Sony yet to show a functioning PS4 or a hands-on Remote Play demo

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet

He is Executive Editor of IGN

(Title is his original tweet, edited for length)

Not sure about the authenticity of this but relevant here,

playstation4_gamescom_windows71-pcgh.jpg

• Like 2

So he is claiming that at the booths they were PCs and not PS4s?

It's a known fact now that Sony didn't have any working PS4s at GamesCon, all were fake boxes and controller cables passed through them into something hidden below. It might be a devkit or a PC or whatever - nobody knows for sure.

Well I don't think this is a long term concern for consumers other than it might point to a bigger shortage at launch.  Unless we here about production issues such as part defects or something.

Its possible they had to divert all manufacturing towards launch units and decided to wait as long as possible to send any of those to shows, etc. 

If pcs can accurately demo these consoles, I guess there is less pressure to get a completed console put in its place.

Well I know its done all the time at E3 or before but it seems unheard of to still be using pcs this close to launch but maybe im wrong.

The picture shown was an EA game shown at the EA booth. Not really Sony's fault if the developer chooses to demo their game using PC's. I'm pretty sure BF4 was shown on actual PS4 hardware.

The picture shown was an EA game shown at the EA booth. Not really Sony's fault if the developer chooses to demo their game using PC's. I'm pretty sure BF4 was shown on actual PS4 hardware.

Yeah I have seen that pic before but the IGN guy is talking about Gamescon from just the other day.  Not really big deal but interesting for some reason.

I find it quite amusing to see all the negative press Xbox One got for having a few demos running on PC's and in the end Microsoft was actually the one to have working hardware.

PS4 gets a free pass. Way to go mainstream media. You suck.

• Like 3

It's well known that both console manufacturers often use PC's and Dev kits to showcase things before the official release but i'm pretty sure this OP isn;t about that and more about the apparent lack of a real world actual PS4 demo.

I'm not particularly worried though, i'm Sony have crash tested the actual machine to the hind teeth as have MS.

I find it quite amusing to see all the negative press Xbox One got for having a few demos running on PC's and in the end Microsoft was actually the one to have working hardware.

I don't recall much negative press about it. Demoing on PC at e3 has been the norm for many years now. The e3 demo of Halo 2 was running on PC too.

But i do recall some fans saying One games were looking better than PS4 games and people telling them pretty much all the games were running on PC at e3 so it did not really matter.

We'll see when the real games hit the stores.

LaP, on 28 Aug 2013 - 18:23, said:

I don't recall much negative press about it. Demoing on PC at e3 has been the norm for many years now. The e3 demo of Halo 2 was running on PC too.

There was quite a lot in the tech blogs and gaming websites. The guys at Reddit and NeoGaf went batshit. Even here at Neowin, I tried telling people it was normal to use a PC and got a load of hostile replies...

But i do recall some fans saying One games were looking better than PS4 games and people telling them pretty much all the games were running on PC at e3 so it did not really matter.

We'll see when the real games hit the stores.

There was a lot (even a Neowin FPN) and it was largely inaccurate (only 1 game Lococyle used PCs and the dev readily admitted to it). It is still referred as an evidence of XB1's weakness every now and then,

see this (and note the timestamps),

X1 demos were running on high powered PCs.

Here's the accusation,

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Games-E3-Were-Running-Windows-7-With-Nvidia-GTX-Cards-56737.html

Here's the response:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Microsoft-Says-Windows-7-Nvidia-GTX-PCs-E3-Were-Xbox-One-Dev-Kits-56834.html

There's also this 'games reporter' noting that some demo kiosks crashed to a standard-issue Windows desktop (like what you'd have on a PC) rather than what you'd get for a console running Windows 8. https://twitter.com/JazRignall/statuses/344967744808185857

One developer responded saying "We just didn't have time to make Xbox1-native versions so we just ran the PC version because we wanted to showcase our game."

-- so, what's the summary? --

We know for sure the demos weren't running all running on XBox One hardware. Some of it was explained to be running on 'pc hardware similar to an xbox one -- development kits' and that despite their considerably more powerful hardware, the machines should have performance similar to the shipping consumer version of the XBox One. Other demos just were the desktop PC version running on pretty good quality hardware because that's all the developer had to showcase.

Make of that what you will.

Nothing was blown out of proportion.

It's just that some people were religiously hurt when the news came out. Whether first party, second party or third party doesn't matter.

I just hope both consoles run games at slightly higher resolution than 720p at least.

Was there negative press and negative internet chatter regarding the X1 games being demoed on PCs  vs the PS4?  There sure was.

Is it a bad thing if a console's games are demoed on a pc?  Not if its an accurate display.

Basically, this is not an issue, but I get why some would like to point out the fact that the ps4 was also not showing everything on actual hardware.  The only 'issue' was the unfair way the topic has been portrayed.  This just illustrates the reality behind all the bs.

New gaming consoles in the modern era rely on PCs to demo content before a final retail kit is available.  Sony and MS are following that pattern.

Xbox-One-Games-at-E3-Ran-on-Windows-7-PC

Yes, both consoles had demos of content running on PCs.

I know there is some argument over how many X1 or PS4 demos were shown on pc units, but there is no denying that BOTH are doing it.

Oh and its not a bad thing.  It wasn't a bad thing when only the X1 was singled out and its not a bad thing now.  Next subject please.

• Like 2

This console war seems to be taking an interesting twist, I honestly hope they sort any problems they have prior to launch. I have yet to see anything from the PS4 that actually makes me want one.

Also to the guy posting PC pictures at X1 booths, how many times do people have to say it was only LocoCycle at E3 on a PC because it hadn't been ported over to the X1. Do people not take information which doesn't line up with their opinion?

This is so laughable... As it has been stated many times over, a TON of demos are done on PC's closely spec'd to the console they will be ported over to.

I guess people feel good about their gif's and crap like that...

Games will be fine on both the Xbox One and PS4.  People really want the 'gaming' aspect to more that what it will be I guess...

Indies want so desperately to be the determining factor this generation, but I can almost see them being in the same role, they were this generation (no a bad thing.  but will not be bigger than what they think)....

All the other GOODIES outside of gaming, and how they enhance gaming and such will get peoples attention.

How is this news? XBox 360 ran on an Apple G5 when they were first demoed. Seems like this is common now...

First demoed wasn't 3 months before  release though ;)

There were definitely games running on Xbox One hardware at GamesCom. I played many of them, like Killer Instinct and Peggle 2 for example.

And the PS4 even won the best console at GamesCom award, what a scam.

The XB1 will be that good.

And people are trying really hard to get MS to fail...

Microsoft always seem to be 3 steps ahead (though MS sucks at explaining their forward thinking) and people are trying like nuts to trip them up.

• Like 2

Microsoft always seem to be 3 steps ahead (though MS sucks at explaining their forward thinking) and people are trying like nuts to trip them up.

All things being equal, then wouldn't they have released their new console last year? Being that the 360 came out a year before the PS3.