HP dv6 weird windows install problem

Question

Hello everyone,

I am facing this problem for the first time! I have this HP dv6 2180ek which is my friend's. It had a faulty HDD (startup repair loop even after formatting it) I replaced it and by the same occasion I re-applied the thermal paste.

Now comes the software part. The DVD drive is not working so I copied the windows 7 x64 dvd to a USB flashdrive and booted from it, but it would get stuck after loading the files (while the orbs are forming) and it would just sit there. I said maybe the new HDD is also faulty so I tried another one: same result. I even had another HDD with working a vista installation in it and it would not boot in freezes just before the "welcome" screen.

Then I said maybe the flashdrive is not working properly so I looked around and found a DVD drive lying around so I hooked it up. I tried to install from the windows 7 dvd, this time it gets a bit further (the orbs form) and just sits there again.

I have an old XP x86 CD so I tried with that: it would get to the blue screen then baaam a BSOD (scan your pc for virus or something)

I thought maybe I could change the HDD mode in the bios. The PC comes with InsydeH20 rev 3.5 it has nothing at all just an info screen, an error log, an HDD test, a RAM test and restore to defaults! I did run both tests more than once it says everything is ok.

I am getting puzzeled here! I could not find an update or a mod for the bios to access functions.

Thanks in advance for your valuable help

4 answers to this question

I saw where you said you ran a Memtest, but that was probably the one in the BIOS. Trying running Memtest: http://www.memtest.org/

To me it sounds like RAM. Just create a bootable disk and let it run for a bit.

I saw where you said you ran a Memtest, but that was probably the one in the BIOS. Trying running Memtest: http://www.memtest.org/

To me it sounds like RAM. Just create a bootable disk and let it run for a bit.

Thanks diabolic!

I have another RAM around I will hook it and see!

Thanks a bunch diabolic!!

Indeed it was a RAM problem. I just don't understand why the bios test did not detect anything, it is supposed to be a diagnostic tool yet it is useless!

I installed windows with the sapre RAM I have (4GB) , but then I asked myself what was wrong with the old ones (2x2GB). So I put them back after installation and in system info it displayed only 2GB and in AIDA64 it detected both sticks. I put in the 4GB alongside one of the 2GB and I got 6GB (3.99GB usable); it was weird but then, I blew some compressed air in the DIMMS and reseated the 2x2GB and I restored the BIOS defaults and voila everything is back on track.

I just wanted to share my experience in case someone else has the same problem!

Thanks a bunch diabolic!!

Indeed it was a RAM problem. I just don't understand why the bios test did not detect anything, it is supposed to be a diagnostic tool yet it is useless!

I installed windows with the sapre RAM I have (4GB) , but then I asked myself what was wrong with the old ones (2x2GB). So I put them back after installation and in system info it displayed only 2GB and in AIDA64 it detected both sticks. I put in the 4GB alongside one of the 2GB and I got 6GB (3.99GB usable); it was weird but then, I blew some compressed air in the DIMMS and reseated the 2x2GB and I restored the BIOS defaults and voila everything is back on track.

I just wanted to share my experience in case someone else has the same problem!

No problem, happy to help! It still amazes me how a bad stick of RAM and bring down an entire system.