25 replies to this topic

#1 +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,695 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:33

Google drops Nexus 4 price, now starts at $199

The Nexus 4 just got a lot cheaper. The flagship phone of Google's Nexus line is now available for a full $100 less than it was just hours ago. The 8GB model is on sale through the Google Play Store for $199, while the 16GB model is $249. There's no mention of a newer Nexus smartphone, but the Nexus line itself is certainly due for some sort of update. When the Nexus 4 was introduced last year it was already lacking in one major way — LTE connectivity — and since its introduction the Android ecosystem has continued to churn out multiple competitors. Not only that, but the Nexus 4 isn't the only way to get the stock Android experience at this point, either; the "Google Play" editions of the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One provide something very close to the same software, albeit at much higher prices.

This cut puts the Nexus 4 in the same price range as phones subsidized by carrier contracts, making it a much more appealing option on paper. Whether that will be enough to steer customers towards the LG-built device rather than newer devices like the Moto X, however remains to be seen. Google declined to comment on the reason for the price cut.

Google says that the price drop applies in Australia, Canada, France Germany, Spain, Korea, US, and the UK, and the price drop is at least 25 percent off in all of those countries.

Source: The Verge

#2 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• 3,957 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:04

Too late. A nice new KLP phone or GTFO.

#3 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• 458 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 28 August 2013 - 14:15

Fantastic! I was just looking to buy a new phone and I know what I am going to get now!

#4 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• 1,672 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 August 2013 - 14:19

Awesome to see, had I not gone with a Nokia Lumia 925 I'd probably have grabbed one of these.

#5 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 19:03

Usually a drop in price means that new phones are coming sooner rather than later.

#6 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

• 4,557 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 19:13

Can I get $100 back if I purchased it 20 days ago :D ?

#7 OP +Frank B.

Frank B.

Member N° 1,302

• 23,695 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 28 August 2013 - 19:16

Can I get $100 back if I purchased it 20 days ago :D ?

No. Only if you purchased it after August 12th: http://www.androidpo...ice-difference/

#8 Kriz

Kriz

Neowinian Senior

• 8,433 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:22

2 of my mates sold their phones yesterday and ordered this (Y)

#9 annoyednexusowner

annoyednexusowner

Resident One Post Wonder

• 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:12

Don't do it.  This phone is so buggy - I am on the second phone and this one has the same problems as the first: Wifi connection issues (will not connect to my home or work wifi) that have not been resolved by google; I tried to root it today so I could flash a zip through recovery, but there are no drivers for it that my laptop sees as compatible!  I have a device that completely relies on having everything backed up to my google account, but if it won't connect to wifi, how can I back it up?  I live in Canada, so no unlimited service.  I am ready to throw the thing through the window! Worst of all, Google has done nothing to remedy this situation.  I read an article on here todayabout how the 4.3 update bricked some phones and many commenters were quick to blame people who had been impatient or who had rooted their phones. My phone is unrootable, and didn't work before the 4.3 update either.  It is going back tomorrow.  Galaxy s4 here I come.  You shouldn't have to put so much time and energy into trying to make your phone work.  I shouldn't have to be a developer to use a stupid cell phone!

#10 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,940 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:23

To bad he terrible camera makes pretty much all the nexus line worthless anyway. Even if you just take the occasional picture, there are better alternatives.

#11 Mieky242

Mieky242

Neowinian

• 281 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:49

To bad he terrible camera makes pretty much all the nexus line worthless anyway. Even if you just take the occasional picture, there are better alternatives.

So the entire Nexus line is judged solely on their suitability as a camera? I would say their merits in other departments more than makes up for their poor cameras.

#12 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,940 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:55

So the entire Nexus line is judged solely on their suitability as a camera? I would say their merits in other departments more than makes up for their poor cameras.

Not solely. But a smartphone today is a multi function device. That means each function needs to meet a minimum standard for the device to be acceptable.

The camera is so terrible it doesn't meet the minimum requirement for a smart phone today. Not for a camera. If you want a good camera phone, then you're a lot more limited. I'm talking just for talking a few pictures here and there like every dumb and smart phone user does. There old Nokia flip phones with better camera than the nexus.

And what other merits does it have that the regular user cares about ? All the merits of the nexus is things only geeks care about. People who also generally want stuff like a decent camera more than the average person. Even then. The ability to install the latest "clean" android OS isn't that gig of a merit anyway. And since those that actually care about that are geeks, they can do the same on pretty much every other android phone anyway.

Meaning they can cen a phone that is overall better in every way than the nexus, for the same or lower price.

#13 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• 8,195 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:56

Wouldn't spend that much, even if it is a $100 cheaper now, on a stupid phone in a million years! I have a life and don't need anything like that! Spent more than I'd really prefer to on my current phone that works absolutely perfectly, $79. :)

#14 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• 4,990 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:22

Both the 8GB and 16GB Nexus4 are sold out here.

#15 grik

grik

Neowinian

• 813 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 13:58

Google is really struggling...wow