Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damo R.

hbo HBO gives pilot to 'WestWorld'

19 posts in this topic

6fd66bf0d7

HBO has given a pilot order for a remake of the 1973 cult classic sci-fi thriller Westworld, and it comes with some pretty impressive behind-the-scenes talent.  J.J. Abrams will executive produce the pilot alongside his Bad Robot partner Bryan Burk, and The Dark Knight scribe Jonathan Nolan will co-write and direct the pilot.  The original film was written and directed by author Michael Crichton and starred Yul Brynner as an android in a futuristic Western-themed amusement park.  Per Variety, the HBO iteration of the story is described as ?a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin.?

Nolan, who currently acts as showrunner on the CBS series Person of Interest, will mark his second time directing with Westworld, as he previously helmed an episode of the CBS series.  He was previously rumored to be in contention to direct Warner Bros.? Man of Steel, produced by his brother Christopher Nolan, but that job eventually went to Zack Snyder.  Hit the jump for more on the potential Westworld series.

Variety reports that Nolan is also acting as executive producer on HBO?s Westworld pilot, as is Jerry Weintraub, who produced the Ocean?s trilogy and Steven Soderbergh?s HBO film Behind the Candelabra.  Joining him as co-writer on Westworld will be Pushing Dasies alum Lisa Joy.

While this Westworld pilot certainly comes with an impressive pedigree, we?ve learned in the past that a talented crew doesn?t necessarily guarantee a greenlight to series from HBO.  Noah Baumbach shot a pilot for The Corrections with Ewan McGregor, Maggie Gyllenhaal, and Greta Gerwig that the network ultimately passed on.  That being said, a high-profile sci-fi project like Westworld would certainly fit in nicely alongside HBO?s fantasy series Game of Thrones.

http://collider.com/westworld-remake-hbo-jj-abrams-jonathan-nolan/

Man, this storyline has SO much potential. It led to Fantasy Island where

people could pay to live out any desire they wished- Superhero, Spy, Villain.

I hope this is a go.

We?ve learned that Sir Anthony Hopkins has been offered the role of Dr. Ford, the man who runs this new version of Westworld.

Dr. Ford is the uncompromising creator of the park and conductor of the creations inside it, and he views the robots as utterly inhuman, little more than livestock. In the wider context of the show, he?s looking like a complex kind of ?big bad?.

But before we get too carried away with one of the greatest actors of his generation taking a recurring role on a TV show, I should say that Dr. Ford is certainly not the show?s main character. A pair of robots from the park seem to be the two principle leads, and those roles have been offered to James Marsden and Evan Rachel Wood.

Wood, would play a character named Dolores Abernathy, while Marsden has been offered the excellently named role of Teddy Flood. They?d be our heroes and our way into Westworld, at least in the early episodes. Just by virtue of one of these characters being female you can tell how much of a departure this is from the original film.

Dolores is created to be a sassy farm girl; the beautiful girl next door type who has no idea that the life she?s living is a lie. She?s essentially a slave to the guests of the park but has no idea ? although this probably won?t remain the case over the course of the series, should there be a full series order.

Flood, meanwhile, would be your classic Western hero. He?s all about adventure and romance; his two pursuits in life are the open plains and, as I?m sure you guessed, the lovely Dolores Abernathy. I?m excited about this particular piece of casting; Marsden has the kind of classic good looks, wit and acting chops to be all kinds of fun in a role like this.

Source

I absolutely loved that movie when it came out.  And, the sequel.

Damn, this sounds good. Loved both the original flicks.

Gonna be hard to find someone to play the Gunslinger quite as well as Yul Brynner did, but I wish them luck!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEFPrfa396OygCkjwfIyQ

has a lot of potential and sounds like they are backing it up with the casting. 

Bhg3jeO.png

Boardwalk Empire?s Jeffrey Wright, Lost?s Rodrigo Santoro and Raising Hope?s Shannon Woodward have joined HBO?s sci-fi drama pilot from exec producers J.J. Abrams, Jerry Weintraub and Bryan Burk and writers Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy.

