• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#46 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:18

What did we do before smartphones?

I love smart phones and I want one, but Verizon is killing me.  $30 more for a data plan that I simply don't want.  I just want WiFi.

So while all you guys complain about smartphones, be gentle to us that don't have Smartphones.  It's just too expensive for my tastes.

I have a regular non smart phone that has a slide-out keyboard and it's made by "Samsung" and I have static apps (non upgradable),

but I can't install beyond what they have on the phone.

I personally think some of you guys are spoiled.

#47 sbasil

sbasil

Neowinian

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:47

Heh, I made the reverse choice that the OP did, switching from Android (Galaxy S3) to WP (Nokia Lumia 925). Happy so far.

Either way, best rom I can suggest for Android is CyanogenMod. That's just me though. You should also keep an eye on Ubuntu Touch.

That's exactly what my gf did and what I'm planning to do too (she switched her S3 to Lumia 925, I'll do the same with my Galaxy Note 1). No matter which OS you use, you'll end up wanting something new or different. Well, at least I do, but what do I know - I'm a nerd. :rofl:  

That being said, you really can't go much wrong with Android. It has all the apps you need, it's a pretty mature OS etc.  Like someone said before, XDA is your friend. Another good place for hints and tips is Modaco. There are loads and loads of different roms (at XDA) to choose from (I liked Paranoidandroid  very much, but always ended up coming back to the stock rom, but it's fun as long as you don't brick your phone and turn it into  an expensive paperweight). :)

Must apps (a few of them) that I have on my Note are:  Whatsapp, Spotify, Netflix, OneNote, SkyDrive, CallerInfo, Sports Tracker, Flipboard & Zite, Swype&Swiftkey (can't make up my mind which one is better, both are better than Note's stock kb which is r-e-a-l-l-y laggy...but I'm sure that you won't have that problem as your phone has better hw...Even though  it's a bit funny how a 1,4 GHz dual-core cpu can't cope  with the stock keyboard properly....I guess It's a h-e-a-v-y OS = it's like a train equipped with Porsche 911's engine...but now they've moved on to using jet engines, so no more troubles there).  :shifty:

Anyway, good luck with your new phone. I'm sure you'll like it!  :)

#48 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:32

What did we do before smartphones?

I love smart phones and I want one, but Verizon is killing me.  $30 more for a data plan that I simply don't want.  I just want WiFi.

So while all you guys complain about smartphones, be gentle to us that don't have Smartphones.  It's just too expensive for my tastes.

I have a regular non smart phone that has a slide-out keyboard and it's made by "Samsung" and I have static apps (non upgradable),

but I can't install beyond what they have on the phone.

I personally think some of you guys are spoiled.

Jealous much?

This will honk you off nicely then.  I have, sitting on my shelf, gathering dust, 21 smartphones and 3 tablets, on top of the THREE "superphones" I'm using atm, and another tablet my wife's using.

Ah, the joys of field testing for a large phone manufacturer. ;)

Incidentally, American cellphone contracts suck. They bleed you buggers dry and you LET them.  We've never tolerate crap like charging you to receive calls or texts over here...

#49 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 05 September 2013 - 15:33

btw, I saw that some people has some amazing backgrounds with "motion", how Android handle that? should I download an app to download those or any source I can go and download directly?

Those are called Live Wallpapers. There's loads of them on the Play store, many of them free.

They suck battery though.

#50 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:33

This will honk you off nicely then.  I have, sitting on my shelf, gathering dust, 21 smartphones and 3 tablets, on top of the THREE "superphones" I'm using atm, and another tablet my wife's using.

Ah, the joys of field testing for a large phone manufacturer. ;)

How might one go about getting a job with you? :D

#51 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:41

How might one go about getting a job with you? :D

You have to convert a theist into atheism! :p

#52 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:43

You have to convert a theist into atheism! :p

Then someone owes me at least three jobs

#53 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:44

Then someone owes me at least three jobs

And briiiinnng meeeeee... A SHRUBBERY!

#54 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 05 September 2013 - 16:46

hahahaha

Monty Phyton is the best thing you guys have made

#55 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:15

Knights Who Say Ni!!  One of my fav Monty Python movies.  :)

#56 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:44

That's what I should be doing, testing phones, not servers.

Welcome to Android acido00. It sounds like everyone has gotten you squared away so far. Like they said, we have a thread for suggested apps, try them yourself, add your own, etc. Winamp is an option if you want more of an iTunes type wireless sync. I personally prefer to stream the majority of my music with Google Play Music, but there are some albums I keep on the phone sometimes. Poweramp is my favorite audiophile lover's media player for local media if I'm not streaming.

