Photo
windows 8.1 rtm

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

Poll: Windows 8.1 RTM

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Would you install Leaked Windows 8.1 RTM and use it as everyday OS?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:20

Wish I could vote twice on this one.

I did vote yes or already did, but I'd love to vote Hate Windows 8 also!! :x

#77 Klownicle

Klownicle

I get a custom title? Sweett.

Posted 08 September 2013 - 18:02

With the addition of the start button and improved start screen, YES.

I have already updated my Surface Pro (clean install) and updated my main w7 tower to w8.1 (also clean).  I would never do a upgrade install as its too dirty.  Both devices also have Windows Media Center and are working flawlessly.  The only error was with Windows Media Center's Digital Cable Advisor tool doesn't function.  It didn't make a difference as the wizard still completed and allowed me to watch cable TV without issue.

That being said, its RTM why wouldn't you use it, WZT's releases have never been tampered with before and I doubt they will be.  You all can wait happily :)

Interesting to know, the 8.1 includes newer Intel RST drivers than Asus offered for my mainboard Max V Gene.

#78 OP badb0y

badb0y

I'm Bad!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 09 September 2013 - 00:35

So basically more people have installed/ willing to install/ will install before official release.... :)

#79 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:03

Apparently, some software only works correctly post-upgrade (in short, upgrade the OS, then install the software) - the DCUO bug is only reproduced by installing the game before upgrading the OS.  (It does not happen when installed either after upgrading, or after a clean install.)  However, this is the only third-party software that I ran on Windows 8 this applies to.

Therefore, this bug has been reduced to a quibble.

#80 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:06

Installed the 8.1 RTM and activated with my 8.0 key.  Working great so far.

I'm still not a fan of Windows 8.x on the desktop, but they did make a couple of change that makes it livable.

But my main computer is still my iMac...

#81 OP badb0y

badb0y

I'm Bad!

Posted 09 September 2013 - 19:58

So MS officially made Win 8.1 available on MSDN/ Technet. SHA matches with all those leaked :D

#82 greenwizard88

greenwizard88

Neowinian Senior

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:13

I just want this year to be over, I am very impatient.

So I'll just wait, just like I'm waiting for everything else (Windows Phone 8.1, PS4, this app to be released...)

#83 OrsenPike

OrsenPike

Neowinian

Posted 09 September 2013 - 20:18

I fired it up on a second machine but there were some issues with apps and the add windows features (kept erroring trying to install .NET 3.5, had to manually install with dism) so I am holding off until MS get these things sorted with the day 1 patch. I am still running 7 on my main machine anyway so not a big deal. Now the images are on MSDN though it is good to know the leaked ISO is legit (the hashes match).

#84 cropcircles

cropcircles

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:45

No wouldn't use W8 it's garbage. I'll use W7 until the next real OS comes out. 

#85 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:47

Yes, when BigMuscle's Aero Glass plugin has been updated and I'm convinced the reliability issues have been fixed.

#86 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1u1

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:50

Yes, when BigMuscle's Aero Glass plugin has been updated and I'm convinced the reliability issues have been fixed.

I have been running Windows 8 since March and Windows 8.1 since September 17th, and i have never experienced a Reliability issue. it has run every peice of software i have thrown at it (games and all) without any issue whatsowhatsoever.

#87 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:50

I'd hate to say, there will be no more traditional desktop only windows like all previous windows before windows 8. The start menu is gone forever

No wouldn't use W8 it's garbage. I'll use W7 until the next real OS comes out. 

#88 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 18 November 2013 - 18:53

I have been running Windows 8 since March and Windows 8.1 since September 17th, and i have never experienced a Reliability issue. it has run every peice of software i have thrown at it (games and all) without any issue whatsowhatsoever.

I was referring to 8.1 and things like the annoying mouse issue in games, I'm running 8.0 at the moment, just without the hideous theme and start screen.