Additionally, Ingrid Bolso Berdal (Hercules), Angela Sarafyan (The Good Guys) and Simon Quarterman (The Devil Inside) have been added to the ensemble.

Here?s a rundown of who the six new hires will play:

Wright | Bernard Lowe: The brilliant and quixotic head of the park?s Programming Division, Bernard?s keen observation of human nature provides him with boundless inspiration for his life?s work: creating artificial people.

Santoro
| Harlan Bell: Terrifying and brutal, with a dark sense of humor, Harlan is Westworld?s perennial ?Most Wanted? bandit. He subscribes to the theory that the West is a wild place, and the only way to survive is to embrace the role of predator.

Woodward
| Elsie King: A sardonic rising star in the Programming division, Elsie is charged with diagnosing the odd quirks of behaviors in the park?s hosts.

Berdal
| Armistice: A savage fighter and brutal bandit, her ruthlessness with her victims is surpassed only by her abiding loyalty to her fellow outlaws.

Sarafyan
| Clementine Pennyfeather: One of Westworld?s most popular attractions, every aspect of Clementine is perfectly beguiling, by design.

Quarterman
| Lee Sizemore: The narrative director of Westworld, his inspired storylines consistently delight or terrify the guests ? and his artistic temperament consistently grates on his colleagues.

53312404.png

Ed Harris Joins Cast

Four-time Oscar nominee Ed Harris has landed a pivotal role in the premium cable network's adaptation of the sci-fi hit, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Inspired by Michael Crichton's 1973 feature film, the drama is billed as a dark odyssey about the dawn of artificial consciousness and the future of sin.

Harris (The Hours, Pollock, The Truman Show, Apollo 13) will star as The Man in Black, described as the distillation of pure villainy into one man.

So he's the new Yuul Brynner character?  I dunno... I've only ever seen him play nice guy roles... Has he ever played a proper villain?

So he's the new Yuul Brynner character?  I dunno... I've only ever seen him play nice guy roles... Has he ever played a proper villain?

He played bad guys in The Rock, A History of Violence, and Enemy at the Gates that I remember. But those 3 films aren't the same kind of bad guy that Yuul Brynner was playing.

Here's hoping they don't just stick to Westworld, and they spend time in the other areas as well. I'm not sure how this will work out in to a series, the first film was pretty brief in storyline.

It'll certainly be interesting to see, that's for sure.  As you say, the original had very little story behind it, something they tried to change with the sequel Futureworld, and messed up!

Still, Ed as an iconic bad guy... I'm just not seeing it! He's too nice! ;)

1Ofz1.jpg

bjxxH.jpg

Z1E97.jpg

sBnOO.jpg

Hoppo n Harris, bit of Marsden, looking forward to this!

Well howdy....

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/westworld-sexually-explicit-casting-contract-828287

Fully-nude bareback riding and "genital-to-genital touching" are among the acts that background performers on the show may be tasked with at a Wednesday shoot.

Background actors – extras – for HBO’sWestworld were being required Tuesday to sign a nudity and sex consent form that reads like the Kama Sutra and that has SAG-AFTRA officials worried that performers won’t realize that if they get cold feet on set they have the right to withdraw.

Indeed, cold feet may be the least of a performer’s worries.

The explicit consent form itself wouldn’t pass standards reviews at a broadcast network as it recites that the performer “may be required to perform genital-to-genital touching, simulate oral sex with hand-to-genital touching, contort to form a table-like shape while being fully nude, pose on all fours while others who are fully nude ride on your back, [and] ride on someone's back while you are both fully nude.”

Less strenuously, others might simply “have [their] genitals painted.”

>

Still, if any of those “assorted acts” verge on stunt work – as seems within the realm of possibility – the union contract may entitle the actor to be upgraded to principal performer, which brings with it residuals and a boost in pay.

>