west virginia bank address no phone call taken to dump

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

• 4,551 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 14:20

So sick of hearing these stories. Banks should not be allowed to toss out someone's belongings. Yes they own the house, but not everything in it. They should be able to remove the items but they don't own them. But of course our politicians would rather litigate the smallest of things before anything that could impact innocent people's lives.

This is not to mention the massive scale on which stories like this are occurring. All because of not enough regulation and accountability. Just makes me sick.

This. Even if it were a legitimate foreclosure, it's only repossessing the house, not the things inside. How are they allowed to throw away people's possessions? That's the stupidest part here. If the things had just been taken someplace and stored, this would be a lot easier to sort out. She'd still be due some compensation, but not nearly as much, it wouldn't be as bad. I don't see how taking someone's things is legal in any capacity.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 21,633 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 29 August 2013 - 16:56

Repo men/women do the most disgusting and bottom of the barrel jobs a human being could do. It makes me sick they get paid to ruin peoples lives.

Actually they don't ruin people's lives, people ruin their own lives b taking to much credit and not paying.

Of course in this case it's different.

Over here, the police have to be involved in any repossession anyway though, and it's not really done b private companies but by a special police/customs department. Ad it's not so easy that the bank can just say "go repossess at this address" it takes a lot of time and paperwork before the police are sent on a repossession job here.

#18 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 16:59

Repo men/women do the most disgusting and bottom of the barrel jobs a human being could do. It makes me sick they get paid to ruin peoples lives.

I don't have a problem with that they do as long as they have the right address (the bank is at fault in this case).

People who finance cars, boats, TVs, etc. and stop paying for them are the real scumbags. At that point the repo men are just recovering stolen property.

#19 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,162 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:10

I've often wondered if what they do is legal. Do they actually have a legal right to come on someone's property and snatch stuff that doesn't belong to them because a big company pays them to do so? It seems to me the proper way is through the legal system. 

Yes because it is the banks property until all money is paid so if the bank gives someone permission they can do what they like. As for the stuff inside, you sign an agreement which lets them take whatever they like so they can get the money they are owed. Of course if they go to the wrong house they should be held accountable.

#20 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,432 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:14

I don't have a problem with that they do as long as they have the right address (the bank is at fault in this case).

People who finance cars, boats, TVs, etc. and stop paying for them are the real scumbags. At that point the repo men are just recovering stolen property.

Don't write everyone off as scumbags.

I was grossing 6 figures a year a while back.  Then the real estate market went bust.  I dropped down to 19k a year.  We lost our house, our cars, and a lot of other things.

Does that make me a scumbag, or an unfortunate casualty of a bad economy?

#21 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:20

Its an unfortunate circumstance and it doesn't make you a bad person, but you still can't keep things you haven't paid for.

#22 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,432 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 17:23

Its an unfortunate circumstance and it doesn't make you a bad person, but you still can't keep things you haven't paid for.

Oh I agree.  I am just saying, there are different circumstances for everyone.  I stopped paying because I didn't have a choice. 

It was food in my daughter's belly or pay creditors.

#23 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 18:06

Yes because it is the banks property until all money is paid so if the bank gives someone permission they can do what they like. As for the stuff inside, you sign an agreement which lets them take whatever they like so they can get the money they are owed. Of course if they go to the wrong house they should be held accountable.

If I rent an apartment, it is not mine but I do have certain rights. The same should apply here.I don't think people would have near the issue with this (at least I wouldn't) if they would at least go before a judge and get him to sign a court order giving the banks the right to kick the current users out.

#24 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,162 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 18:14

If I rent an apartment, it is not mine but I do have certain rights. The same should apply here.I don't think people would have near the issue with this (at least I wouldn't) if they would at least go before a judge and get him to sign a court order giving the banks the right to kick the current users out.

Why do you need a court order?? That is just adding more paperwork and time. A contract serves the same purpose, you sign it knowing exactly what will happen if you do not keep up to payments.

I really don't see any problem in kicking people out when they know exactly what will happen. :/

#25 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 18:16

First off, the bank should be fully liable for all the lost items and then some since some hold no monetary value but are still valuable, such as a high school diploma. The repo company is in no way responsible for the actions leading to the house reposition or what they did afterwards in that regards.

My question is, is the law different there? Here, if your home is reprocessed, you loss all access to it and any belongs inside, however not permanently. Either the repo company hires a movie company or it does it themselves, but they are required to move everything out of the house and into a storage unit. If the owners want their stuff back, they have to pay the storage unit costs and moving costs. This is because you usually have an idea your home is getting repo'd when the bank gives the notice a few days/weeks in advance which amounts to "you lost your home get your ###### out or we will do it and you pay the bill." Why was the repo company selling items? They aren't there items to sell. They get paid to do the repo and nothing more. Repo companies make their money from the company needing the repo, in this case the bank, and deals with moving companies and storage units for finding them work. Unless a contract for a home loan says that it is backed by the house AND everything in as collateral, nobody except the owner of the items have any right to those items.

#26 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 18:17

Why do you need a court order?? That is just adding more paperwork and time. A contract serves the same purpose, you sign it knowing exactly what will happen if you do not keep up to payments.

I really don't see any problem in kicking people out when they know exactly what will happen. :/

The bank should be notifying the occupants before kicking them out. Even apartments here are required to give a few days notice to allow people to get their crap out. If they don't, it goes to a storage unit and you pay the fees for the moving and unit to get your stuff back. The bank made a paper screw up but something is fishy about this repo company selling peoples items that they don't even have a right to sell.

#27 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:07

The bank should be notifying the occupants before kicking them out. Even apartments here are required to give a few days notice to allow people to get their crap out. If they don't, it goes to a storage unit and you pay the fees for the moving and unit to get your stuff back. The bank made a paper screw up but something is fishy about this repo company selling peoples items that they don't even have a right to sell.

I would be okay with that. As long as it's done halfway right.

#28 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,432 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:08

Here, they don't call you (well I guess they do, trying to collect).  Their notice of repossession is a slip taped on your front door.

#29 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 8,001 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:16

I've often wondered if what they do is legal. Do they actually have a legal right to come on someone's property and snatch stuff that doesn't belong to them because a big company pays them to do so? It seems to me the proper way is through the legal system. 

The bank owns the house.  Therefore the bank is allowed to remove whatever they want.

It is the exact same premise as.. if you buy a house.  If the owner hasn't removed all of their belongings.. they are now yours to do with as you please.

#30 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 2,432 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 19:21

The bank owns the house.  Therefore the bank is allowed to remove whatever they want.

It is the exact same premise as.. if you buy a house.  If the owner hasn't removed all of their belongings.. they are now yours to do with as you please.

Remove maybe.  Dispose of?  No.