25 posts in this topic

Posted

Like many mothers, Rajeshwari Karnan was delighted when she gave birth to a son. The 23-year-old farm labourer and her husband, Karnan Perumal, 26, already had a two-year-old daughter, but like many in the state of Tamil Nadu, they considered a boy a particular blessing.

So when Rahul arrived in May, they were especially delighted.

However, just over a week later, their joy turned to misery.

One afternoon, says Rajeshwari, she was washing her daughter when she suddenly heard Rahul screaming from inside the hut. She ran towards him, but before she could get there, a neighbour shouted to her the words she will never forget:

Posted

But the doctors are now considering whether baby Rahul is a victim of one of the strangest and most mysterious of phenomena said to affect the body

Posted

Flame on!!! Its a hidden gift the parents dont know about...

Posted

I don't know if the Mythbusters could air that episode.

3 people like this

Posted

I can't wait until the kooky science-skeptics come out and claim the baby was smoking in bed after a night of drinking. :laugh: :rofl:

Posted

At title i was ... lolssssssss
At story i was like... Ohhhhh
At picture i wa slike... "poor little sh**"

There's not been a modern day report of spontaneous human combustion and you know why? Because it's to hard to fake in modern times. Far more than it was back when it was 'fashionable'.
"acetone infuses itself well into human fat. And

Posted

At title i was ... lolssssssss
At story i was like... Ohhhhh
At picture i wa slike... "poor little sh**"

There's not been a modern day report of spontaneous human combustion and you know why? Because it's to hard to fake in modern times. Far more than it was back when it was 'fashionable'.
"acetone infuses itself well into human fat. And

1 person likes this

Posted

> Is it really possible for a baby to burst suddenly into flames? And if so, how on earth does it happen

Posted

S they ruled out the parents faking it because no parents would be crazy enough to set their child on fire...

Errr yeah... Except crazy people aren't only that crazy they can beat lot more crazy than that.

This could be anything from Munchausen to psycho paranoid parents.

Posted

Why?  Because you're wrong.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/8783929/Irish-pensioner-died-of-spontaneous-human-combustion.html

I'm not convinced it's completely natural either but there have been reports in recent years. I've read them here on Neowin most likely from Hum.

Well **** me i am worng.
Cheers chaps.

It's always fascinated me, i just didn't realise there was any modern day examples.

Posted

It's always fascinated me, i just didn't realise there was any modern day examples.

I watched a documentary (BBC show called QED) as a kid, it explained some possible reasons and then debunked them.  One being ball lightning.  Scared the living hell outta me ;)

Edit:

Believe this is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX2bF1YKL8Y

1 person likes this

Posted

I watched a documentary (BBC show called QED) as a kid, it explained some possible reasons and then debunked them.  One being ball lightning.  Scared the living hell outta me ;)

Edit:

Believe this is it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX2bF1YKL8Y

Oh jesus i remember that program!
I was a kid at the time and freaked me the hell out. I was adamant it was going to happen to me in my sleep lol

Posted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0tai7aOndg

Posted

keep the kid in hospital for its own safety, with full time camera observation, then we'll see it's unaided.

5 people like this

Posted

Cool video.

Apparently that is the same narrator as in A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Moon documentary. (also on YouTube)

Arthur C. Clarke covered many of the same stories on his Mysterious World.

Posted

what did they use to have light in their hut? what do they use to cook ? I think the explanation is probably easier then people think.

Posted

SHC has been examined many many times, and pretty much always demonstrated as something like a 'human candle' type effect. It's a telling fact that in almost every circumstance there is an open flame/source of ignition of some sort in the room. That has in fact been demonstrated under controlled circumstances with pig carcasses. That is not to say that that explanation is the only one however. But no-one has ever explained how a body can just ignite by itself - not saying it can't, just saying that to my knowledge no-one has demonstrated it can.

Unfortunately, in this instance however, I'm going to plump for the simpler explanation. Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy. It's much more likely that the parents are abusing their child to get attention than the child is just bursting into flames. 

Posted

Unfortunately, in this instance however, I'm going to plump for the simpler explanation. Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy. It's much more likely that the parents are abusing their child to get attention than the child is just bursting into flames. 

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the article.  That child needs to be urgently removed from his parents "care" before they kill him.

Posted

Wow.  I've never heard of such a thing (And I'm really not sure I believe in it)...

I'm not sure what to think...

Posted

Exactly what I was thinking when I read the article.  That child needs to be urgently removed from his parents "care" before they kill him.

Even by some weird happen chance that the parents aren't abusing him, he needs to be removed to figure what exactly what is happening.

2 people like this

Posted

I think the explanation is probably easier then people think.

If it was, this would have never made the News. ;)

Posted

If it was, this would have never made the News. ;)

Hi, welcome, you must be new to the world. 

Posted

The fact that the doctors are considering SHC, shows that the kid needs better doctors as well.

Posted

No doubt about it!!