Do you use any Modern Apps?

182 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use any Modern Apps on a Desktop PC?

• Yes
    • No

Accidentally posted this in a Xbox One thread, I guess that explains it got off topic from Windows to Xbox :)

(OP:) On my desktop, only really IM+ and Mail, which was really surprising to me as I was one of those people who adamantly supported Metro on Windows when it came out. On my tablet & my laptop I absolutely loved Metro IE, Metro Mail, Metro Calendar, Metro everything, but after putting together my first real desktop computer (since XP), I was really surprised by how accurate a lot of the criticisms were about 8 when the previews started coming out.

Still, though, it's not like it gets in my way at all (on the contrary, being able to snap IM+ to the left side of my screen and have the desktop running at the same time is very useful), and I still love using Metro on tablets, laptops, and anything with a touchscreen.

NFL.com Fantasy Football App is sweeeet! Still have to setup and draft in Desktop though ...

Though we are only deploying 8 with Surface Pros, we may have to accelerate our deployment as Lync Modern App is preferred by everyone with a Surface and we have begun getting requests for 8 on the desktop. I'm sure Mail app 8.1 will be more than enough for a great many users with possibly less TCO than full blown Outlook. We shall see. But suddenly, 8 and Modern UI are looking pretty good.

Voted Yes - Calendar(though I miss how it could sync my Gmail account as well), Mail -mostly for notifications and casual use, TuneIn, Xbox Music and (at least for me the most important app of the bunch) - the Freda ebook reader ;), especially since it's supposed to be able to sync up books and book progress between devices.

With a mouse (as I have since the Developer Preview) - that is, incidentally, the way you play it on Steam, where it has been ported.

Why not?  I've played it (Fruit Ninja) from the beginning with a mouse (I have never used Windows 8 on a touch-screen device) - the pointer takes the place of your finger.  It's (literally) no different than running an Android VM pre-Ice Cream Sandwich (at that time, most commonly available Android VMs were based on smartphones, not tablets).  Also, the same game is available on Steam (which doesn't support touch at all) - how do folks play it on Steam?