Looking for a new game. Recommendations?

I need a fun game to play.  Some of the games I enjoyed playing...

Halo
Gears of War
Borderlands
Witcher II
Crysis
Tomb Raider
Assassins Creed
Mass Effect

There are more but that gives the general idea of games I like to play.  I like mostly single player with a long game play time.  Nothing that is going to take an hour or so to beat.  Re-playability is key as well. I play games for fun and when they become more work than fun, I rather not play them.  And games where you have to pause a fight for to long and setup attacks do not really appeal to me either.  Pausing to select a weapon/power is fine  but having to select different enemies, directing companions to attack...eh.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

If long single-player games are your thing, I would suggest looking in to Skyrim.

While not a long game, Spec Ops The Line has a great story.

Red Dead Redemption is long and has a great story, but it doesn't seem to fit in with your list. The same could be said for GTA 4.

If long single-player games are your thing, I would suggest looking in to Skyrim.

While not a long game, Spec Ops The Line has a great story.

Red Dead Redemption is long and has a great story, but it doesn't seem to fit in with your list. The same could be said for GTA 4.

I liked Red Dead Redemption and those kind of games.  Kinda got bored of GTA unless GTA4 provides something new/appealing.  I have been looking at Skyrim.

How long would you say Spec Ops The Line is?

Kinda got bored of GTA unless GTA4 provides something new/appealing.  I have been looking at Skyrim.

Skyrim is definitely worth it. Although with that said, I did end up getting a bit tired of the similar quests.

"I've lost my dagger. Go and find it in this dungeon."

"There's a magical gem that was stolen from me. Go and find it in this dungeon."

"My husband went out exploring in the woods and hasn't come back. Go and find him in this dungeon."

I swear, the NPC's were prone to losing their things...

As for GTA4, I couldn't complete it. It wasn't as fun as previous GTA games due to the car physics. That said, I did get Saints Row 3 the other day, and that is a great laugh!

Oh yeah, Fallout is a great series as well. Although maybe try either Fallout 3 or Skyrim rather than getting both. They have an almost identical type of gameplay, so there would be no point in getting both if you get one and say, "this isn't for me."

I think I would go for Fallout 3 over Skyrim, but I like the post-apocalypse feel and it's got voice acting from Ron Perlman and Liam Neeson. (Y)

Fable 1, 2, 3

Skyrim

Oblivion

Fallout 3

Fallout: New Vegas

Crackdown 1, 2

Oh yeah, Fallout is a great series as well. Although maybe try either Fallout 3 or Skyrim rather than getting both. They have an almost identical type of gameplay, so there would be no point in getting both if you get one and say, "this isn't for me."

I think I would go for Fallout 3 over Skyrim, but I like the post-apocalypse feel and it's got voice acting from Ron Perlman and Liam Neeson. (Y)

I have played Fallout 3 and New Vegas.  I am not at home so kinda hard to remember all hte games I have.  So Skyrim is like Fallout type game play?

Thanks

So Skyrim is like Fallout type game play?

Yep. Just trade in your handguns for swords, nukes for dragons, and a barren wasteland for incredibly beautiful scenery, and I'd say they're the same. Oh, and Skyrim includes magic.

EDIT: Just noticed I missed your question about Spec Ops. It seemed very short, and I completed it in a weekend. But I'm not sure if that is an indicator of how short it was, or an indicator of how much I enjoyed it. I basically couldn't put it down.

Yep. Just trade in your handguns for swords, nukes for dragons, and a barren wasteland for incredibly beautiful scenery, and I'd say they're the same. Oh, and Skyrim includes magic.

Sweet.  Will have to try that out.  Thanks  :)

Not really a recommendation, just a bunch of the latest releases in (loosely) chronological order.

- Diablo III

- Rayman Legends

- Madden NFL 25

- Lost Planet 3

- The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

- Splinter Cell Blacklist

- Disney Infinity

- Saints Row IV

- Payday 2

- Terraria: Collector's Edition

- Metro Last Light

- The Serious Sam Collection

- GRID 2

- Turbo Super Stunt Squad

- Dynasty Warriors 8

- The Smurfs 2

- Painkiller: Hell & Damnation

- The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim (Legendary Edition)

- Deadpool

- MotoGP 13

- Minecraft

- Remember Me

- FUSE

- Resident Evil Revelations

- Fast & Furious: Showdown

- Worms The Revolution Collection

- The Walking Dead

- Persona 4 Arena

- BioShock Infinite

- Tomb Raider

- Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen

- Injustice Gods Among Us

- Ninja Gaiden 3 Razors Edge

You say you played Borderlands? Have you played Borderlands 2? It is much better than the first. I got 90 hours out of it pre DLC and the DLC is easily another 20-25 hours of gameplay.

A few others i recommend

Rayman Legends - Awesome platformer.

Skyrim - Amazing game. I guarantee you won't stick to the main quest after an hour.

Fallout 3, New Vegas - Excellent games. New Vegas for some reason got a lot of flack. I actually preferred it to Fallout 3.

The Darkness 2 - Not a lengthy game but you have a lot of fun playing it.

Dead Island 1, 2 - Not the most interesting games story wise but the gameplay is fun.

Dishonored - Again not a lengthy game but  one of the best FPS' of 2012

You say you played Borderlands? Have you played Borderlands 2? It is much better than the first. I got 90 hours out of it pre DLC and the DLC is easily another 20-25 hours of gameplay.

