google nexus 4 price drop

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 14:03

Not solely. But a smartphone today is a multi function device. That means each function needs to meet a minimum standard for the device to be acceptable.

The camera is so terrible it doesn't meet the minimum requirement for a smart phone today. Not for a camera. If you want a good camera phone, then you're a lot more limited. I'm talking just for talking a few pictures here and there like every dumb and smart phone user does. There old Nokia flip phones with better camera than the nexus.

And what other merits does it have that the regular user cares about ? All the merits of the nexus is things only geeks care about. People who also generally want stuff like a decent camera more than the average person. Even then. The ability to install the latest "clean" android OS isn't that gig of a merit anyway. And since those that actually care about that are geeks, they can do the same on pretty much every other android phone anyway.

Meaning they can cen a phone that is overall better in every way than the nexus, for the same or lower price.

Nexus phones are marketed mainly at developers, they aren't really being pushed into the mainstream. Cutbacks are made in areas that aren't so important for developers to keep the phones at a reasonable cost.

#17 Lexcyn

Lexcyn

Neowinian Senior

• 6,031 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 08 September 2013 - 14:12

Google is really struggling...wow

Yeah because having a sale means a multi billion dollar company is struggling...  :rolleyes:

#18 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,195 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 08 September 2013 - 14:20

Nexus phones are marketed mainly at developers, they aren't really being pushed into the mainstream. Cutbacks are made in areas that aren't so important for developers to keep the phones at a reasonable cost.

As a developer, I would prefer my developer phone to be good in all areas so I didn't need to have a regular use phone in addition. 

#19 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

• 4,789 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 14:36

Google is really struggling...wow

huh 

#20 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 15:33

As a developer, I would prefer my developer phone to be good in all areas so I didn't need to have a regular use phone in addition. 

So as a developer you often work on coding projects that really require your phone to take camera quality snaps?

#21 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 6,223 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 15:50

So the entire Nexus line is judged solely on their suitability as a camera? I would say their merits in other departments more than makes up for their poor cameras.

You did not get the memo ?

These days the camera is more important tha the actual phone communication capabilities.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,195 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 17:12

So as a developer you often work on coding projects that really require your phone to take camera quality snaps?

Who said anything about camera quality anyway ? 

but developers need good cameras just as much as anyone, especially if they're developing camera apps or apps that use cameras. 

#23 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,195 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 17:26

You did not get the memo ?

These days the camera is more important tha the actual phone communication capabilities.

It's a smart phone. not a dumb phone or feature phone. it needs to do several things to satisfactory quality

- call

- sms

- surf

- camera

- music

None of these are really more important than the other, they're all important and need to be of a satisfactory quality.  if one of them isn't then you're better off finding another phone where the part that isn't of satisfactory quality is as well as the other functions. 

#24 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

• 1,808 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 17:39

If you don't find the Nexus 4's camera satisfactory then fine don't buy it. But for $199/$249, some people find this phone is just fine. Its not like this is meant to be a high-end phone anyways.

#25 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• 6,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:15

Who said anything about camera quality anyway ? 

but developers need good cameras just as much as anyone, especially if they're developing camera apps or apps that use cameras. 

Why? As long as the phone has a camera, you have a yardstick to tell you whether your camera app works properly.

#26 StandingInAlley

StandingInAlley

Neowinian Senior

• 1,800 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 08 September 2013 - 19:25

To bad he terrible camera makes pretty much all the nexus line worthless anyway. Even if you just take the occasional picture, there are better alternatives.

I agree with this and also the main reason why I have not bought a nexus device till date. Maybe Nexus 5 will fix this?

but for $199 i plan to pick this for my mom. Its dirt cheap.