Ebay seller asking for more money after sale...should I pay?

I bought an item on Ebay earlier today by paying the full amount (no bidding). I got the confirmation email also for it. However, the seller just sent me an email a few minutes back asking for more money because apparently the Dollar exchange rate has suddenly gone up. He has given his bank account details and is asking me to either transfer the extra amount, or tell him to cancel and he will then refund the amount.

Shouldn't the seller honour the price listed originally? Even if the exchange rate has increased, in my opinion he shouldn't be asking me to pay the difference. Is this particular scenario covered in the Buyer/Seller rules so that I can show the seller this? I couldn't find anything.

Report that **** immediately.  He's bound to the price that he sold it at, and he's trying to screw you.  Get a refund and find a more reputable seller. 

And dont forget to rate the transaction badly.

Copy all conversation info and send/report it to ebay.  Wouldnt even give it a second thought.  Exchange rates don't all of a sudden go up like that.  The seller is trying to screw you.  I wouldnt even have any more conversations with the guy.

Wow, that was quick! Thanks for all the replies guys! :)

He is a well known seller with a strong rating. I have also bought from him in the past with no issues. Here is the listing: http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271186796957#ht_2049wt_906

Ok, let me try sending him an email saying he should honour the original price. If he still stands by his original request, I will report the matter to Ebay.

It's a contract between the seller and buyer once an item has sold. If the seller is asking for more, just ask for a full refund, report them and move on.

Once you start dealing money outside of eBay you're no longer covered under buyer protection.

What's the relevance of the dollar exchange rate? Did you pay is a currency other than the currency of the listing?

That's exactly what I am wondering! Nope, I paid in the same currency that it is listed in.

Give the guy a break!! The US$ has gone up by by quite a lot in the past few weeks here in India... Its breaking headlines..

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/08/27/india-markets-rupee-idINDEE97P01K20130827

http://zeenews.india.com/business/news/finance/rupees-downslide-continues-tumbles-past-65-vs-dollar-again_82673.html

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/rupee-plunges-again-opens-at-6522-vs-us-dollar/417506-7.html

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/Rupee-tanks-110-paise-drops-to-64-30-against-US-dollar/articleshow/22070927.cms

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/story/indian-rupee-vs-us-dollar-at-forex-markets-on-aug-26-2013/1/198103.html

Give him his money back or pay up.. He's given you an option. Considering that he maybe a guy buying hardware after you've paid him to send it to you and that he has no control over shipping rates that change, its unfair to treat him that way...

The negative feedback says it all

refunded stating no stock but re listed item for higher price, strange isn't it.

Not Shipped, due to Price Hike, Very Bad Expereince.

changed the price and cancelled order

• Like 1

Give the guy a break!! The US$ has gone up by by quite a lot in the past few days in India... Its breaking headlines..

It takes 2 seconds to revise an auction on eBay. If you're incapable of doing that, you shouldn't be doing business on eBay.

• Like 3

Give the guy a break!! The US$ has gone up by by quite a lot in the past few days in India... Its breaking headlines..

Give him his money back or pay up.. He's given you an option. Considering that he maybe a guy buying hardware after you've paid him to send it to you and that he has no control over shipping rates that change, its unfair to treat him that way...

I don't think it unfair on my part at all. And everyone else here also agrees with me. I was on the lookout for a new HDD, prices have gone up in the past 1 week or so, so when I saw this seller giving it for this price I grabbed it. It is not MY problem if the seller is incurring a loss. He should have anticipated it and changed the price listed sooner.

• Like 2

Maybe it was the wake up call that the seller needed!! Report him!...  :shifty:

I don't think it unfair on my part at all. And everyone else here also agrees with me. I was on the lookout for a new HDD, prices have gone up in the past 1 week or so, so when I saw this seller giving it for this price I grabbed it. It is not MY problem if the seller is incurring a loss. He should have anticipated it and changed the price listed sooner.

• Like 1

An auction is an auction - immediately binding on both parties.  If the seller got his price wrong that's his problem. If he's making a habit of doing this then eBay need to shut him down right now.

• Like 2

Please, with the ###### internet connections here, if you do it in two seconds, I'll buy you beer..  :woot: 

It takes 2 seconds to revise an auction on eBay. If you're incapable of doing that, you shouldn't be doing business on eBay.

Please, with the ****ty internet connections here, if you do it in two seconds, I'll buy you beer..  :woot: 

That's irrelevant. He said it was after the sale closed.

• Like 2

I've emailed the seller saying he should honour the original listing price. Let's see what he says now.

Dear theitwarescom,

This is not correct. You cannot expect me to pay extra for an item AFTER I have paid for it in full and the order is fully confirmed!

I placed the order at a certain price. The correct thing to do here is honour the old sale amount and process the order.

To:
Subject: theitwarescom sent a message about Western Digital WD Green 2TB WD20EZRX 64MB SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive #271186796957
Sent Date: 27-Aug-13 17:07:17 BST

Dear

Due to a sudden dollar increase the price of this hard drive you ordered has gone up so we won't be able to send you the same at the price you ordered the same.

The New price is Rs. 450/- more than the price you paid us and we have mentioned our Bank a/c details below so that you can transfer the extra Rs. 450/- in our a/c.

snipped

If you cannot pay the extra Rs. 450/- please let us know so that we can go ahead and refund the order , this will help you get your money back asap from ebay.

Thank you

- theitwarescom

Just got a reply from the seller, this is what he says...

But our suppliers are increasing prices on a very fast rate now as the dollar is increasing at a very high rate

If i execute the order i will loose 500 Rs. if it was a small amount we would have honored it.

Very sorry and i apologize but we really cannot do it.

Let me know what you would like to do

- theitwarescom
  • Like 1

I have told him to cancel the order and refund the amount. Will definitely be reporting this seller.

Edit: He has refunded it.

Found this HDD on another site I shop on for practically the same amount; ordering from there. The only reason I chose Ebay was because I could pay for the item using EMI. Oh well, no big deal. :)