You don't really need a custom launcher unless you find something you want from one that you don't have. You have AOSP already so there isn't TouchWiz or Sense to avoid, but there are a few others that add a little while keeping the AOSP styling. Personally I'm running the plain Google Edition AOSP launcher on my phone right now and am very happy with it as is. Actually, for being someone that flashes new roms, kernels, and tries alternatives apps fairly frequently, I really haven't done a damn thing to modify my phone since I installed Google Edition. I haven't even flashed a custom kernel to get the htc logo as a button which was a big thing when I first got this phone. Stock Android has just gotten so good it doesn't really need much else.

On a side note, I love how upset the Windows Phone fanboys get when someone dares say they switched to Android. You guys are pathetic sometimes. :laugh:

#57 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:51

Many of you may like my WP Review from an Android Dev.. In the past 5 years, I have owned over 30 different smart phones.. Still prefer Android over WP and iOS.. But, I didn't give WP enough credit until recently..

http://www.neowin.ne...an-android-dev/

#58 DarkNet

DarkNet

Neowinian

Posted 05 September 2013 - 18:59

If you ahve a Google+ account (and you really should), your photos will automatically sync. You can keep albums upon albums in Google+ and see them in the Gallery App on your phone. Not a single photo needs to be on your device. It is also good because any photo's you take will automatically be backed up to a private album.

Second, You'll notice you have Google Music on your phone. Well, you can match your music on your computer (or upload) it to music.google.com. It's entirely free up to 20K songs.

Third, any photos you have on Google Drive can be shared with Google+ privately.

So far everything I have mentioned is cloud based.

As for anything you should know, well that is a loaded question. But I can give you a quick hint, the bottom button that looks like 2 rectangles, if you press that, it will show you what apps are running. If you swipe them away, it will close them. iOS 7 is moving towards that design. Another hint I will give you, if you swipe up from the Home Button, it will launch Google Now. Activate it on your device and use. It is one of Android's selling features.

Ignore any ignorant comments about rooting and unlocking your device. This is something you should do on your own if you want to experiment. But don't have someone do it for you and don't do it for the sake of doing it.

#59 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:08

Many of you may like my WP Review from an Android Dev.. In the past 5 years, I have owned over 30 different smart phones.. Still prefer Android over WP and iOS.. But, I didn't give WP enough credit until recently..

http://www.neowin.ne...an-android-dev/

It's funny, I used to give Windows Phone more credit than I do now. At first it was like "Oh, that's decent, they're on their way to something", and now a couple years later the UI is still awful, use and navigation of the OS is cumbersome, the store is expanding, but still missing A LOT, the phones themselves are good though. Looks like your review is mostly positive on the actual phone hardware and not focused much on the software, which is where Windows Phone lacks right now. I've got nothing against Windows Phone, though I find myself being turned off of it more from the sheer number of rabid fanboys here being so obnoxious. Remember when iPhone fan boys were the annoying ones? I would have considered putting WP ahead of iOS in my suggestions for people looking for a simple to use phone, but it hasn't matured as much as I had hoped still, though granted it probably won't for a while since I find most of my issues to be with the UI itself.

#60 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 05 September 2013 - 19:43

It's funny, I used to give Windows Phone more credit than I do now. At first it was like "Oh, that's decent, they're on their way to something", and now a couple years later the UI is still awful, use and navigation of the OS is cumbersome, the store is expanding, but still missing A LOT, the phones themselves are good though. Looks like your review is mostly positive on the actual phone hardware and not focused much on the software, which is where Windows Phone lacks right now. I've got nothing against Windows Phone, though I find myself being turned off of it more from the sheer number of rabid fanboys here being so obnoxious. Remember when iPhone fan boys were the annoying ones? I would have considered putting WP ahead of iOS in my suggestions for people looking for a simple to use phone, but it hasn't matured as much as I had hoped still, though granted it probably won't for a while since I find most of my issues to be with the UI itself.

I agree with everything you just said. I was quite amazed with the hardware.. but the OS still lacks A LOT.. Android lacked a lot with stability for a while and finally got one the right track around 2.2..  iOS never really matured IMO.. The new iOS 7 is the same damn thing but with colors IMO.. I will stick with my GS4 for now.. but I kinda want to test out a Luima 1020