gaming windows 8 microsoft

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 John Callaham

John Callaham

Neowinian

• 656 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 23:45

Halo: Spartan Assault for Windows 8 to get Xbox 360 controller support and more Friday
by John Callaham

Microsoft's Windows 8/RT version of the top down shooter Halo: Spartan Assault will get a free update on Friday, August 29th, just in time for the Labor Day holiday. The official Halo Waypoint website has posted up what will be included in the free update, but the biggest new feature is the addition of Xbox 360 controller support to the game.

While Microsoft's 343 Industries, along with Vanguard Games, designed the game specifically so it can work on touchscreens, there are some old fashioned gamers out there who have been waiting to play the game with a traditional controller. This new update will finally bring that about and should be highly welcomed by its fans.

The free update will also add five new missions, under the title Operation Hydra, to Halo: Spartan Assault, which will bring the total number of missions in the $6.99 game to 30. Five new achievements will also be added to help Xbox Live users increase their Gamerscore. A couple of the achievement goals are highly specific, such as, "Complete Operation F, Mission 4 with the Blind and Thunderstorm Skulls active."

Halo: Spartan Assault has been the number one most downloaded paid app from the Windows Store since the Windows 8/RT version launched in July.

Source: Halo Waypoint | Image via Microsoft

#2 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• 7,835 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 27 August 2013 - 23:53

How do I hook up my X360 controller to a Surface RT?

#3 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

• 1,658 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 00:46

Use the wireless controller:

http://www.itechpost...-work-video.htm

#4 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• 1,552 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:40

Use the wireless controller:

http://www.itechpost...-work-video.htm

Or a wired one. I imagine it'd work just as well.

#5 EvilAstroboy

EvilAstroboy

Neowinian

• 357 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:36

Or a wired one. I imagine it'd work just as well.

If you have USB Ports

#6 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• 1,552 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:53

If you have USB Ports

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the wireless controller use a wireless receiver which uses a USB plug to connect to the computer? Mine does at least. That video showed the same. :o

#7 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• 3,425 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:04

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the wireless controller use a wireless receiver which uses a USB plug to connect to the computer? Mine does at least. That video showed the same. :o

It does, you need a USB port to connect the wireless receiver or to simply plug a wired controller in.

#8 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,556 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:06

Thank you! Even Taz the Tasmanian Tiger shipped with day one controller support, :D. I did go ahead and buy it to support AAA Modern UI titles, but I haven't played it yet, not even on the Surface. Waiting for this.

#9 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• 3,556 posts
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:07

How do I hook up my X360 controller to a Surface RT?

The USB port, wired or wireless receiver. Has drivers, works on RT & Pro.

#10 domboy

domboy

Neowinian

• 208 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 13:05

While Microsoft's 343 Industries, along with Vanguard Games, designed the game specifically so it can work on touchscreens, there are some old fashioned gamers out there who have been waiting to play the game with a traditional controller.

What a dumb statement. So I suppose anyone that buys an Xbox One will also be considered an old fashioned gamer? And what if you play it with a keyboard and mouse, are you old fashioned or not? I can't decide on that one since the game launched with keyboard/mouse support.

Unless you own a Windows tablet you're probably going to want to use a 360 controller or keyboard and mouse. I do wonder which input method a touch-screen laptop user would want to use though...

#11 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,501 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 20:39

Isn't the 29th tomorrow, not Friday?

#12 este

este

Neowinian Senior

• 2,112 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 13:34

Good thing my Surface Pro has a USB port on it :D
I have the GFWL controller and it works perfectly.

#13 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,469 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 29 August 2013 - 18:59

just got the update pushed to my phone, so when i get home i will see if the update is available for my computer. still have not gotten around to finishing the game i will have to do that this weekend or something.

#14 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• 8,201 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 22:04

In addition a "lite" version of the game is now available (I downloaded it from the Windows App Store earlier today).  You can upgrade to the paid version from within the "lite" version.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!