Borderlands 2 is what I played.  Had a lot of fun with that game.  I will probably be picking up Skyrim tonight.  To bad I have to find it locally since there is not DL from XBOX Market.

EDIT: Just noticed I missed your question about Spec Ops. It seemed very short, and I completed it in a weekend. But I'm not sure if that is an indicator of how short it was, or an indicator of how much I enjoyed it. I basically couldn't put it down.

So, if you remember, how many hours did you play it?

So, if you remember, how many hours did you play it?

I can't remember specifically, but I'd say with the difficulty ramped up it would take maybe 6 or 7 hours. As for the story, if you've read Heart of Darkness or seen Apocalypse Now you'll have an idea of what it's about. The great thing is having to make the tough choices that you come across. Yahtzee gave it a decent review, from what I remember.

Fallout 3/New Vegas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skyrim

I would definatly recommend Fallout 3, you can get the GOTY edition pretty cheap with all the expansions which add hours to gameplay.

I've easily spent 20-30 hours playing it and still havent finished it really.

Deus Ex Human Revolution is one of my favourite games this gen. I still haven't finished that game yet, slowly enjoying my time with it lol.

Other games I think you may like are Hitman Absolution, Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs.

Deus Ex Human Revolution is one of my favourite games this gen. I still haven't finished that game yet, slowly enjoying my time with it lol.

Other games I think you may like are Hitman Absolution, Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs.

I have and played Deus Ex.  I have Hitman Absolution but never finished it.  I was using MS cloud store/save my game and the saved game was corrupted. I  was 3/4 thru the game and it ****ed me off so much I havnt wanted to play it again.

Saints Row IV

FUN!!!  this one got lasers, aliens, tentacle bat to slap people with, it is a clear tribute to the matrix, you have super power, flying machines that switch between jet and helicopter modes, and the cheesy music in the most tense moments, while average running around can be done to the most epic music ever!  

played for 15 hours so far, and i am not bored at all.

(it starts up a bit slow, first 30min-1hours, is so-so, but once you get the powers and upgrades - it is very fun)

Sleeping Dogs  (great fun, GTA clone that is better then original, easily 10+ hours)

Metro Last Light (amazing!     though i admit i played the original russian version,  the english translation is a bit cringeworthy,  does not sound real, or accurate... still, the atmosphere is amazing! 10+ hours)

Walking Dead episodes 1-5(Superb experience, really made me care and put me under pressure!  Never expected it to be so good!   If you have not played it, try it.   Again, it starts very slow, but gets really good soon)

Rayman Legends (i have not played it, but the last rayman was so great, and this one looks even better. love the style)

Got Skyrim Legendary Edition a month ago and I'm already tired of it. I found the gameplay to be way too long especially because it all gets repetitive too soon. AI sucks because my character, currently on level 47, which is not even halfway through, is practically invincible. I don't even bother wasting time with quests anymore, just barging in, getting what needs to be grabbed or killing whoever needs to be killed and walking out. Voice overs and dialogues suck. They only cast like four male and four female actors to voice each and every character of the game. Combat controls suck. It has lots of that 'pause to select power/weapon/shout' issue you mentioned which kind of takes away all the fun. Basically, it'll be a miracle if I finish it, and I haven't even started with the DLCs yet.

I'll second the Sleeping Dogs suggestion. Its like GTA Hong Kong edition. Other games I enjoyed playing this year are Far Cry 3, Dishonored and Tomb Raider.

• Like 1

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, if you haven't played them yet. Both are fantastic games. I literally just played and completed Asylum for the first time earlier this month (currently working on City) and I am so mad at myself for not playing it sooner.

Skyrim could be fun, if it weren't for the broken combat, difficulty spikes, and useless talent system.

Got Skyrim Legendary Edition a month ago and I'm already tired of it. I found the gameplay to be way too long especially because it all gets repetitive too soon. AI sucks because my character, currently on level 47, which is not even halfway through, is practically invincible. I don't even bother wasting time with quests anymore, just barging in, getting what needs to be grabbed or killing whoever needs to be killed and walking out. Voice overs and dialogues suck. They only cast like four male and four female actors to voice each and every character of the game. Combat controls suck. It has lots of that 'pause to select power/weapon/shout' issue you mentioned which kind of takes away all the fun. Basically, it'll be a miracle if I finish it, and I haven't even started with the DLCs yet.

I'll second the Sleeping Dogs suggestion. Its like GTA Hong Kong edition. Other games I enjoyed playing this year are Far Cry 3, Dishonored and Tomb Raider.

Sounds like you need to turn up the difficulty on Skyrim. :p

For the OP,

I would suggest Fallout 3/New Vegas, both very fun. Deus Ex: Human Revolution is also very fun!

I gave Skyrim a fair go, with over 6 hours invested.

It is boring.    Really.    I am not a fan of similar repetitive quests, even if the surrounding landscape is beautiful.

I find it tedious. Witcher 2 is so much more interesting.

Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, if you haven't played them yet. Both are fantastic games. I literally just played and completed Asylum for the first time earlier this month (currently working on City) and I am so mad at myself for not playing it sooner.

Skyrim could be fun, if it weren't for the broken combat, difficulty spikes, and useless talent system.

Agreed.  I have not played Arkham city, and from what I seen it might be not my thing...   But I loved Arkham Asylum.   A total surprice for me, since I expected it to be much worth and only played it because a friend made me.

Sounds like you need to turn up the difficulty on Skyrim. :p

It is not difficulty that is the issue with this game.  It is the game itself.  When I played it, it was challenging.... still did not like it.