Do you use any Modern Apps?

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use any Modern Apps on a Desktop PC?

• Yes
    • No

Xbox Music, Weather. Thats it. That's just not how I use my desktop. I am either web browsing, coding, or playing video games on it. That said I don't view having the metro apps available as a negative, seeing as I use a lot of them on my Surface.

Nope. I got so annoyed of PDF's opening in Reader (what a ###### app BTW) that I uninstalled them all, just to minimize the risk of ever entering Metro mode.

• Like 3

I use:

1. Mail
  2. News
  3. Music (Only really because I have a Microsoft Wedge keyboard so the media keys are already there for this to just work whereever I am or whatever I am doing
  4. Reader (No adobe for me thanks)
  5. Cut the rope (kids and myself)
  6. Where's my water? (kids and me)
  7. Weather

What I don't use because of reduced needed functionality to the desktop counterpart or because they serve no purpose to me:

1. Videos
  2. Pictures
  3. Skype
  4. Bing
  5. People
  6. Messenging
  7. SkyDrive
  8. Messa

I tried to get into them, but they still make no sense on a desktop or laptop or non-touch screens. I'd rather have my screen real estate with multiple windows which allows me to be more productive.

Yep, I use this apps: mail, news, Netflix, xbox smartglass, xbox music, twitter, metrotube,TuneIn Radio, Amazing Lock Screen. I use others just for the live tiles.

I use them on my HP Envy 4  (no touch) ,so I use the touchpad gestures to switch between desktop and modern, it works pretty well.

Nope. I got so annoyed of PDF's opening in Reader (what a ****ty app BTW) that I uninstalled them all, just to minimize the risk of ever entering Metro mode.

Because assigning default programs is to difficult  :P / jk

I use a few. Calendar, Messaging, OneNote and Weather. Sometimes I play a bit of Minesweeper as well, but that's about it.

Mail, Calendar, Trackage, Music, Skydrive, Code Writer, Weather, News, Alarms, PC Settings, Maps, Reader, various games.

I'll definitely use the alarms in 8.1 on desktop and surface.

Yes I use Modern apps. For instance I use some for card games. I also use the Music and Mail apps along with the Weather app. Currency converter also there. Toms Hardware and Netflix.

I'm all in all quite fond of the Modern apps. 

BTW.. I read something about XBOX music with free music? Where is that at? I do not have the opportunity in my Modern Music app. I live in Denmark. Is it perhaps a US only thing?

Just have the weather app, all other pre-installed apps were uninstalled.

Oh, I do have "Where is My Water?"... so that makes it 2 apps.

News, Reddit on Reddhub, finance, sports, weather, Skype, skydrive, Netflix, Tubelite, Music, reading list, health and fitness, twitter (snapped 1/4), alarms, onenote. 

This is on my desktop, so, a lot.  I think most people don't give metro apps a chance and just write them off.  News app is actually pretty cool. Use more apps on my surface too. There's some great 8.1 apps, really looking forward to the final.  . 

Mail App, Photo, Pinball Fx2, Tetris, Checkers, Basketball Pro, Deal or No Deal, Istunt2, Weather, Xbox Music, Skype,  Xbox video, Skydrive, Twitter and Facebook,

I use a lot of Modern apps in Windows 8 as I like all them, While may not be full featured as Desktop apps, they suit my needs, and for Desktop Apps, I use IE 10, Secondlife Firestorm viewer game, Libre Office, Battlefield 3, World of Tanks, Need for Speed World

All this is on a Desktop PC

Edited by bikeman25

There is only about 8 or so modern apps that I'll use (Netflix, GasBuddy, Flixster, Microsoft Games, Weather etc.), but that is on a once and while basis.

I'm a huge fan of the flat UI look (I think it looks cleaner), but I still think modern apps could offer more features to engage the Windows 8 community.

To me, I think that is part of the problem with these modern apps....not enough features and way too basic. 

I spend about 95% of my time in desktop mode and about 5% on the Start Screen....

But, if more features were introduced in these type of apps, I would probably spend more time using them.

I only use the weather app once in a great while. The modern apps aren't enjoyable to use and relevant unless your screen is touch. My start screen is loaded with desktop programs launch shortcuts and maybe 2 modern apps. The one thing that enraged me first time using Windows 8 was the things that opened in the desktop, opened up in an modern app. I had to go and make everything open in the desktop again, such as music, photos, pdfs, videos, ugh.

First thing I do on any Windows 8 PC is uninstall all the Metro apps, install StartIsBack, and disable the hot corners. It's simply striking how easier this OS is to use once you strip it of all the elements Microsoft is trying to push as the "modern" way of doing stuff - and yes I initially went for a month with the Start Screen: a lesson learned, not going there again. It's really scary how delusional some people at the head of the Windows division are.

• Like 3

Most of those unwilling to use any ModernUI apps (judging by thread responses) are also die-hard Start menu fans (if not fanatics) and basically use Windows 8 like Windows 7 (for whatever reasons).  However, the mere fact that they can do so, even without Start menu bringbacks, merely brings home the point that it is up to individual users - not Microsoft - how Windows 8 is used, even by desktop users.