what linux to go for

back with the 64 bit version. maybe i am too drunk today to get anything really done :(

i still have no clue how to run the poker-th version. installer wont start at all and trying to run the standalone version it says  ./pokerth: error while loading shared libraries: libidn.so.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

no clue :(

Bro, do you even google?

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=.%2Fpokerth%3A+error+while+loading+shared+libraries%3A+libidn.so.11&oq=.%2Fpokerth%3A+error+while+loading+shared+libraries%3A+libidn.so.11&aqs=chrome..69i57.108j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

easy to fix 

Depending on your system- 

OPEN SUSE

http://en.opensuse.org/Features

This release delivers proper UEFI support for x86_64 hardware and experimental support for Secure Boot enabled hardware. 

KDE ABOVE- XFCE BELOW

I forgot how nice KDE can look, i defo need to give it a try again

Sorry to hear that but it does happen.

A very good distro. You can't go wrong there. :)

I love the look of Manjaro

I am sure there was a reason i did not stick with it and i cant remember why

I have a spare laptop here so will prob install it and have a play

EXT4 is fine for nearly everything, no reason to go do special stuff with the others. Elementary is all about good defaults, if you're not sure just leave it on the default settings.

I agree. I always use EXT4 and have never had any problems.

i am still amazed how good linux can look these days. any way to add custom shortcuts to the launchbar and dock? 

Haven't had much time to play fully yet but ElementaryOS impressed me from what chance I had to play with it. It's something reasonably different in the Linux world, well worth trying IMO

Ditto that about EXT4.. it had it's quirks at first when it was new (to be expected), but I don't recall ever running into any issues with it in the past few years. Probably the only time I might consider something else is in very specific situations that may need snapshot support and the like.

Have you tried it? I tried booting it from an USB and I couldn't get it to boot. I may burn a DVD and try again. :)

yes, I'm using it in a box @ work. Works great! try creating the USB with dd

I have Linux Mint 15 on my computer at home (upgraded from 14 even though they don't "support" upgrades, no issues), though I've been playing with elementary Luna on one of my systems at work. I'm close to switching to elementary OS at home as well, but I've been holding off a little while still. It is VERY new and lacks some options at the moment. I'm certain this will get better with time, but do be aware of that using it right now. For the most part though, it hasn't had any issues running just about anything I wanted to on it. My system at home is my HTPC as well, so I'm a little more hesitant to go throwing something new on there until I'm sure it works well. Linux Mint 15 has been working well enough that I've had no reason to move from it at the moment. I enjoy Cinnamon as a UI, but I like the sleek look of Pantheon as well, perhaps more.

So either way, those would probably be my top two choices. One may say that they are also both "easier" distros to use than others, or even label them newbie distros to which I scoff at. I work with enterprise level servers and OSes all day at work doing QA. I don't want to have to do the same with my home computer. I just want it to be simple and work, and looking good while doing so never hurts, which is why I like these two choices.

RE: BTRFS.

BTRFS should, in theory when completed, be better than EXT4 for realiability and speed (long term that is as it can be defragmented on the fly whilst mounted which EXT4 cannot), but right now it's still in beta and hasn't had it's long term stability tested nor the recovery tools. Personally I've had it running on an arch linux server since kernel 3.2 or 3.3 and it's ran fine and fast without problem, but each use-case is individual.

• Like 2

about the default calendar integrated in elementary os:

- is there any way to sync it with google calendar? i have added a google calendar plugin to my thunderbird mail, but if i could get this synced it would be perfect. 

about the default calendar integrated in elementary os:

- is there any way to sync it with google calendar? i have added a google calendar plugin to my thunderbird mail, but if i could get this synced it would be perfect. 

actually the integration for this is ready but will be released only in the new version of the OS (GTK issues, so they are porting everything to 3.10)

Elementary OS might be, right now, the most interesting distro.

I agree the interface is nice but what makes it even more compelling is the Ubuntu underneath. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe the Ubuntu base is the best out there right now.

I agree the interface is nice but what makes it even more compelling is the Ubuntu underneath. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I believe the Ubuntu base is the best out there right now.

I agree. Despite all the flak Ubuntu/Debian might be the standardization Linux urgently needs.

yes, I'm using it in a box @ work. Works great! try creating the USB with dd

It didn't like my computer, sadly. Always booted into a black screen, even with a LiveCD. I seem to be not much of an Arch guy after all because Manjaro got annoying really quick. I am using LXLE (based on Lubuntu 12.04.3) and am very happy with it.