

You are then on the stock 6.39 and can follow my guide. Its probably worth mentioning the final firmware for the PSP is 6.60, i dont know if a custom 6.60 firmware exists as ive used my PSP very little over the last two years, however i believe only one game requires 6.60 to run anyway.

Also some info I posted in a past Neowin thread in regards to emulators on the PSP: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1012978-just-got-psp-what-can-i-do-with-this/?pid=594169334

I haven't touched my psp in a few years.  Need to find it.  So basically update to latest OFW then the CFW can patch it?  I remember having to have the ofw eboot then the cfw one would install it/use it but it was always an unwritten rule don't install the OFW without using the CFW installer.

Essentailly it unlocks the device.  Can run ISO/CSO Backups. Can run any PSX backup/game including ones NOT on the PSN.   Can use all services, can run homebrew.  There was at one time a fully custom firmware, but it never got off the ground.  It was missing UMD support, memory card support, and wifi support.

*Please note* I said backups.. so mods don't come after me saying I am promoting piracy.

I haven't touched my psp in a few years.  Need to find it.  So basically update to latest OFW then the CFW can patch it?  I remember having to have the ofw eboot then the cfw one would install it/use it but it was always an unwritten rule don't install the OFW without using the CFW installer.

Yup, you appear to be able to patch 6.60 from what ive found with a quick Google, my link is for 6.39 and includes that firmware. I might update my PSP to 6.60, however ive not used it for ages.

You did used to need the ofw eboot, however when the PS3 was hacked the keys for the PSP were also discovered in the PS3 (just goes to show how big that hack was). So since then people have just been signing CFW installers / enablers to run on the official firmware. You can only make the update permanent though on the older PSP's though. On the newer models its hacked until the battery dies or you fully turn the PSP fully off, then you just have to run an app to enable the CFW features again.

Yup, you appear to be able to patch 6.60 from what ive found with a quick Google, my link is for 6.39 and includes that firmware. I might update my PSP to 6.60, however ive not used it for ages.

You did used to need the ofw eboot, however when the PS3 was hacked the keys for the PSP were also discovered in the PS3 (just goes to show how big that hack was). So since then people have just been signing CFW installers / enablers to run on the official firmware. You can only make the update permanent though on the older PSP's though. On the newer models its hacked until the battery dies or you fully turn the PSP fully off, then you just have to run an app to enable the CFW features again.

At which point do you need to re-enable the CFW features again? 2000? 3000? Go?

Since I'll want the option to be able to play my game backups from whichever system I choose, I'll need a decent-sized memory card (16GB+) as games are often quite large (1GB+ each).

The PSP Go uses M2 memory cards. 8GB is ?16 and 16GB is ?50.

The 1000-3000 use Pro Duo. 8GB is ?15, 16GB is ?25 and 32GB is ?50.

I have used Play.com for those prices - I doubt other retailer's prices will stray too far away.

I think I'll have to stick with the 1000-3000 series due to the memory card prices.

More specifically, a 3000 (due to the better screen than the 1000/2000).

The 3000 is ?70 on Amazon.

I'm researching second-hand prices of the 3000 as we speak :)

CEX are doing a second-hand 3000 for ?65. Rip-off.

I have a 1000 (launch) and it works 100% fine (as far as I know).  It supports permanent CFW.   I have a feeling though most 1000s will be second hand.   From what I have heard.. the 3000s are the standard ones you can buy now.

I have a 1000 (launch) and it works 100% fine (as far as I know).  It supports permanent CFW.   I have a feeling though most 1000s will be second hand.   From what I have heard.. the 3000s are the standard ones you can buy now.

That's correct.

I am hoping the 3000 allows permanent CFW.

At which point do you need to re-enable the CFW features again? 2000? 3000? Go?

If the PSP 2000 is not an 88 v3 version then you can make the CFW permanent, for the 2000 v3, 3000 or Go you need to do it each time you switch the PSP totally off.

By default when you turn the PSP off it goes to sleep (just a normal flick of the power button) however if you hold the power button up for around 5 seconds the PSP will actually turn off. So if you put the PSP to sleep you should only ever have to re enable it if the battery totally dies or the PSP crashes.

That's correct.

I am hoping the 3000 allows permanent CFW.

Apparently the 3000 or PSP Go on firmware 6.20 can be made permanent, anything higher cant on those models. From a quick Google it appears you can downgrade the PSP's to 6.20 however, then make that permanent if you purchase a PSP that has been upgraded past that. That's not something I've ever done with the current tools available though so wouldn't really want to advise you incorrectly on that. If you decide to go that route and would advise you do your own research and be 100% confident with what you are doing.

I've been playing about with my PSP this evening and updated my CFW guide to the 6.60 firmware, which even supports the budget E1000 PSP released in Europe.

The guide should be a bit easier to follow, i've also used a plugin to take screenshots on the PSP so everything looks a bit neater.

Read: PSP 6.60 Custom Firmware Install on any PSP - PSP, PSP Slim, PSP 3000, PSP Go & E1000

You can still only permanently install 6.60 custom firmware on a PSP 1000 or a PSP 2000 that is not an 88 v3 version.

I've been playing about with my PSP this evening and updated my CFW guide to the 6.60 firmware, which even supports the budget E1000 PSP released in Europe.

The guide should be a bit easier to follow, i've also used a plugin to take screenshots on the PSP so everything looks a bit neater.

Read: PSP 6.60 Custom Firmware Install on any PSP - PSP, PSP Slim, PSP 3000, PSP Go & E1000

You can still only permanently install 6.60 custom firmware on a PSP 1000 or a PSP 2000 that is not an 88 v3 version.

Found my PSP, apparently I had installed 6.39 but I don't remember doing it.  I am doing the 6.60 (via your guide) as soon as it charges.