• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 August 2013 - 15:20

He is Executive Editor of IGN

(Title is his original tweet, edited for length)

Not sure about the authenticity of this but relevant here,

playstation4_gamescom_windows71-pcgh.jpg

#2 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 August 2013 - 15:23

So he is claiming that at the booths they were PCs and not PS4s?

#3 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:08

iBcTPDhrbSX7B.gif

#4 OP BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:20

So he is claiming that at the booths they were PCs and not PS4s?

It's a known fact now that Sony didn't have any working PS4s at GamesCon, all were fake boxes and controller cables passed through them into something hidden below. It might be a devkit or a PC or whatever - nobody knows for sure.

#5 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:28

Well I don't think this is a long term concern for consumers other than it might point to a bigger shortage at launch.  Unless we here about production issues such as part defects or something.

Its possible they had to divert all manufacturing towards launch units and decided to wait as long as possible to send any of those to shows, etc. 

If pcs can accurately demo these consoles, I guess there is less pressure to get a completed console put in its place.

#6 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:30

So the Vita remote play was staged at gamescom?

#7 DPyro

DPyro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:35

How is this news? XBox 360 ran on an Apple G5 when they were first demoed. Seems like this is common now...

#8 Houtei

Houtei

Neowinian

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:44

Well I know its done all the time at E3 or before but it seems unheard of to still be using pcs this close to launch but maybe im wrong.

#9 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:51

not sure why its a concern.. they have a solid release date... its going to be ready.

#10 DPyro

DPyro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 August 2013 - 16:55

Well I know its done all the time at E3 or before but it seems unheard of to still be using pcs this close to launch but maybe im wrong.

The picture shown was an EA game shown at the EA booth. Not really Sony's fault if the developer chooses to demo their game using PC's. I'm pretty sure BF4 was shown on actual PS4 hardware.

#11 Houtei

Houtei

Neowinian

Posted 28 August 2013 - 17:00

The picture shown was an EA game shown at the EA booth. Not really Sony's fault if the developer chooses to demo their game using PC's. I'm pretty sure BF4 was shown on actual PS4 hardware.

Yeah I have seen that pic before but the IGN guy is talking about Gamescon from just the other day.  Not really big deal but interesting for some reason.

#12 Seketh

Seketh

Neowinian

Posted 28 August 2013 - 17:18

I find it quite amusing to see all the negative press Xbox One got for having a few demos running on PC's and in the end Microsoft was actually the one to have working hardware.

PS4 gets a free pass. Way to go mainstream media. You suck.

#13 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 28 August 2013 - 17:21

It's well known that both console manufacturers often use PC's and Dev kits to showcase things before the official release but i'm pretty sure this OP isn;t about that and more about the apparent lack of a real world actual PS4 demo.
I'm not particularly worried though, i'm Sony have crash tested the actual machine to the hind teeth as have MS.

#14 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 28 August 2013 - 17:23

I find it quite amusing to see all the negative press Xbox One got for having a few demos running on PC's and in the end Microsoft was actually the one to have working hardware.

I don't recall much negative press about it. Demoing on PC at e3 has been the norm for many years now. The e3 demo of Halo 2 was running on PC too.

But i do recall some fans saying One games were looking better than PS4 games and people telling them pretty much all the games were running on PC at e3 so it did not really matter.

We'll see when the real games hit the stores.

#15 Seketh

Seketh

Neowinian

Posted 28 August 2013 - 17:59

LaP, on 28 Aug 2013 - 18:23, said:

I don't recall much negative press about it. Demoing on PC at e3 has been the norm for many years now. The e3 demo of Halo 2 was running on PC too.

There was quite a lot in the tech blogs and gaming websites. The guys at Reddit and NeoGaf went batshit. Even here at Neowin, I tried telling people it was normal to use a PC and got a load of hostile replies...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!