android windows phone

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#31 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:41

I recommend trying new launchers. A launcher is like a new homescreen, a UI replacement basically. Some launchers to try are Nova Launcher and Smart Launcher. I love Smart Launcher.

I use Nova Launcher and love it. It helps extend my battery life by several hours. I heartily recommend everyone trying out new launchers.

#32 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:43

I use Nova Launcher and love it. It helps extend my battery life by several hours. I heartily recommend everyone trying out new launchers.

I use APEX myself.  Tried several but found APEX to work best for me.

#33 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:45

Using Chameleon Launcher on my phone and Android tablet... but I kind of grew a fondness of tiles from my work phone. Convenient if you're into that sort of thing (and don't like widgets) but it's not lightweight.

#34 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:57

Neobond, on 29 Aug 2013 - 13:13, said:

TBH I'm pretty ****ed I spent €150 on a Lumia 520 only to find out the Nexus 4 is only €199 now lol, oh well.

Doh what were you thinking mate :) Ebay that bad boy and come over to Android :)

to OP apps I cant live without on `droid are:

ES File explorer, nothing quite like it for accessing my NAS content and streaming movies, music and photos to all my `droid devices. Think of it like Windows explorer but with media playing abilities built in.

InSSIDer is also very handy for checking wifi channels and ensuring no overlapping channels from neighbours.

Battlelog (if your a BF3 player)

Sophos Mobile protection (Android AV and mobile finder if lost)

Google Sky Map

Dolphin Browser

XBMC Android port (Xbox Media Center)

#35 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:14

ES File explorer, nothing quite like it for accessing my NAS content and streaming movies, music and photos to all my `droid devices. Think of it like Windows explorer but with media playing abilities built in.

Great app.  Another feature is you can add cloud storage accounts there as well.  I have SkyDrive, Drive, and Dropbox  setup via ES File Explorer.  No need to have a separate app installed for each.

#36 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:18

I find the stock ROM of my Nexus4 to be perfectly fine. 

Nothing wrong with flashing something else, but I don't think it's a must on this device.

You can keep the stock ROM and still root the phone to add more functionality to the device.  Root doesnt over right the stock rom and unrooting will make it like it was out of box.

#37 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Neowinian Antique

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:18

Doh what were you thinking mate :) Ebay that bad boy and come over to Android :)

to OP apps I cant live without on `droid are:

InSSIDer is also very handy for checking wifi channels and ensuring no overlapping channels from neighbours.

Battlelog (if your a BF3 player)

Sophos Mobile protection (Android AV and mobile finder if lost)

Google Sky Map

Dolphin Browser

XBMC Android port (Xbox Media Center)

All excellent recommendations! Makes me miss my droid even more...stuck on an iPhone 3gs. :(

#38 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:34

Umm...didn't Nokia launch 515 just for you? :p

http://www.nokia.com...ducts/phone/515

Nokia-515-jpg.jpg

I know you were mostly joking when you posted that, but that is actually quite a nice looking phone

I like the features too

#39 Grinch

Grinch

Developer

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:45

I know you were mostly joking when you posted that, but that is actually quite a nice looking phone

I like the features too

For what it is, it does look nice. No denying that.

#40 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:47

Choose wisely: 700,000 high risk apps are waiting for you in the Play Store.

This is an out and out lie.  That report was based on counterfeit versions of legitimate apps found OUTSIDE of the Play store.

Stick to the Play store and everything's fine.

#41 Josh_LosAltosHills

Josh_LosAltosHills

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5. Waiting on New Nokia Phones

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:02

For the OP if you have a Nexus 4 I am probably the only person who would say you shouldnt root/custom rom. I made the switch from WindowsPhone (nokia 920) to htc one about 2.5 months ago. The only gripe I have is the updates. With a nexus you get updates straight from google when they release, I would kill for that even tho I purchased a unlocked HTC One Im still tied to AT&T for updates. If I want to give my phone something different I just use Nova launcher to change the look. Since I did that I dont feel the need to load a custom rom. If I get the new Nexus I'll probably load a launcher and forget rooting.

#42 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 5 16 GB

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:38

For the OP if you have a Nexus 4 I am probably the only person who would say you shouldnt root/custom rom. I made the switch from WindowsPhone (nokia 920) to htc one about 2.5 months ago. The only gripe I have is the updates. With a nexus you get updates straight from google when they release, I would kill for that even tho I purchased a unlocked HTC One Im still tied to AT&T for updates. If I want to give my phone something different I just use Nova launcher to change the look. Since I did that I dont feel the need to load a custom rom. If I get the new Nexus I'll probably load a launcher and forget rooting.

If you don't want Sense, you can convert your HTC One into a Google Play edition, and you'll get your updates much faster. A launcher doesn't do any justice - all you're doing is masking it. You still have Sense processes in the background...Personally I like Sense, and haven't found a reason to root/ROM the ATT HTC One. 

#43 Kenny Kanashimi Chu

Kenny Kanashimi Chu

Neowinian

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:13

Even if you're not hacking (in another word, advanced user), xda-developer are still a good site even for new comers. So go and check it out!  :)

#44 5150III

5150III

Neowinian

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:52

Good choice. WP is a joke.

#45 OP acido00

acido00

Neowinian

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:05

Sounds like I'll skip then a custom ROM and keep the original one, but I'll install a launcher so I have more personalization. Got it.

btw, I saw that some people has some amazing backgrounds with "motion", how Android handle that? should I download an app to download those or any source I can go and download directly?

Thanks for all comments they are really helping me to this transition...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!