Good Windows laptop for about $500?

windows laptop college $500

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:27

My my... I'll go for an AMD APU, but that's just me... and no tablet. a keyboard is always a necessity for any student.

#17 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:31

My my... I'll go for an AMD APU, but that's just me... and no tablet. a keyboard is always a necessity for any student.

Why get that when an i5 is well within the budget?

#18 OP Sszecret

Sszecret

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 29 August 2013 - 20:08

Thank you all for the responses. Some really interesting suggestions here, especially that Asus 15.6''. 

She said that 11'' is a bit too small, so I would think a tablet is out of question (are there any 13-14 inch ones out there? I know there's a 20'' Panasonic one, but that's just ridiculous). 

#19 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 August 2013 - 20:23

surface rt. its $350,and if you're a student, you save 10%,so you're down to $315. then add the type cover keyboard for $130, you're now at $445,and Microsoft Office is included. 8-10 hours battery life. thats an incredible deal.

#20 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 29 August 2013 - 20:45

Late to the party, but here's something very key to remember: buy business class! It barely matters what brand you choose, the consumer lineups all suck, but the business class laptops are pretty much all decent across the board. Dell for example has a bunch for <$500, I really quite like their recent design style http://www.dell.com/...96~0~839326&p=1

#21 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 August 2013 - 22:46

Are touchscreen laptops in his budget?

Touchscreen laptops aren't in anyone's budget when you could spend the money spent on the touch screen on something useful instead like more RAM, bigger HDD, etc.

#22 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 August 2013 - 23:30

Touchscreen laptops aren't in anyone's budget when you could spend the money spent on the touch screen on something useful instead like more RAM, bigger HDD, etc.

says someone who's never used one.

#23 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 August 2013 - 23:34

Coming from someone who has used one, I agree with him.

That touchscreen isn't going to make your laptop run smoother/faster.  It isn't going to increase your storage.  It is going to be this cool gimmick that lasts a week until you are fed up with the smudges on the screen and are bored with it.  Then you find yourself wishing you had more ram to make the stuttering pos run better, or a little bit more storage for your music/etc.

If you are on a budget, consider the core things first, and focus less on gimmicky items that may, or may not hold long term value.

#24 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 August 2013 - 23:36

If you want to consume get a tablet

if you want to produce get a laptop

#25 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 29 August 2013 - 23:36

My laptop was less than $350 (Core i3 3217U, 4GB RAM, 11.6" screen), and has it. I don't use the touch screen at all, even though it has Windows 8. I just hate fingerprints, and I like keyboard/mouse better. 

#26 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 August 2013 - 23:50

If you want to consume get a tablet

if you want to produce get a laptop

That's the best way to put it, really. A tablet is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion in place of a laptop for college.

#27 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 29 August 2013 - 23:54

That's the best way to put it, really. A tablet is an absolutely ridiculous suggestion in place of a laptop for college.

Absolutely, this is what I was trying to say earlier, but certain people are insistent on tablets. I think tablets complement laptops/desktops, but should not be used in college as a lone device. If you have ever tried typing something of length on a tablet, you will instantly regret it and wish you had a real keyboard (not to mention the other benefits of having a laptop vs. tablet)

#28 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 August 2013 - 00:01

Coming from someone who has used one, I agree with him.

That touchscreen isn't going to make your laptop run smoother/faster.  It isn't going to increase your storage.  It is going to be this cool gimmick that lasts a week until you are fed up with the smudges on the screen and are bored with it.  Then you find yourself wishing you had more ram to make the stuttering pos run better, or a little bit more storage for your music/etc.

If you are on a budget, consider the core things first, and focus less on gimmicky items that may, or may not hold long term value.

i don't know what kind of screen your laptop has, but i've never had significant smudging issues on my tablet PCs. perhaps you've never had the chance of adapting to having a touchscreen available. I rarely use the touchpad. mostly touch + stylus. works sooo much better than a little touchpad for most things. (but of course, my tablet PC also wasn't a budget computer, I paid a premium for the functionality)

#29 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 August 2013 - 00:58

i don't know what kind of screen your laptop has, but i've never had significant smudging issues on my tablet PCs. perhaps you've never had the chance of adapting to having a touchscreen available. I rarely use the touchpad. mostly touch + stylus. works sooo much better than a little touchpad for most things. (but of course, my tablet PC also wasn't a budget computer, I paid a premium for the functionality)

n1z2.jpg

#30 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:56

i want to lick that screen.